News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Cooking the Badges way: Just Fucking Wing It

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, September 18, 2008, 07:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

BADGE OF HONOR

I learned a recipe that is much simpler and less intimidating than your regular knead-rise-knead-rise cycle.  And it produces cute little crusty loaves that are exactly what I want out of bread.   :fap:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Kai

Quote from: BADGIAN AGENDA on January 26, 2009, 05:04:29 AM
Here's a recipe my mom used to make, and is now my specialty.

Leek & Potato Soup (Vichyssoise)
3 medium leeks
1 medium onion
1/4 stick butter
4-5 medium potatoes, sliced very thin
4 cups poultry stock
2 cups cream (I usually go half cream half milk but it really depends on the desired thickness and how the weather is today)
salt
white pepper
fresh-grated nutmeg

Mince leeks and onions, sautee in the bottom of a large pot in the butter for 3-5 minutes, or more realistically the time it takes me to slice the potatoes.  Add potatoes and stock, cover pot and simmer until everything is tender (15-20 minutes).  Puree in blender.  Return to pot, add cream/milk in whatever proportions you want.  While it's warming back up, add spices to taste. 

Best served with crusty french bread and kielbasa.

Making this tonight. I has leeks and potatoes....okay, so its gonna be a MODIFIED recipe. More like my classic potato soup with leeks too
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I make bread every other Saturday, and I found out that if I make a sponge the night before and let it rise in a cool place overnight, it turns out perfect with very little kneading the next day.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love potato soup, with or without leeks.

I like it with ham, but my children, for some reason, do not.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

Nigel: this recipe is you make very wet dough, then stick it in the fridge and let it sit overnight.  Then you loaf it with minimal handling and shove it in the oven after a little rising-time.  Very simple.

As far as I'm concerned, leek & potato soup should only be eaten with pork products.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Kai

Quote from: BADGIAN AGENDA on January 31, 2009, 06:23:31 AM
Nigel: this recipe is you make very wet dough, then stick it in the fridge and let it sit overnight.  Then you loaf it with minimal handling and shove it in the oven after a little rising-time.  Very simple.

As far as I'm concerned, leek & potato soup should only be eaten with pork products.

No pr0k in mine. Was awesome, btw.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Mormons Will Begin Arriving By Bus on January 31, 2009, 02:56:39 AM
I make bread every other Saturday, and I found out that if I make a sponge the night before and let it rise in a cool place overnight, it turns out perfect with very little kneading the next day.

TITCM

Overnight slow-rising is the way to go. It's easier and produces awesome bread.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes, yes, the wet dough (sponge) rising overnight in a cool place, that's basically how I make mine! Turns out lovely every time, with a great texture.

whatc

I made oat&wheat rolls last weekend. Thought it was good idea to throw few fistfulls of peanuts in the dough. Result was crunchy and somewhat weird tasting but worked very well with liver sausage.

Also made a basic meat soup from beef,potatoes,carrots,onions and too much pepper.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The soup and sausage sound great, rolls with peanuts sounds :vom: though.

BADGE OF HONOR

Tomorrow I'm going to use the last of my dough to make pizza.  It will be a grand experiment!

BADGE OF HONOR

Someone tell me what to do with several gallons of hubbard squash.  My dad has like five...  :kingmeh:

Richter

Squash it: (I had to.)  Steam / microwave in a dish w/ water.  Mash and add honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.  Obvious idea, shoot me later.

Squash soup:  same rules as pumpkin soup apply.

Squash pie:  Same idea as pumpkin pie, or pumpkin chiffon pie.  Either way, add Drambuie, it makes ANY gourd based pie BETTER.

Also, if these are the crazy huge variety of squash I think they are, have FUN opening them.  Use the most ridiculously large physics applicator you have.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel