-two small yellow squash like thing
-several banana peppers
-"tabasco" peppers
-hot red peppers
-carrots
-a parsnip
-three small and one large tomato

make stew.

get some cheap meat with lots o connective tissue (otherwise it gets dry and not smooth enough) and fat (otherwise add butter), cut everything up into medium chunks, add stock, water and/or beer or wine and fill a tea-egg with "those spices that taste good but you dont wanna find in your mouth" like cloves, rosemary, juniper berries etc, and start stewing (like two hours on low-to-.

either leave out the zucchini and tomato, or add them at the very end.

or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'd chop it all up, throw it in a pot, add water, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary, and stew it for a couple of hours.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on September 20, 2008, 01:29:14 AM
I'd chop it all up, throw it in a pot, add water, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary, and stew it for a couple of hours.

yeah, something like that :)

also i just saw i only half-finished that post, lol. i'm getting a tendency of writing my posts over the course of several hours, sometimes even days. i wonder if it improves anything..
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Mmm...sounds delish.  I always do apples, sourkraut(sp?) and polska kielbasa.  Potatoes lyonniase on the side.

BADGE OF HONOR

I finally have food!  Time for a triumphant return.

CHICKEN OF BURNING

Ingredients:
-Rice
-Chicken
-Egg
-Flour
-little red chili peppers
-Banana peppers

Break your egg into a shallow pan or deep plate and squish it with a fork (what is the correct terminology?) so that the yolk and whites are mixed up.  Take some flour and put it into another pan/plate, salt and pepper heavily.  Cut your chicken into tender-sized pieces, dip in egg, dip in flour.  Fry in hot butter!  Yummy! 

Cut up some little red chili peppers, throw on chicken while it's finishing cooking.  I used two and they are firey and burny. 

Make a salad out of banana peppers and tomatoes.  I am not clever about salads so I didn't put anything on it.

Voila!

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Addendum:  if I had any garlic I would have added in a whole lot, because, well.  Garlic.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

LMNO

The term you're looking for is "beat".

Should be easy for you to remember.

BADGE OF HONOR

POTATO FRITTERS

Ingredients:
potatoes
egg
salt
fresh lemon

Take a bunch of potatoes.  Peel, cut in thick slices.  Fry in hell of oil until they're lightly brown and cooked all the way through.  Take out, put in bowl.  Mash.  Add egg.  Add salt, because salt and potatoes go together like girls and shoes.  Form into flat, egg-sized patties.  Put back in hot oil and fry until they're brown again.  Pull out, pat dry, and squeeze lemon over.  Trust me, it is good!

Incidental note, fresh lemon juice is great on a lot of things, especially chicken and pasta.

BADGE OF HONOR

I took that picture before that became the thing to do.

BADGE OF HONOR

CHRISTMAS CRUNCHIES

(otherwise known as chocolate crack)

These no-bake cookies are an old family recipe that can only be made when the temperature outside is at or below freezing.  Hence the name.

INGREDIENTS:
16 oz Hershey's milk chocolate1
2 oz baking chocolate
a chunk of butter the size of a walnut2
6-8 cups Wheaties
salt if wanted

Melt chocolate and butter.  Add Wheaties.  Dole out into cookie-sized piles.  Put somewhere cold, preferably behind a locked door.

Seriously, considering the crappyness of all the base ingredients, this cookies is is like sex.  BE WARNED!

1 Hersheys sells bars in 7 oz instead of 8 oz now, but it's a flexible recipe and you don't really need high-quality stuff
2Direct quote

BADGE OF HONOR

Cuban Chicken (it came from a Cuban cookbook but I can't remember the name of the dish)

a couple pounds of chicken, cut into bite sized chunks
an onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 green apples, peeled, cored, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon ground coriander*
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
more cilantro to garnish

Brown chicken in olive oil or butter or something.  Add everything else except garnish, let simmer at least ten minutes.

*I've always preferred fresh-ground coriander because the flavor is a lot richer, but that necessitates dragging out the special dedicated coffee grinder and most people aren't that dedicated

Hubbard Fritters

1.5 cups hubbard squash*, boiled and mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 stick butter (I think, I can't remember exactly right now)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (see above footnote re coriander)
1.5 cups flour
baking powder (exactly how much is still to be determined, but a couple teaspoons at least)
salt

In preparation, one boils and mashes the squash just like you would with potatoes (except for adding milk).  My dad is an avid squash-grower, so we already had ample supplies in the freezer.  Add the egg, butter (melted if the squash isn't already warm), sugar, and nutmeg, then slowly stir in the flour.  Add salt, it definitely needs salt but it's hard to say how much. 

Heat a deep pan of oil, drop in small spoonfuls of dough.  Actually it doesn't seem to matter how big they are, it's just that when larger they cook slower and can be mushy in the middle.  Fry each side til very crispy brown.

Now, the attraction of this recipe is that it is very versatile.  The fritters themselves are basically neutral in flavor and texture, despite having sugar and nutmeg.  They're both absorbant and hearty, so they're good to pair with juicy/saucy dishes.  You could add onions and make squash latkes, or add more spices and sugar to make desserty things.  You could eat them plain with salsa on top.  Or ice cream.  I will definitely be revisiting these suckers.  The great thing is that even people who don't like squash (i.e. my dad, even though he won't stop growing them) like these things.

*Hubbard squash is an orange, sweet squash and could conceivably be substituted with pumpkin etc.

LMNO

Wait... Randian Agenda is Badger?

I am SO lost.

East Coast Hustle

I fucking love hubbard squash. thanks for the fritter recipe Ayn Badge!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"