News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

1) cod and scrod are two different species.

2) bluefish can be treated exactly like mackerel as far as how to cook them.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

It's just a rhyme we had when I worked at a seafood restaurant in Florida. The Northerners would never want to eat anything local, so they always asked for scrod, cod, or haddock.

Then of course, the REAL fun was trying to explain that a dolphin is mahimahi and Flipper is a porpoise to the tourists too. I was very happy when they finally updated the menus from "Blackened Dolphin Sandwich" to "Blackened Mahimahi Sandwich".

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Quote from: Suu on October 20, 2008, 11:26:01 PM
It's just a rhyme we had when I worked at a seafood restaurant in Florida. The Northerners would never want to eat anything local, so they always asked for scrod, cod, or haddock.

Then of course, the REAL fun was trying to explain that a dolphin is mahimahi and Flipper is a porpoise to the tourists too. I was very happy when they finally updated the menus from "Blackened Dolphin Sandwich" to "Blackened Mahimahi Sandwich".

Question: How expensive was the cod? Was it north atlantic (very very unlikely) or pacific?

It seems all to often that restaurants sell what they call cod but is actually something else.

Edit: also http://amphidrome.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/fishmonger-fraud/ Relevant to topic.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

We didn't serve cod, people always just asked for it. We served local fish that local fisherman would bring in on a daily basis.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Quote from: Suu on October 21, 2008, 12:03:15 AM
We didn't serve cod, people always just asked for it. We served local fish that local fisherman would bring in on a daily basis.

Oh, alright, sorry for the misunderstanding.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

No it's cool. I actually took pride in knowing that all of our fish was local and fresh. It was a lot of fun wondering what we were going to get in on a daily basis.

LMNO

It's kind of cold out...  Let's do something with beef short ribs.  Salt and pepper them.

You know the score by this point.  Onions,

Garlic,

And, as a surprise guest, carrots.

So, get your pot as hot as it can get, and sear those ribs.

After they've browned,  remove, lower heat, and throw some flour into the pot. 

After a couple of minutes, throw in the veggies.

Add bay leaf and thyme.

Wine!

Tomato paste!

Into the pot!

Put the meat and juices back into the pot.

Add beef stock to cover.  Put a lit on it, and simmer for 2 hours.

Meanwhile, cube some potatoes.

Arrange in a pan, then add oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.  Into a 400 degree oven for the last 30 minutes.

Ladle out some of the braising liquid into a separate pot (strained), and begin reducing it.

When it reduces by about 2/3rds, whisk in some cold butter.

Spoon over the beef.  Serve with the potatoes, and some steamed broccoli (I don't have to show you that part, right?).

East Coast Hustle

are those boneless short ribs?

if not, 8/10. if so, 6/10.

actually...on second thought, I guess I can't penalize you for braising the ribs stovetop, since most people don't have enough oven space to braise short ribs and roast potatoes at the same time. They are better in the oven though, as the heat gets distributed more evenly which is key to braising tough cuts of meat.

I'm probably just being over-critical because short ribs are such a favorite of mine. Those do look good.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

It was a fairly last-minute thing, truth be told.  Could have probably used more time, less heat, and some acids at the end; a squeeze of lemon, or something.

They ended up tender enough to please the only critic that has sex with me whose opinion matters, so I'd call it a minor success.

East Coast Hustle

Eve

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 21, 2008, 02:13:20 PM

actually...on second thought, I guess I can't penalize you for braising the ribs stovetop, since most people don't have enough oven space to braise short ribs and roast potatoes at the same time. They are better in the oven though, as the heat gets distributed more evenly which is key to braising tough cuts of meat.

I'm probably just being over-critical because short ribs are such a favorite of mine. Those do look good.

I didn't know boneless ribs existed.

-Eve,
apparently ignorant about meat.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Eve on October 21, 2008, 04:13:19 PM

-Eve,

:lmnuendo:

Jasper

:lulz:  I knew there was a crass joke in there somewhere.

Eve

Quote from: Cainad on October 21, 2008, 08:03:17 PM
Quote from: Eve on October 21, 2008, 04:13:19 PM

-Eve,

:lmnuendo:

:argh!:
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

Ok, it's probably becoming obvious I only have a handful of approaches.  Cauliflower.

Cut off the florets, arrange in a pan, oil, salt, curry powder.  400 degree oven, 30 minutes.

Boneless pork chops, pounded out, salt and ground cumin.

Shallot.

Garlic.

Lightly flour the chops.

Brown in oil, remove.

Turn down heat, toss in flour, paprika, and caraway seeds.  Stir for a few minutes.

Add garlic and shallots.

Looks like I got some more wine! Deglaze.

Add some chicken stock.  Cook down until thickened. 

Looks like the cauliflower is ready...

Add the chops back to the pan to let them warm through, serve with some of the sauce.