Started by Dr Goofy, September 05, 2008, 06:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 08, 2008, 01:28:35 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 06, 2008, 03:58:44 PM
Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 06, 2008, 03:49:55 PM
but i'm not a biologist....i was being ironic only.....not seriously scientific

Its ooooooooooooooooooooooold.

And overdone. Please, I hear enough from creationists to make it so completely unfunny.

I also claim all right to abuse people for annoying me about this stuff, wallow in my mistakes and apologize for it later (if necessary).

fair enough, fair enough...I'm not a creationalist either just conscious, not of intelligent design (sneezes) but of perhaps some pattern to evolution, let's call it natural inclination to environment and stimuli or something along those lines.  We evolved but why only humans, why no other forms of life also?

Oh.

My.

Fucking.

God.

Excuse me, but I need to go apeshit on you for a second.  WHAT THE FUCK YOU MEAN "ONLY HUMANS?"  You believe in mahdjickal extra-reality beings but deny the existence of every animal other than Homo Sapiens?  You've never seen an insect, bird, reptile, or fish?  There are PLENTY of other forms of life on this planet.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

Noticably evolved I mean, as in from (maybe) monkeys, to us supposedly intelligent creatures here today......why has intelligence of this sort come only to us?  I mean no more by it than that it makes me very curious is all. 

why not have other parallel evolved intelligent beings?  I'm trying to deconstruct the idea that evolution's sole purpose was to arrive at US, we who have stayed pretty much the same for thousands of years

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 08, 2008, 03:15:20 PM
Noticably evolved I mean, as in from (maybe) monkeys, to us supposedly intelligent creatures here today......why has intelligence of this sort come only to us?  I mean no more by it than that it makes me very curious is all. 

why not have other parallel evolved intelligent beings?  I'm trying to deconstruct the idea that evolution's sole purpose was to arrive at US, we who have stayed pretty much the same for thousands of years

Monkeys and apes are intelligent.  You're the one assuming that humans are unique here.

Homo Sapiens has changed quite a bit in the past 10-20k years.  For example, (some) humans can now metabolize lactose well into adulthood.

Get this through your head: Evolution has no purpose.  It is nothing more than the conclusion of applying basic probability to a system with random inheritable mutations.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

that's your opinion and that's fine, I'm not here to argue

Payne

Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 08, 2008, 03:41:50 PM

You posted this in the wrong forum if you don't want to argue.

Just saying.

Golden Applesauce

It is not my opinion that many human adults can metabolize lactose.  That is fact.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

Quote from: GA on September 08, 2008, 03:35:51 PM
Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 08, 2008, 03:15:20 PM

Monkeys and apes are intelligent.  You're the one assuming that humans are unique here.

Homo Sapiens has changed quite a bit in the past 10-20k years.  For example, (some) humans can now metabolize lactose well into adulthood.

Get this through your head: Evolution has no purpose.  It is nothing more than the conclusion of applying basic probability to a system with random inheritable mutations.

THAT is your opinion so either prove me WRONG, personally prove your point to put up and cease so be so narrow minded and opinionated eh?

Lupernikes_shadowbark

Quote from: Dr. Payne on September 08, 2008, 03:43:26 PM

You posted this in the wrong forum if you don't want to argue.

Just saying.

good point chief, I have heeded it too ;)

"truth or reguritation of another man's truth, which is better?"  I asked the Master.
"Mu!" was the Master's only reply.

Payne

You're both talking bullshit anyway.

Science has got nothing to do with mysticism, or with either proving or disproving it exists.

Insufficient data.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

that's what I was trying to say, in my rather roundabout way! Lol

I agree with you there mate, just because it can't be proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist and just because something similar has been 'proven' doesn't make it absolute truth...it's a new form of fundimentalism in my mind.....

Payne

Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 08, 2008, 04:21:56 PM
that's what I was trying to say, in my rather roundabout way! Lol

I agree with you there mate, just because it can't be proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist and just because something similar has been 'proven' doesn't make it absolute truth...it's a new form of fundimentalism in my mind.....

Scientific theories evolve as new data is gathered and processed, and as new experiments show expected results.

There isn't yet a Scientific Absolute Proof, but it is a worthy goal to strive for. You CAN prove things, and they WILL be true until a new model comes along and you have to reassess that truth.

Scientific fundamentalism usually comes from laymen who don't really understand what is actually going on and try to impose their own perceptions on results.

Stop hating on science.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

I wasn't, didn't knock science just those people who claim it is omniscient and/or superior to everything else.  All other ideas are wrong, etc etc....closed mindedness annoys me!

I accept science is great and our lives maybe improved because of it, as our knowledge too has been.  However, many of it's adherants don't like established 'facts' (except those we irrefutably know to be true; sun comes up each day, stuff falls down, etc) being challenged by alternate opinions like mine.

One thing that winds me up is someone presenting a modern scientific fact as cast in stone, absolute fact.  I prefer to keep an open mind.  Can't knock science, dude, unless I decide to live in a cave and eat all of my food raw.

Payne

Thing I have a problem with is that while no "fact" as you call it is set in stone, it will evolve over time or be completely rewritten in the next scientific revolution, other explanations (such as yours) for these facts do not make anywhere near as much sense as the scientific explanation.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

fair enough mate, it's all about differing worldviews and experiences; I've had experiences science has failed to explain, therefore i looked for others which seemed to fit better.  They don't have to be right any more than they have to be wrong.  Believe it or not I am very logically minded and this creates no end of problems for me because, while logic cannot explain some things I am sure are the case, the logical part of my mind sometimes refuses to accept them......sigh the lot i have been given eh?

I would love for science to be able to explain a few things to me; only quantum theory has come close but, unfortunately, mathematics was never my strong suit so I've never got my head around that fully

LMNO

Quote from: Lupernikes_shadowbark on September 08, 2008, 04:34:39 PM
I wasn't, didn't knock science just those people who claim it is omniscient and/or superior to everything else.  All other ideas are wrong, etc etc....closed mindedness annoys me!

I accept science is great and our lives maybe improved because of it, as our knowledge too has been.  However, many of it's adherants don't like established 'facts' (except those we irrefutably know to be true; sun comes up each day, stuff falls down, etc) being challenged by alternate opinions like mine.

One thing that winds me up is someone presenting a modern scientific fact as cast in stone, absolute fact.  I prefer to keep an open mind.  Can't knock science, dude, unless I decide to live in a cave and eat all of my food raw.

Wait, what "opinions"?

That you associate weird personal experiences with alien intelligence?  That's not science, dude.  That's called "making shit up".