News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Post your desktop

Started by Messier Undertree, September 14, 2008, 03:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messier Undertree

Quote from: vexati0n on December 24, 2008, 07:16:40 PM
Hey, no need to get hostile. If endless crashing, rebooting, malware/nagware/vaporware, and failure to meet basic UI and security standards is your thing, go with it. :P

Linux crashes all the fucking time and the only reason it's so virus-proof is because with practically no one using it, people don't really make stuff for that.

That said, I dual-boot a minimal Ubuntu with Enlightenment, Fluxbox and Xfce. I use Windows XP for games.

So yeah. Eat a dick, internet cool kid.

tyrannosaurus vex

os/2 isn't a distribution, it's a failed abortion of a half-completed OS that even on a good day was never intended to be any better than dos 5.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bruno

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on December 24, 2008, 07:21:20 PM
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on December 24, 2008, 07:13:19 PM
Eat my dick.
Hey, no need to get hostile. If endless crashing, rebooting, malware/nagware/vaporware, and failure to meet basic UI and security standards is your thing, go with it. :P

Or you could just not get snotty about people's personal choices.  Jesus Christ, people like you are why I've never even considered using Linux.

There's nothing wrong with using Windows, as long as you didn't actually pay for it.
Formerly something else...

Messier Undertree

And wait a fucking second, you also use Ubuntu.

Ubuntu isn't hardcore enough for you to start getting all snotty about it. Gentoo or GTFO.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Malachite on December 24, 2008, 07:51:13 PM

Linux crashes all the fucking time

only if you do stupid shit to it like run experimental modules/applications or recompile something like an idiot. also, even if linux session does "crash," all you have to do is restart X and get back in, not reboot the whole system. 9/10 times if your system goes down and you have to reboot, it's only because you don't know how to back out of and undo whatever stupid thing you did to get it into that state.

Quoteand the only reason it's so virus-proof is because with practically no one using it, people don't really make stuff for that.

false. there are a few viruses for linux, and guess what? they can't fuck up the system because the system is secure -- it actually protects critical OS components from stupid users, rather than running everybody as global admin like Windows, while also giving users all the rights they need to manage their own environments. linux isn't as obscure an OS as you think, anyway. the vast majority of web servers on the internet run linux, and there are quite a few reasons somebody might want to infect them with viruses.

QuoteThat said, I dual-boot a minimal Ubuntu with Enlightenment, Fluxbox and Xfce. I use Windows XP for games.

So yeah. Eat a dick, internet cool kid.

"internet cool kid?"

lol.

Bruno

Quote from: vexati0n on December 24, 2008, 07:51:54 PM
os/2 isn't a distribution, it's a failed abortion of a half-completed OS that even on a good day was never intended to be any better than dos 5.

Uh, yeah, I'm aware that OS/2 is not a distribution. It was a decent OS back in its day, but it was never developed by its owners and has not yet been released as open source so people can develop it.

Linux used to be a joke too, remember?

QuoteFrom: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Message-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava. Helsinki.FI>
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki
Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating system
(just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.
This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any
feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other
things). I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40),and things seem to
work.This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, andI'd
like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome,
but I won't promise I'll implement them :-) Linus (torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is
NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support
anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: vexati0n on December 24, 2008, 07:57:02 PM

only if you do stupid shit to it like run experimental modules/applications or recompile something like an idiot. also, even if linux session does "crash," all you have to do is restart X and get back in, not reboot the whole system. 9/10 times if your system goes down and you have to reboot, it's only because you don't know how to back out of and undo whatever stupid thing you did to get it into that state.

A crash is a crash, regardless of how you fix it.

Quoteand the only reason it's so virus-proof is because with practically no one using it, people don't really make stuff for that.
false. there are a few viruses for linux, and guess what? they can't fuck up the system because the system is secure -- it actually protects critical OS components from stupid users, rather than running everybody as global admin like Windows, while also giving users all the rights they need to manage their own environments. linux isn't as obscure an OS as you think, anyway. the vast majority of web servers on the internet run linux, and there are quite a few reasons somebody might want to infect them with viruses.

Haha, yeah. Because Linux is MAGIC.

That "sudo" thing you do in Ubuntu doesn't exist on every distro. Also, it's not entirely secure.

And I'm pretty sure anyone who knows what they're doing wouldn't run Ubuntu on a server for security reasons.

Oh, and Linux isn't an OS.

"internet cool kid?"

lol.

Well, yeah. Do you want to tell me that I should use Firefox now or what?

You reek of an elitist nerd who discovered Linux a few months ago and thinks he should pontificate to all of us deluded Windows users because that's the internet cool thing to do.

Both Windows and Linux have positive and negative traits, which is why I use both. And with that in mind, I'm going to go play Fallout 3. Good day, sir.

