News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

To crap with the Chevy Volt

Started by Jasper, September 22, 2008, 08:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourning Star

Whatever.  I happened into IRC in the middle of an "argument"

There were links posted, so I did some reading to get informed of the situation.  And Triple Zero made some valid points, that I agreed with, and I stated my agreement.

I don't think I should have to run off to the board every time I have an opinion.  Since you were right there, I stated my opinion to you in real-time.  You proceeded to throw a tantrum and log out.

So, I will repeat here, what I was in the middle of saying when you ran off.

You come to IRC, and start fights with people, and if I try to intervene, because with the exception of the few of you that seem addicted to drama, nobody ELSE wants to put up with that shit, I'm accused of all sorts of crimes from "Censorship" to "Telling you what to do"  But when someone actually tries to bring a legitimate criticism to you, you bitch at them for attacking you, and, I quote you here "Injecting bullshit into [your] day."

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.  If you don't want me to intervene when you're being a dick to someone.  Don't think I'm going to do it when someone's being a dick to you.

And in this case.  Nobody was being a dick to you.  There were valid criticisms, which you chose to interpret as a personal attack, and the way you reacted to them was childish.

Jasper

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 13, 2008, 01:25:53 PM
you guys are cute.

Nigel is right as fuck about IRC though.

I don't really see how.  She's just trying to "start shit", after all.

East Coast Hustle

I don't see you in IRC much.

actually, I've never seen you in IRC.

how are you qualified to have an opinion about whether or not IRC is too often used for back-channel shit-talking?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 13, 2008, 06:47:09 PM
I don't see you in IRC much.

actually, I've never seen you in IRC.

how are you qualified to have an opinion about whether or not IRC is too often used for back-channel shit-talking?

I've been on IRC about a dozen times since I've been back, and often before then. 

Triple Zero

> Were you hoping that what happened would happen... that people would agree with you, so that if I happened to actually show up you could gang up
> on me? Fuck off.

this was of course not my intention, and frankly, i'm a littlebit surprised that you even consider it.

nigel all i did was ask the channel if i was the only one that thought your tone was being overly harsh. not to "protect" felix (he defended himself well enough before i even read the thread), just because i noticed it and it was distracting me from the actual topic of the thread. i wondered about it. i did consider replying to the thread but i figured it would just jack it off-topic and create exactly the shit-pile you feel you were a victim of, it wasn't (and still isn't) important enough to bother the entire forum with.

yet i felt the need to comment, so i asked an *IMO* rather innocent question on IRC. and not behind your back or anything, because you were right there in the channel as well, and even if you were idling, i knew fully well you'd have a notification set for when your name is said, which i did. had i wanted to plot against you and gang up on you, i'd have said "n i g e l" or "n1gel" or just used PMs, wouldn't you think? (btw if i would actually notice someone trying that i would immediately jump to your defense, Nigel).

but this little question turned out to be a huge frickin golden apple and i am sorry this whole thing happened and that you feel shat upon.

however that doesn't take away the core of the problem, which i feel needs to be addressed or history is bound to repeat itself, as this isn't the first case that emotions ran high after someone commented on a thread on PD. and i feel this is a sad state of things, because #discord is attached to the PD community so it would be kind of difficult if

we weren't allowed to discuss happenings on PD anymore, at all.

or only unambiguously positive things.

or only when not naming any names.

or if we had to submit a duplicate to the relevant thread of every comment made on IRC about this thread, on PD (i could write a bot to do this and you can perhaps imagine that would get real annoying, real fast).

i don't know the answers either, but then again, i'm not most people and i couldn't give a flying fuck if someone in IRC would comment to me on something I posted on PD. but apparently others do, and what i do give about is when people i care about get all upset.

if people would really want to be plotting against me, they'd use a more private messaging and i'd be none the wiser. and if people want to gossip about me, they do it regardless of whether i'm around. better to let it out than bottle it all up in fear of me exploding in rage (hah can you imagine).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When I start on someone in IRC, it's someone I've already said the same shit to on the board, so they don't feel ambushed. You think Daruko didn't have fair warning regarding my opinion of him? Then you haven't been reading. That's the ONLY person I've started shit with on IRC. For the most part, I get on IRC for some fluff and to pass the time. I really didn't appreciate being ambushed in the middle of my workday by someone who was too goddamned weak to post criticisms here in the thread where it was relevant, but instead took it to a different venue where I had no reason to expect it.

