News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Discordia and Christianity

Started by Paiyaku, October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paiyaku

I don't know if this has either been asked before or never asked before, but I'll ask anyways.

Although Discordia is a chaos-based religion. It does have a deity that it's followers hail to and other religious practices. Is it possible for a Christian to enjoy being a Discordian, but not hail to Eris(sorry if mispelled) I don't want to start any rants, debates, or arguements over christianity. I know the majority of people here are pretty random and closer-minded to the god of madness on Oblivion, Sheogorath. I am also like this though. I enjoy random chaos, confusing people and causing complete madness. It's fun, at church to make teens stop putting their backpacks in the hallway all over the floor, I fill their bags with leaves and dirt, sometimes tissues or whatever i can think of.
Anyways, back on topic. Is it possible to be dominantly christian, but still take part of Discordia? No goddess worship. If it's possible to place God instead of Eris or something. If anyone on here can help me out, that would be great.
I have asked this before in the past and got nothing useful. I hope someone can shed some light for me.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Paiyaku

lol, this is what I was talking about. Is there anyone on here that is human enough still to give me a straight answer?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Christ isn't a god as far as I can tell from the year I spent in a Christian fundamentalist cult, so go for it. The Christian bible doesn't deny other gods, it just tells you to forsake them, but Christ kind of absolves you from that anyway.

Did you actually READ the Principia Discordia? The answers are to be found therein.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Paiyaku

I'll read it, but I merely wanted to know if I can be a discordian by upholding the ways of causing chaos and other discordian things, but not hail to eris or have anything to do with eris.

Cramulus

troll

why are you asking other people what the rules of Discordia are?
Think for Yourself, Shmuck!

Cain

LMNO has relevant Bible citations.  Wait until tomorrow.

Golden Applesauce

Call yourself whatever you want.  But I get the feeling you don't have a strong grasp of any religion at all.

Quote from: GA on June 10, 2008, 05:54:21 AM
The thing about Christianity is that it is such a wide tradition, with so many interpretations and subgroups.  So many different kinds of people label themselves as Christian that I think the word has really lost most of its meaning.

But I think there are significant philosophical differences between Christianity and Discordianism.  Christianity has a variation on God as the one who creates the world out of the formless chaos and brings order to it.  He is the Law-Giver.  Sin is defined as what separates one from God - the concept of authority is central to a lot of Christianity.  Same for rules.  The Rules are good because the infallible Law-Giver made them; you, as a fallible human being shouldn't try to create your own rules because you'll probably screw it up.  Some branches leave interpreting what God wants you to do to tradition, to a college of bishops w/ pope, to a community of believers, or to the Bible.  If an individual ever has to figure out the right thing, he has to do a lot of praying.

Discordianism has an entirely different stance.  Rules and order simply aren't necessary.  Discordianism doesn't really admit that there ever has been a Law-Giver, and if there was, then he could either be followed or not.  The concept of Authority as something that someone possesses by virtue of being omnipotent or omnibenevolent or creator is foreign; in Discordianism, the only authority that another has over you is the authority you choose to grant him.  The only rules that exist are the ones you place on yourself.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM
I know the majority of people here are pretty random and closer-minded to the god of madness on Oblivion, Sheogorath.

:lulz:

ETA: That should go on our news ticker.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Dr Goofy

Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2008, 04:32:59 AM
troll

why are you asking other people what the rules of Discordia are?
Think for Yourself, Shmuck!

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:23:45 AM
lol, this is what I was talking about. Is there anyone on here that is human enough still to give me a straight answer?

Here's the straightest answer you'll likely get after a post like that:

We don't worship madness.  We don't even generally approve of madness, unless you're especially good at it.  What most of us do approve of is a practice known as thinking for yourself.  What it means to be a Discordian is fairly mutable, but what we're definitely not is moral relativists or stark raving loonies.  

To answer your question, there are NO RULES in Discordianism.  Not even the part about it being a religion.  Not even the part about it being a Joke.  Where there are rules is in Christianity, which affirm that Apostates are totally fucked and can never get into heaven.  Enjoy your ban.

That said, I am fairly certain you are a troll.  

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:23:45 AM

Also, Cthulhu fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Paiyaku

well I am reading the discordian book and it says not to believe anything you read so... lol do I disbelieve the book? if so then the discordia shouldn't exist.

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 04:46:46 AM
well I am reading the discordian book and it says not to believe anything you read so... lol do I disbelieve the book? if so then the discordia shouldn't exist.

Yet here we are.

Alethias

Jesus saves, but Eris is a better lay.