News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Layered VG-10 steel with a hardened edge, is my knife.

I love it unconditionally, and it gazes back at me with cool regard and faint disdain.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got all the crap for my smoker, except the grate (can't find one to fit a 16" pot, had to order it online). Terra cotta pots that size are fucking expensive! Alton Brown got off lucky at $40 or whatever... I just spent $70.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Nigel on July 06, 2010, 01:06:05 AM
I got all the crap for my smoker, except the grate (can't find one to fit a 16" pot, had to order it online). Terra cotta pots that size are fucking expensive! Alton Brown got off lucky at $40 or whatever... I just spent $70.

I couldn't find one for less than $100.  I'm bummed cause I really wanted to do this.  I may end up going to the potter's corner and throwing my own damn it!  If I do that, I can make the ledges inside the pots for the grate before I fire it.  Hmmmmm

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I ended up with a 16" terra cotta pot, and ordering a 14" grate off Amazon for $10. I couldn't find the geranium pot for less than $30, so I got a $15 terra cotta saucer and will drill it for handles and the thermometer. I still haven't bought the hot plate or thermometer, so I may luck out and save some money on those. They don't sell used hot plates at Goodwill anymore (fire hazard issues) but I might find one at a garage sale.

This is not an inexpensive project... I could have gotten a sidecar for my char-griller for about the same price, but the convenience of it being electric, and therefore not require constant tending, was the dealmaker. Plus, cute!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'll tell you, I bet someone could make some good money around here opening a little hole in the wall store that sold all the parts for these, because this shit isn't all that easy to come by.

You wouldn't even have to put 'em into kits or anything.

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on July 06, 2010, 08:10:34 PM
I ended up with a 16" terra cotta pot, and ordering a 14" grate off Amazon for $10. I couldn't find the geranium pot for less than $30, so I got a $15 terra cotta saucer and will drill it for handles and the thermometer. I still haven't bought the hot plate or thermometer, so I may luck out and save some money on those. They don't sell used hot plates at Goodwill anymore (fire hazard issues) but I might find one at a garage sale.

This is not an inexpensive project... I could have gotten a sidecar for my char-griller for about the same price, but the convenience of it being electric, and therefore not require constant tending, was the dealmaker. Plus, cute!

Wal-Mart or equivalents sell single burner electric dohickies sometimes.  If they're charging more than $10, it's a rip.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on July 06, 2010, 09:21:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel on July 06, 2010, 08:10:34 PM

Wal-Mart or equivalents sell single burner electric dohickies sometimes.  If they're charging more than $10, it's a rip.

Yeah, they're only about $10-$12 everywhere. You want a 1000 watt or higher model. I just figured if I can find a used one for a dollar it'll keep costs down.

Most of the other parts are not really sourceable secondhand, but that, and possibly an oven or grill thermometer, have decent odds if I want to wait to see if I can find them.

Most likely I'll go buy them and a pork shoulder the second the grill arrives. :lol:

Sir Squid Diddimus

i spent less than 50 for a small metal box smoker.
i have the space on my porch for it, but the flower pot one definitely works for smaller spaces.

come to think of it though, this thing doesn't really take up much space.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The only thing with the metal box ones is they don't hold the heat... the advantage of the flowerpot smoker is you can do 12 hours with only one wood-chip refresh. The only smokers on the market that really compete with that are the Green Egg ones, and they're $500 and up.

Eater of Clowns

It looks like I can assemble a flower pot smoker for about $20.  Ocean State Job Lot has large terra cotta pots for $8.50, my father has a few hot plates he doesn't need.  I'll be picking up a few pots for my plants and I'll see if I can size the grate/plates effectively before I buy another couple for smoking purposes.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

PIZZA!

Yeah, the crust was store bought.  Whatever.  The pesto is home made, though.

Ingredients to be used:  Pepperoni, garlic, shallots, buffalo mozzarella, asparagus, basil.

Cooked down some canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and some tomato sauce until thick.

Pizza One has pesto, buffalo mozzarella, proscuitto (did I forget to mention that?), asparagus, and Parmesan.

Pizza Two has tomato sauce, basil, pepperoni, and shredded Mozzarella.

Luckily, I have a pizza stone, so I can do this stuff RIGHT.

LMNO

Shrimp en Papillote:

This is surprisingly easy, amazingly tasty, and unwittingly healthy.

Broccoli, shallot, garlic, carrot, hot pepper, shrimp.

Brush a sheet of parchment with a little vegetable oil.

On one half of the parchment, arrange as follows: Garlic, hot pepper, broccoli, carrot, shallot, shrimp.  Drizzle sesame oil and soy sauce over top, and a little ground pepper.

Fold parchment over, and fold up the edges several time, creasing as you go to create the seal.  Place on a sheet, and bake at 400F for 12 minutes.
(before/after)

Serve by cutting open the pouch with scissors.  There will be steam, so don't burn yourself.

Sir Squid Diddimus

looks fuckin good!

thumbs the hell up!

Jenne

LMNO

I don't know what you call this, but I call it brunch:

Char the skin of a jalapeno. Throw it in a tub and let the skin steam off for about 10 minutes.

Peel off the char underwater, then chop it up along with red onion, garlic, grape tomatoes and cilantro. While you're at it, grate some cheddar cheese.

Sautee the onions with a pinch of salt and some cumin, then add the garlic and jalapeno.  Remove from heat.

There was some leftover roast chicken, so that gets chopped up too, and browned in fat with a little more cumin, and some chili powder.

When browned, add 3/4 of the onion mixture, and deglaze with white wine.  Add a bit of chicken broth, some thyme, oregano, and lemon juice.  Reduce heat.

To a pot of cooked rice, stir in the tomatoes, most of the cilantro, and the rest of the onion mixture.

Fry an egg.

Ok, we're ready to plate.  Rice, cheese, meat, cheese, egg, cheese and cilantro.

Proceed without caution.