News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Discordia and Christianity

Started by Paiyaku, October 07, 2008, 04:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 05:23:21 AM
I got it.
The erisian stuff is bull lol, but discordia is pretty cool. I don't see it as a religion as it is a religion within a joke and a joke within a religion. all in all, it is a joke, chaos, madness, but with logical circumstance.

It seems like it resonates with some part of you, which is awesome. I think, personally, that Christ is compatible with Discordianism, but not necessarily that Christianity is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Quote from: Nigel on October 07, 2008, 05:27:58 AM
Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 05:23:21 AM
I got it.
The erisian stuff is bull lol, but discordia is pretty cool. I don't see it as a religion as it is a religion within a joke and a joke within a religion. all in all, it is a joke, chaos, madness, but with logical circumstance.

It seems like it resonates with some part of you, which is awesome. I think, personally, that Christ is compatible with Discordianism, but not necessarily that Christianity is.

Exactly.  We're not about to excommunicate you for being an xtian, but they might.

Paiyaku

Well, do tell me where I am wrong in my understanding of Discordia. I have seen videos of how the apple of discord is used, to make people confused and think you just placed a grenade on the ground, but it's an apple to their surprise. I don't want to get into the Erisian worship or hailing of it, but the chaos and randomness of Discordia.

tyrannosaurus vex

honest attempt #?? (lost count):

discordianism is a lot of things, but mainly, it's one of the few living religions around these days. and i'd like to keep it that way, which is why i can't offer any kind of answer to the "what is discordianism" question.

a joke disguised as a religion / a reliigon disguised as a joke

both statements are true, in no particular order. if you don't understand, it's because you think religion is something that tells you about reality. but religion can't tell you about reality, it can only describe reality as somebody else sees it. discordianism, on the other hand, doesn't try to do that. it tries to trick you into seeing reality for yourself.

chaos, discord, and order are all illusions. discordianism is only a chaos religion in that it has a disregard for what you're "supposed" to recognize as 'chaos' or 'order.' it seems like chaos because when you stop seeing things the way they are presented to you, it becomes pretty apparent that everybody is fucking crazy.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 05:31:59 AM
Well, do tell me where I am wrong in my understanding of Discordia.

That you think there is an "it" to get.

Objectivity, in short.  Overlooking subjective and personal interpretation for a nonexistent "true" answer or secret as to what Discordianism "is".

Paiyaku

I am just trying to find definition to the term Discordia. If it is a chaotic religion, then I wasn't wrong earlier when I said it was a religion driven by madness and insanity, (not the words I said per se, but you get my drift)
One of my friends asked me when he found out about Discordia, "Can you just be random and say what comes to your head and be discordian?"

tyrannosaurus vex

you can do whatever you want and be discordian. everybody's a discordian because everybody's fucking crazy.

except Nixon. that guy... was 100% robot.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Discordianism is whatever Discordians do.

Please leave your Platonism at the door, at least for now.  You may want to go back and grab it later, but right now it is hindering you.

Paiyaku

So being random and mad is discordian? As you say, being crazy is discordian.

Jasper

What was that one law of stupidity?

"A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person."

I call troll.

Cain

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 05:39:25 AM
So being random and mad is discordian? As you say, being crazy is discordian.

Thats not what I said at all.

Paiyaku

I'm not trolling, I'm making sure I have no confusion on Discordia so I don't misrepresent it.

Jasper

Quote from: Paiyaku on October 07, 2008, 05:41:22 AM
I'm not trolling, I'm making sure I have no confusion on Discordia so I don't misrepresent it.

You're obviously misunderstanding (EDIT) on purpose at this point.  We've given unusually consistent accounts of Discordia, and you still think we're like some cartoonish video game cult.

Paiyaku

I didn't say that, I'm trying to understand if Discordia is chaotic, random, and that being the reason for the random tidbits and quips on everything I see on the site.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: vexati0n on October 07, 2008, 05:37:59 AM
you can do whatever you want and be discordian. everybody's a discordian because everybody's fucking crazy.

except Nixon. that guy... was 100% robot.

Don't fucking dis my man Nixon.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."