News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Sausage, Cabbage and Rice

Started by Bruno, October 04, 2008, 02:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

This is a simple, cheap recipe that I really enjoy and have been making for a long time. It's been a while since I've made any, but a few days ago I made up a big batch, which I just finished, and I'm still craving more.

1 lb sausage ( I used Purnell's "Old Folks" Smokehouse sausage)
1 large head of cabbage
1 cup dry rice ( I used fragrant Jasmine rice)

Scramble and fry the sausage in a large pot. While this is cooking, start on the rice.

Chop the cabbage into strips, removing the core.

Put the cabbage in the pot with the sausage, and stir it up real good. Stir every couple of minutes to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom.

When cabbage is done, stir in the rice.

I usually add different seasonings to every bowl as I eat it.I usually just put salt and pepper on it, but this time I tried some Kikoman's soy sauce, and that was pretty damn good. Soy and toasted sesame seed oil is also damn tasty.

Ima hafta fix me up another bucket of this stuff soon. I think I may throw in some browned onion and spinach next time.
Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

YUMMM it reminds me of something my grandpa used to make!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

I bet bacon instead of sausage would be -> :fap:

LMNO

dry rice? Don't you need some liquid?

Bruno

1 cup dry, before it's cooked, which would be about 3 cups cooked. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I just used water, but I'm sure broth or something would be good too.

Sir Squid Diddimus

you can cook all this in residual bacon grease, and then add the crumbled bacon.

(my dad used to make a thing similar to this, without rice)

Bruno

This is actually the first time I have added rice, and I was pretty happy with the result.

I'm definitely going with bacon in the next batch.

Jenne

I actually do this for St Paddy's day--I bake cabbage in bacon grease and crumbled bacon, with a little potato thrown in.