Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on January 12, 2009, 12:57:09 PM
Wait... Randian Agenda is Badger?

I am SO lost.

I just noticed that too.  :lol:

Awesome recipe, Randian!

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 12, 2009, 06:49:44 PM
I fucking love hubbard squash. thanks for the fritter recipe Ayn Badge!

YOu're welcome.  On review, I think there was about half as much butter as what I said.  Ultimately it prolly doesn't matter, since it's all getting fried anyway./
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

UPDATE:  Today I made more hubbard fritters, but this time I added a bunch of baking powder, like 2 teaspoons in a half-recipe.  It was a vast improvement, they were light and fluffy crusty instead of dense and crusty.  Also, more salt.  They turned out much more like pancakes.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Here's a recipe my mom used to make, and is now my specialty.

Leek & Potato Soup (Vichyssoise)
3 medium leeks
1 medium onion
1/4 stick butter
4-5 medium potatoes, sliced very thin
4 cups poultry stock
2 cups cream (I usually go half cream half milk but it really depends on the desired thickness and how the weather is today)
salt
white pepper
fresh-grated nutmeg

Mince leeks and onions, sautee in the bottom of a large pot in the butter for 3-5 minutes, or more realistically the time it takes me to slice the potatoes.  Add potatoes and stock, cover pot and simmer until everything is tender (15-20 minutes).  Puree in blender.  Return to pot, add cream/milk in whatever proportions you want.  While it's warming back up, add spices to taste. 

Best served with crusty french bread and kielbasa.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Yeah it is, but she probably doesn't like it that way.

We had it as a soup special at work a few weeks ago and people bitched about it being cold over and over again, and I felt like Alfred from Batman Returns going, "It's Vichyssoise sir, it's SUPPOSED to be cold." like a broken record.

"Your soup is cold."
"It's Vichyssoise, as I said previously before you ordered it."
"What's THAT supposed to mean?"
"It's served cold."
"...WHY?! What's wrong with your chef?!"
*facepalm*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Raphaella

Heh yeah we only served a chilled soup once in my diner and the guest were all WTF? I think it went over better at our Steak House and the Fine Dining restaurant.

Anyway that looks like a yummy recipe to me, I would eat it hot though. I am just as unsophisticated as my guests... sometimes. 
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on January 28, 2009, 08:35:42 PM
Yeah it is, but she probably doesn't like it that way.

We had it as a soup special at work a few weeks ago and people bitched about it being cold over and over again, and I felt like Alfred from Batman Returns going, "It's Vichyssoise sir, it's SUPPOSED to be cold." like a broken record.

"Your soup is cold."
"It's Vichyssoise, as I said previously before you ordered it."
"What's THAT supposed to mean?"
"It's served cold."
"...WHY?! What's wrong with your chef?!"
*facepalm*

I hear you. No point in serving stuff like that to a customer base that you (should) know won't get it. I'm guessing the chef was just feeling a little too pretentious that day to call it "potato and leek soup". I have those days too. I put a petit filet with duxelle and sauce espagnole on the special board one night and sold exactly none of them. the next night my tenderloin with brandied mushrooms and brown sauce was a HUGE hit.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

I work at a pretty nice place. We have a fucking Bistro Prix Fixe on Mondays and Tuesdays, and I hate spelling it out to people who don't get it or don't know how to read.

Menu says:

Bistro Prix Fixe: A 2 course bistro menu and your choice of dessert. Special changes daily. $19

Customer says: "Yeah uh, what is this Bistro Pricks Ficks?"

Me: "You mean the Pree fee? Tonight's offerings are *yadda yadda*."

Customer: Well I don't like that, can I substitute a burger?"

Me: "No, it's our special of the evening, I don't think you'd want to pay $19 for a burger."

Customer: "Your burgers are $19?!"

*facepalm*

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

but if you write it on your menu

<Fancy Name> is a delicious COLD soup made from ... ... .. wonderfully refreshing because it's served below room temperature.

but then in a really proper fancy menu writing style. they should get the hints, no?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

People tend to lose whatever tiny shred of reading comprehension they had the minute they set foot inside a restaurant.

Suu

Quote from: Dirtytime on January 28, 2009, 11:51:39 PM
People tend to lose whatever tiny shred of reading comprehension they had the minute they set foot inside a restaurant.

TROOF.

Another one is our Southwestern Chicken Salad Wrap.

I don't even have to THINK too hard about that one to know that...

A: Southwestern = spicy
B: Chicken Salad is chopped chicken in mayonnaise with other condiments
C: It's a wrap!

THIS IS ALL SAID ON THE MENU

The questions I get are mindnumbing.

Pariah

Quote from: RWHN on September 18, 2008, 02:19:59 PM
Also, Maine potatoes > Idaho potatoes.

We don't have much to brag about so I try to work it in wherever I can.   :D

Oh and what? Idaho does?
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

East Coast Hustle

losing potatoes pretty much leaves Idaho devoid of anything to brag about, with the possible exception of that one golf course just outside of Twin Falls.

BADGE OF HONOR

Well obviously I was eating leek & potato soup, not vichyssoise.   :lulz:

Anyway, over the weekend I taught myself how to make bread.  I am very happy now.