PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Hurrah, creationism in the UK

Started by Cain, September 12, 2008, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

http://bjoern.brembs.net/news.php?item.434.6

:lulz:

QuoteApparently, the book uses this picture to make the claim that these caddisflies haven't changed for a few million years, so no animals have ever changed (great logic, isn't it?). If you look closely (as PZ has done already in January), you'll see that it actually depicts a fishing lure! It's a dummy only mimicking a caddis to lure fish to bite. Obviously, the flies made by Graham Owen are good enough to lure not only fish, but also creationists!

:lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Quote from: Requiem on September 17, 2008, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2008, 11:31:13 AM
Yeah, the Vatican has gone pretty much as far as it can go without giving up belief in alot of basic Christian scripture on this issue.

That said, I recall the current Pope is not too impressed with it, and prefers intelligent design.  Thurenz might know more, he is very up on internal politics of the Catholic Church.  There is a lot of resistance from American catholics and the Society of Jesus for the current Pope's position though, so it may not be a huge issue.

The current (catholic) pope *hates* intelligent design, and only barely stopped short of calling it heresy when he was a cardinal.  I'll pull up references if I remember when I'm home, have some of his papers bookmarked.

Unless Ratzinger died while I wasn't paying attention?

Looks like he changed his mind, then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/aug/28/religion.pope

There have been growing signs the Pope is considering aligning his church more closely with the theory of "intelligent design" taught in some US states.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2008, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: Requiem on September 17, 2008, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2008, 11:31:13 AM
Yeah, the Vatican has gone pretty much as far as it can go without giving up belief in alot of basic Christian scripture on this issue.

That said, I recall the current Pope is not too impressed with it, and prefers intelligent design.  Thurenz might know more, he is very up on internal politics of the Catholic Church.  There is a lot of resistance from American catholics and the Society of Jesus for the current Pope's position though, so it may not be a huge issue.

The current (catholic) pope *hates* intelligent design, and only barely stopped short of calling it heresy when he was a cardinal.  I'll pull up references if I remember when I'm home, have some of his papers bookmarked.

Unless Ratzinger died while I wasn't paying attention?

Looks like he changed his mind, then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/aug/28/religion.pope

There have been growing signs the Pope is considering aligning his church more closely with the theory of "intelligent design" taught in some US states.
INFALLIBLE STFU
   \\
:hashishim:

Reginald Ret

I say fuck 'em teach creationism but do it sarcastically, only use horribly bad arguments to support it and only after you have taught the kids why those types of argments are faulty.

"non sequitors are bad because the conclusion does not follow logically from the argument"

"creationism is true because god exists"
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Iason Ouabache

How about just having a critical thinking/logic/scientific method class for all incoming high school freshmen?  Would that be too much to ask for???
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2008, 09:57:33 AM
Of course, the problem is once people start thinking, they have this annoying habit of not stopping.  And before you know it, they're questioning the BBC and whether science is a culture-bound mode of thought and we've all become effete, latte-drinking postmodernists, tearing apart the foundations of Western rationality and replacing it with a nihilistic discourse of despair and the end of all grand narratives.

Or something.

Vene

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 14, 2008, 12:45:49 PM
How about just having a critical thinking/logic/scientific method class for all incoming high school freshmen?  Would that be too much to ask for???
Yes, we can't put that on a standardized test.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Vene on October 14, 2008, 02:49:06 PM
It would be easier to convince schools to hire only anti-authoritarian teachers who don't give a shit about what is gonna be tested.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Kai

Quote from: Regret on October 14, 2008, 06:58:58 PM
Quote from: Vene on October 14, 2008, 02:49:06 PM
It would be easier to convince schools to hire only anti-authoritarian teachers who don't give a shit about what is gonna be tested.

Which would (in the US) screw the schools over in the long run since test scores now determine funding for individual schools under NCLB.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

Wait, so if a school does poorly, you *reduce* its resources?

:facepalm:

While we're at it, lets pull cops out of high crime areas, and the military out of the most violent regions.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on September 14, 2008, 01:03:06 AM
As far as I can tell, the Young Earth Creationist/Bible-Humpers are mostly: Baptist, Pentecostal, Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witlesses, and various non-denominationals.

Basically the shit in the flyover states
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

What the fuck is up with everyone bumping my old threads all of a sudden? Have you really got nothing else better to do than discuss threads from 2008?

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pope eros

3 days agoDetails
Like halo
Like gintama
Like insane clown posse
Like hook-up skateboards toymachine dark star
Like dark elder
Like yoshimitsu nightmare reptileman
Like rollercoasters
Like van