ITT, You recommend Coffeemakers

Started by AFK, September 09, 2008, 01:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on September 09, 2008, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: Squiddy on September 09, 2008, 07:15:59 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 09, 2008, 04:27:06 PM
French press or KYSFTB.

If you're willing to provide a barely-dressed manservant who will wake up 15 minutes before my alarm goes off to grind the beans, boil the water, and prep the press, I'm game.

I have one of those.  But he's married.  AND he takes most of the coffee to work with him.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Jenne on September 11, 2008, 12:27:09 AM
Quote from: LMNO on September 09, 2008, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: Squiddy on September 09, 2008, 07:15:59 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 09, 2008, 04:27:06 PM
French press or KYSFTB.

If you're willing to provide a barely-dressed manservant who will wake up 15 minutes before my alarm goes off to grind the beans, boil the water, and prep the press, I'm game.

I have one of those.  But he's married.  AND he takes most of the coffee to work with him.

Shit, I'd marry a man if he'd make me coffee every morning. He can even take most of it to work with him. He just needs to leave me one travel mug worth. God damn.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

DCup my friend, you'll go far in life if you continue to keep your expectations that low.

Darth Cupcake

I'm what we in the business call "a cynical twat." :D

LMNO

Do those taste different than regular twats?

Darth Cupcake

LMNO

You should eat more fresh fruit.

LMNO
-taking it too far, again.

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on September 11, 2008, 03:09:10 PM
Do those taste different than regular twats?

I don't know, but I heard Uncle BadTouch prefers frosted mini-twats.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

French press is good, but I prefer cold-brewed coffee.

The cold-brewed process leaves you with a less acidic but concentrated coffee. Which is cool as hell because regular coffee irritates my stomach after the first cup.

It takes 12 hours to brew a batch, however, it keeps well and all you have to do to have "regular coffee" is add 1 part hot water and maybe a quick microwaving. But in the summer, I prefer to just add a little milk or ice cream and drink it cold and strong.

This is the only way to have iced coffee, by the way.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

french press? i had to image-search to check if that was indeed the device you are talking about, are you all insane or or something?

not only is the coffee that comes out pretty mediocre in taste, IMO. but reading the wikipedia article on it, it should capture all the essential oils or whatever. it's hard to explain what i don't like about the flavour, coffee should have a thick quality, the french press somehow doesn't seem to do this. even though wikipedia says it feels thicker than drip-brew-paper-filter-machine-coffee, but then again, i have already postulated in another thread that you americans may have faulty drip-brew machines. then comes the flavour, i dunno, it has a kind of slight hint of cardboard-ish quality to it...?

so yeah maybe the people that made french press coffee for me were doing it wrong. all of them. in exactly the same way. i dunno.

maybe i just like my coffee slightly different. i usually don't like any of the coffee that's served from hyper expensive techno cyber future robot machines in coffeeshops either, yet the black stuff from some grubby old office drip-brew machine can be heaven to me. but even then, i don't get it, the "thickness" or perceived "oilyness" of coffee cannot be that subjective, can it?

i also explained (what i personally consider to be) the best  way to make coffee in this thread. and the plastic filter tool thingy you need for it is only $2 or something.

for me the preferred order is that way, then drip-brew, and then french press.

also Net, i'm intrigued by cold brewing. does it work like i think it works, you just put some ground coffee in cold water and let it stand for 12 hours? i may try this.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: triple zero on September 12, 2008, 01:01:21 PM

also Net, i'm intrigued by cold brewing. does it work like i think it works, you just put some ground coffee in cold water and let it stand for 12 hours? i may try this.

Yep, it's that simple.

Oh man it's so good with ice cream.

"Toddy" kits are available, but it's not necessary. I use the toddy set up because I didn't buy it, however all that is really required is a large container that's easy to pour from, strong coarsely ground coffee and something to filter the grounds out.

Correction: you're supposed to dilute this stuff with 3 parts water to 1 part concentrate if you want "normal" strength coffee. The most I dilute it is usually 1:1.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

East Coast Hustle

how much water to how much coffee grounds to get the concentrate?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"