My feeling is, if you have an issue with something someone posted on the board, be brave enough to post about it on the board, where you have to own your words later on. If you want to fight it out in IRC after that, that's cool, but saving it up for IRC is flat-out bullshit IMO.

I'm not a non-confrontational person, and if someone is being an idiot AND being snippy about it with me, I'm going to either call bullshit or mock them for my own amusement until they shut up. I don't know why Felix, in particular, is supposed to be exempt from this, when I've seen, received, and dished out plenty of similar treatment and no one said a peep.

Or maybe this is turning into the kinder, gentler PD, in which case, what the fuck.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I promise you one thing.

this will NOT turn into a kinder, gentler PD on my watch.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

Quote from: Nigel on October 13, 2008, 11:52:39 PM
I'm not a non-confrontational person, and if someone is being an idiot AND being snippy about it with me, I'm going to either call bullshit or mock them for my own amusement until they shut up.

Quote from: Nigel on September 28, 2008, 02:01:03 AM
I am a confrontational cunt. Just giving you a heads-up.

:lulz:  Sure Nigel.  We believe yuo.

East Coast Hustle

hey Felix, aren't "not non-confrontational" and "confrontational" the same thing?

:lulz:

Jasper

Oh whoops, I wasn't expecting a double negative.  My bad, I'll be on the lookout for bad grammar.

BADGE OF HONOR

000 you might want to consider that some things are better-received posted on the board where one has time to digest and respond to a message, instead of having the ability/necessity to instantly respond with the immediate emotional reaction.  It's how IRC turns into stupid drama shitfests, and in this case you started it.  Just think about it the next time you feel the need to pick at something.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Also, 000.  I was there, and it was basically completely unwarranted and stupid.  Don't do that, god damn it.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Jasper

I think what happened is this, someone correct me if not;

I was in a pissy mood the other day, after trig class.  It happens often.  On IRC, 000 said something in response to a random comment I made with words to the effect of "Maybe if you had any knowledge at all about psychology" and I responded with bile.  He didn't mean it that way, and I forgave him as graciously as I could, having misinterpreted. 

So I think 000 was assuming I was being thin with criticism because of this thread, and spoke with Nigel on my behalf. 

I rather wish he didn't, but appreciate that he meant well.

If I'm reading the situation correctly.

Eve

This thread is real cute, guys.  :lol:

Quote from: Payne on October 13, 2008, 04:04:43 PM
I don't even know if I should post this, but what the hell.

People tar IRC with the gossip/backstabbing/plotting brush all the time.

I feel like I'm personally included in that, because I'm in IRC quite a lot more than the people who say these things. Maybe I'm not, I dunno. It just feels I'm being tarred with the same brush.

All I really want to say is while it DOES happen in IRC (from a certain point of view), it is not endemic, constant or even particularly serious. Certainly no worse than people using PMs or instant messengers for the same purpose.

TITCM. I feel like I'm being labelled with the drama pot just for being in IRC fairly consistantly. There's drama there, sure, but if you think it's more than what's raging through this board, plz to look around more.

Anyway.. my unqualified views of the OT leave me stuck on this one part: if all these other sources of energy/fuel/power were so accessible, as I think Felix has been saying, wouldn't they be in use?

GUISE, I HAS TEH DUMB.
        \
:mullet:
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

East Coast Hustle

I think what happened is this. someone correct me if I'm wrong:

you guys need to pull your balls out of your vaginas and stop whining like bitches about something that happened on the internet.

that goes for everyone involved in this trivially stupid argument.

Even you, Nigel. In spite of the fact that my instinctive emotional reaction is to agree with you and defend your position, it's still trivial and needs to be gotten over.