News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Those potatoes look to die for. I keep meaning to try them, but forgetting.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Talk to me about the turducken.

I want to know whether your impressions of it are similar to mine.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

It needs to fully thaw before cooking; like, the center of the thing has to be near room temp.  Our was still really cold in the center, so the outer layers got a bit dry before it hit temp.

Ours had cornbread stuffing and creole sausage between the layers, and had a cajun seasoning rub, so there was a lot of flavor.  I also made a gravy from the pan drippings, so the spice could really get in there.  I quite liked it, apart from the temperature issue.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My thoughts on it are that it is an entertaining novelty meat, but that:

A. There's no safe way to cook it thoroughly without the outside getting dry. If it was a solid piece of meat of similar size (like a pork shoulder), you could do an extremely slow roast at low temperature, and it would be exquisite and tender. But because it's got outsides stuffed into insides, a slow roast is a recipe for the rise and fall of the empire of a charming bacterial colony and their toxic byproducts in the interior.

B. Skin is pretty much the best part of a fowl. Due to the abovementioned, the skin on the interior fowls is not utilized, and the skin on the exterior fowl tends to be overdone. This makes Nigel sad.

C. Following from A and B, the meats of none of the fowls are optimally cooked to showcase their nuances and best characteristics.

D. All of these sum up to a meat dish that kinda tastes like unimpressive sausage. It was totally worth the experience, but I can buy pretty impressive sausages for far less money, which makes me ill-disposed to repeat the turducken. Instead, I will roast my birds separately, to their own individual perfection.

Damn, I want a turkey. I might need to go buy a Black Friday turkey.

LMNO

All valid points. I would make it again, but purely for the spectacle. The brisket I made for thanksgiving 2012 was a superior meal, but this had a lot of coordination challenges that brought satisfaction when achieved.

Doktor Howl

It's an analogy for something.

All that goodness, with a frozen chicken in the middle.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 28, 2014, 07:45:16 PM
It's an analogy for something.

All that goodness, with a frozen chicken in the middle.

:lulz: I don't know why, but that made me laugh quite a bit.

hooplala

I imagine people in the future using turducken as evidence of our culture's indulgence, the way people discuss vomitiriums in Ancient Rome.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on November 28, 2014, 08:05:01 PM
I imagine people in the future using turducken as evidence of our culture's indulgence, the way people discuss vomitiriums in Ancient Rome.

That future is now.

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 28, 2014, 08:07:31 PM

That future is now.

:ohnotache:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eater of Clowns

And then some smartass will chime in "turduckens were actually an architectural feature."
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.