Cain

And strangely enough, on my Windows laptop, the only major issues have been hardware.  Everyone knows with adequate protection and software not made by Microsoft, Windows is a perfectly usable OS.  Somehow, the interminable tedium of running one malware scan per week doesn't really annoy me as much as learning how to work a whole new OS would.

Bruno

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Malachite on December 24, 2008, 08:11:18 PM

A crash is a crash, regardless of how you fix it.

Haha, yeah. Because Linux is MAGIC.

That "sudo" thing you do in Ubuntu doesn't exist on every distro. Also, it's not entirely secure.

And I'm pretty sure anyone who knows what they're doing wouldn't run Ubuntu on a server for security reasons.

Oh, and Linux isn't an OS.

"internet cool kid?"

lol.

Well, yeah. Do you want to tell me that I should use Firefox now or what?

You reek of an elitist nerd who discovered Linux a few months ago and thinks he should pontificate to all of us deluded Windows users because that's the internet cool thing to do.

Both Windows and Linux have positive and negative traits, which is why I use both. And with that in mind, I'm going to go play Fallout 3. Good day, sir.

Yeah, I have a Wintendo installation for games too, but as a gaming platform, Windows is a) resource-heavy and b) ridiculous due to its delusions that it is also a functional desktop PC operating system.

In all seriousness, though, I'm just being a dickwad today because I get a 4-day break from my job as an IT engineer/consultant where I deal with Windows and its bottomless pit of glitches, bugs, security holes, bad foresight, and nonexistent diagnostic tools. Plus I need to get all this hatred out of my system before the end of the year so I can fill it up again in 2009.

Besides the platform-level inferiority of Windows, though, the philosophy is what really gets me about Microsoft and its products. The idea that I should have to pay twice to use my computer is absurd imho. I already own the hardware, so I shouldn't have to pay some cockamamie "license fee" to enable that hardware to do what it is designed to do. Microsoft spends a great deal of time and effort on deliberately crippling their products just to milk more money out of people.

Plus, I like to be in control of what my hardware is doing. I don't really appreciate my information being sent out, even if it isn't "personally identifiable" information, without me knowing about it. If my computer is reporting something to somewhere, I want to know what, why, and to whom. Windows doesn't allow for that. Also, the idea that I should pay a premium price for an OS based on some assumed superiority to other OS's, and then have to turn around and pay an additional price for add-on software that wastes my hardware resources to protect that supposedly superior OS from various threats, is completely assinine. If the OS is so superior, I shouldn't have to worry about paying somebody else to keep it in working order.

And if you want to get technical, Linux is an operating system, just not one that comes with all the pieces you might expect from one. But I'm pretty sure you knew that "Linux" is both a specific word for an open-source kernel and a general term for operating systems that are built around the Linux kernel.

Bruno

This is getting too complicated for me. I'm going back to my C64.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: vexati0n on December 24, 2008, 08:41:18 PM
Yeah, I have a Wintendo installation for games too, but as a gaming platform, Windows is a) resource-heavy and b) ridiculous due to its delusions that it is also a functional desktop PC operating system.

Good. I would have lol'd in my pants if you said you use Wine for gaming. I used to do that for older games when I couldn't be bothered booting into Windows though.

In all seriousness, though, I'm just being a dickwad today because I get a 4-day break from my job as an IT engineer/consultant where I deal with Windows and its bottomless pit of glitches, bugs, security holes, bad foresight, and nonexistent diagnostic tools. Plus I need to get all this hatred out of my system before the end of the year so I can fill it up again in 2009.

That's understandable. It's always nice to come home to Linux after a hard day of Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer.

Besides the platform-level inferiority of Windows, though, the philosophy is what really gets me about Microsoft and its products. The idea that I should have to pay twice to use my computer is absurd imho. I already own the hardware, so I shouldn't have to pay some cockamamie "license fee" to enable that hardware to do what it is designed to do. Microsoft spends a great deal of time and effort on deliberately crippling their products just to milk more money out of people.

This is the reason I pirate Windows.

Quote from: vexati0n on December 24, 2008, 08:41:18 PMI don't really appreciate my information being sent out, even if it isn't "personally identifiable" information, without me knowing about it. If my computer is reporting something to somewhere, I want to know what, why, and to whom.

Router firewall, software firewall, antivirus, anti-rootkit, PeerGuardian. I'm crazy paranoid whenever I use Windows online.

I wouldn't use it for shopping or anything and I even turn off automatic updates because I don't trust Microsoft.

Sir Squid Diddimus

on pc

on laptop (i got it for x-mas, hence the santa hat)

Shadowdaemon

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2008, 11:37:00 PM
Prisons are for those who cannot exist without preying on others.

Murderers, rapists, thieves, and Halliburton execs. 

Potheads?  Meh.  All they do is sit on the couch, eating Cheetohs.

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 11:05:57 AM
The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."