News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Discordia and Christianity

Started by Paiyaku, October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 05:44:56 AM
I didn't say that, I'm trying to understand if Discordia is chaotic, random, and that being the reason for the random tidbits and quips on everything I see on the site.

Try this, then:

The universe is chaotic and random, and Discordia is my measured, pragmatic response to it.

Cain

Please read this article.  It will help you understand my criticisms of your questions

http://www.anxietyculture.com/metaphys.htm

Dr Goofy

The problem is you are trying to define something that doesn't have a definition. Like putting a square in a round peg!

tyrannosaurus vex

non-discordians put the chicken in the coop because they don't want it to get out.
discordians put the chicken in the coop because they're afraid of what they might do to the chicken, sexually.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: vexati0n on October 07, 2008, 05:32:21 AM

discordianism is a lot of things, but mainly, it's one of the few living religions around these days.
This is very good, btw.  I had never thought of it that way but it's very true.  All of the major religions stop living centuries ago.  I think it's because of how they treat holy books and their authors.  Discordianism is still living because we don't treat our predecessors like gods. They were just schmucks who happened to have some really good ideas.  If we are lucky we can be as good or better than them. You don't get that in other religions due to the high amount of "ancestor worship".
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

tyrannosaurus vex

this thread was supposed to be dead.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Payne

And it was till I posted in it.

Paiyaku has many things working against him/her/it.

1- The username, to begin with (goddamn, I bet it's a malachite alt! :P).

2- As Cain says, Platonicism is NOT helping.

3- An inability to string together all the helpful and, for a change, coherent advice offered in this thread.

4- An unwillingness to expand on his/her/it's reasons for not wanting to accept Eris as part of the package. I don't either, btw, but I know why I don't. Most people here ignore that aspect too. Are you still too hung up on Christianity to really think for yourself?

5- Paiyaku has not read the BiP.

I'm not really caring about this thread at all, I just wanted to write another list.  :D

the last yatto

You dont hail eris like you would some satan newager, so you dont have to worry about going to hell, infact Zeus and Eris used to be friends, not sure if he ever called back. Herra was a little mad at him for not choosing her, and that Paris choose Beauty over family and wisdom. and secretly blames her, thus why you MUST NOT EAT A HOTDOG ON FRIDAY.

You hail her like a cab, someone holding the map to your reality. Ask her where you wanna go...

Quote from: Dr Goofy on October 07, 2008, 06:23:25 AM
Like putting a square in a round peg!

i knew i should have copyrighted that :argh!:

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Nose extractor

It is hard to give someone an answer when the question has already been answered by themselves in their own head. Especially when there is no answer.

Which goes for everything. Always.

LMNO

Yay!  Two Cents!  Mine!

Ok, Pai.  First off, you had mentioned not wanting to "mis-represent" Discordia.  Why do you want to "represent" Discordia in the first place?  Is there some sort dissertation going on?

Secondly, Discordia can be called a "Chaos Religion," but only if we get to define the terms.*

Term 1:  "Chaos" is defined as a combination of Order and Disorder.
Term 2:  "Religion" is defined as a subjective belief structure.

So, Discordianism (actually, I usually call myself an Erisian, because it's shorter to type**) can be defined as "a subjective belief structure based around the combination of Order and Disorder."

As to your other question, I think somone above said it best, "Christianity is not Discordian, but Christ probably was."

I'm in a mood to answer some more questions, if you have any.  However, keep in mind that this is the second thread I've clicked into today.  If the rest of the board is filled with fucktarded fail, I might get crankier.

*Please note this is only my definition.  Other Discordians' definitions may vary.

**I'm lying.  That's not why.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

my two cents?

if you're worried about what "God" will think, you probably have no business here.

please to note that this is not the same as "if you believe in God, you can't be a discordian".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Payne

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 07, 2008, 01:35:08 PM
my two cents?

if you're worried about what "God" will think, you probably have no business here.

please to note that this is not the same as "if you believe in God, you can't be a discordian".

Cramulus

you guys remember how one of the most fun ways to troll pagan forums is to show up dressed as a fundie Christian and wait for people to start shouting OPPRESSOR?

I think our trolls commonly mistake us for pagans. Then they come in to an irreligious forum trying to have a religious debate. They rarely stick around after page three, because no one is pissed off by their questions, in fact people enjoy answering them. Sure you can be a Christian Discordian, we don't care! She don't either.

It's cute.

LMNO

What's great is that each time, we get a bit better about explaining ourselves.