News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Lifelike animation?

Started by Cain, August 20, 2008, 10:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

That last part with the specular thing was fucking awesome.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

The uncanny valley can take a break.  That was magnificent.

Xooxe

I can't help but be pedantic, but how can it be a "wholly computer generated animation" if they are still using motion capture? It just seems like more of a well needed step in the progression of digital animation to me, rather than a revolutionary technique, but that wouldn't make for good publicity. Also, it's hard to tell how convincing it looks at a decent resolution.

The heralded "new era for computer games" usually comes at the price of ever increasing development costs while smaller commercial failures hold greater consequences. Risk averse publishers then become more afraid of exploring the medium. Yay for progress!

The technology is impressive though. The world will become even more insane when this kind of thing can trick forensic examination.

Jasper

It's wholly computer generated in that they don't use images from photos but still manage to closely mimic photorealism.

The main point of the technology is not to defeat some principle of animation, but to make better games.  Which it does.  The technology to make computer generated facial movements can't be far off though, if we already have this technology to develop the software.

Xooxe

Quote from: Felix on October 01, 2008, 04:50:21 AM
It's wholly computer generated in that they don't use images from photos but still manage to closely mimic photorealism.

The main point of the technology is not to defeat some principle of animation, but to make better games.  Which it does.  The technology to make computer generated facial movements can't be far off though, if we already have this technology to develop the software.

Ah, right. I was thinking "animation" in terms of the mesh's animated movement rather than the movie clip as a whole.

Quote from: Felix on October 01, 2008, 04:50:21 AM
The main point of the technology is not to defeat some principle of animation, but to make better games.

My gripes were more with the article than the technology.

Jasper

Bruno

Uncanny Valley? Don't they make that delicious ranch dressing that tastes just like a real ranch?
             \
Formerly something else...

Jasper

Looks like Bruce Willis after seeing 2 Girls 1 Cup.

Bruno

Wat choo talking bout Bruce Willis?
                \
Formerly something else...