News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Cooking the Badges way: Just Fucking Wing It

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, September 18, 2008, 07:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Dip in egg, roll in seasoned breadcrumbs (garlic powder, dried herbs, salt/pepper), sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Put thighs on a baking rack (so they don't end up swimming in their own rendered fat), and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until internal temp is 165.  Remove, and rest.  Residual heat will continue cooking so it remains tender as it rests.

BADGE OF HONOR

Hmm.  Would gruyere work instead?  I don't want to have to go to the store.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

LMNO

That would be pretty different. The Parm isn't for melting, really. But a small sliver of gruyere might work. You might want to wait until about 15 minutes prior to it being done before adding it, lest it melt TOO much, and slide right off.

BADGE OF HONOR

A small amount of gruyere crisps up like magic and tastes like the best thing ever.

OH FUCK I just realized they're still in my freezer >.< maybe tomorrow then.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

I just made some sort of bastard frittata/quiche type thing, no crust since I didn't have the means for that.  I guess we'll see how it turns out!   :x

BADGE OF HONOR

Worked pretty well.  Next time I will add some green onion.

Egg thing

8 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
?? cheese
salt
pepper
mustard
pork product
green onion

Mix everything up.  Throw in a deep pie dish thing, oven @350 for about 20 minutes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 26, 2010, 08:30:00 PM
OH FUCK I just realized they're still in my freezer >.< maybe tomorrow then.

I usually defrost stuff by putting it in freezer bags and then in a bowl of hot water. Usually defrosted within half an hour.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Weird fact: You don't want to use hot water when you defrost things because it can partially cook them. Room temp water or even cold water out of the tap is still warmer than the freezer, so it's a more gentle defrost and can still get it done relatively quickly.

I learned this working a few years back when I went to turn the hot water on when I noticed cold water running over defrosting meats. The chef nearly off'd me on the spot.

Dunno about veggies or cheese though... I would just be afraid that too much warmth would eventually melt the cheese.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BADGE OF HONOR

Yeaaahhh my sink is full of dishes so it's the refrigerator for a gentle defrost overnight.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu on March 27, 2010, 03:22:11 AM
Weird fact: You don't want to use hot water when you defrost things because it can partially cook them. Room temp water or even cold water out of the tap is still warmer than the freezer, so it's a more gentle defrost and can still get it done relatively quickly.

Oh, I know. I only use hot water when I don't mind if it gets partially cooked. Which is usuallly not a problem because you want the entire piece of meat at 60 C anyway and only sear the outside, right? And since hot tap water is usually 70-75 C, and cools really really quickly when you put a frozen piece of meat in it, it seems like no problem.

Still the temperature gradient determines the speed at which heat is transferred, so using hot water does defrost the meat quicker.

Though come to think of it, maybe the meat will lose liquids or become brittle if you bring it up to 60 degrees on the outside while defrosting.

I used to use cold water because of the reason you say, but then I thought of the reasoning I just wrote nad started using hot water again for speed .. now I will start trying cold water again and see if it makes difference in quality.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BADGE OF HONOR

The reason for using cold water is food safety.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes; using hot or warm water means that the outer layers of raw meat are sitting at delicious bacteria-incubating temperature while waiting for the core to thaw. If it's a small piece of meat and it only takes half an hour to thaw that's not really a big deal, but some virulent strains of e. coli reproduce extremely fast. If it's a big piece and takes an hour or two, bacteria will have a great chance to have a reproduction-fest on the meat's surface layers.

That's also how e.coli and salmonella are propagated on fresh produce, BTW: growers and brokers who don't keep their produce properly refrigerated, because they assume that unlike meat, fruits and vegetables are not a common conveyor of foodborne illness.

It's recommended that your meat be defrosted under a trickle of cold running water. In Oregon food service, meat may be defrosted outside of the cooler only if it is under cold running water.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Hm. Well usually I only use small pieces of meat that thaw in half an hour, yeah.

Also, since these bacteria are only on the surface of the meat, won't they all get killed when I sear it anyway?

And cold running water sounds like a plan, but wrapped in plastic, I assume?

BADGE OF HONOR

The bacteria don't make you sick, it's the toxins they produce, so cooking will only help if your meat has been stored properly.  If it's been contaminated and left out in warm conditions, you will get sick.