News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Oooh.  That's flippin' awesome looking. 

LMNO

Start by taking a head of cauliflower and separating the florets into one-inch pieces.  Chop the core and place in a food processor.

Blanch and shock the florets in salted boiling water, and process the core until minced.

Dice a shallot and mince garlic, adding bay leaf, thyme, and parsley.

Add the minced core, a bit of chicken stock, and some heavy cream.  Simmer gently for several minutes to soften the core and extract the flavors.

Remove thyme, parsley and bay leaf, and put the mixture in a blender.  Add nutmeg and curry powder, and blend until smooth.

Combine florets and puree, and then fill ramekins with the mixture.  Top with emmenthaler cheese and panko breadcrumbs.  Place in hot oven until bubbly and browned.

Season the lamb with rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Roast at low heat until internal temp is 145 or so, then sear in a hot skillet until browned.

Ok, we're not done.  Just for the hell of it, we decided to make an aioli sauce the original way.  Mortar and pestle, garlic, a bit of sauce.  Mash the hell out of it.

Squeeze some lemon and make it a paste.

Slowly add olive oil and keep grinding away.  When I say "slowly", I mean drop by drop for about 20 minutes.  Keep going until smooth and creamy.

And here it is all put together,  Yeah, I realize it could use some color for presentation, but maybe next time.

[edit to fix html pics]

Jenne

What do you call that cauliflower dish?  Sounds so yum!

Dysfunctional Cunt

This looks so awesome!!!!

LMNO

It's a cauliflower gratin closely resembling a dish in Thomas Keller's Bouchon.  It takes a lot of prep work, but it's really worth it.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Sir Squid Diddimus

So dinner is at what time then?

LMNO

Usually after the self-flagellation and anal douching.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Oh my, look at that. My uh.. cat exploded. Bees everywhere. Seems I can't make it
byyyyyyyyyyyyyye

Luna

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on March 22, 2011, 04:38:09 PM
Oh my, look at that. My uh.. cat exploded. Bees everywhere. Seems I can't make it
byyyyyyyyyyyyyye

Silly Squid.

Just go by for dessert.   :lulz:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on March 22, 2011, 04:38:09 PM
byyyyyyyyyyyyyye

:lulz:

Best thing I've read all day
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am totally stealing it for my Facebook update, just to be a dick, because I'm in a dick mood.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Damn dude. 

About the aioli: is there a fast way that's worth a damn, or is it jsut a matter of time and effort to make it RIGHT?  Also, did you put the whole lemon slice in, or are you working the juice into the garlic to make the paste?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Disco Pickle

nicely done, think I'll try it this weekend.  I really need to get out of my current recipe rut.  not usually a cauliflower fan but that looks really good.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

LMNO

Quote from: Richter on March 22, 2011, 09:39:33 PM
Damn dude. 

About the aioli: is there a fast way that's worth a damn, or is it jsut a matter of time and effort to make it RIGHT?  Also, did you put the whole lemon slice in, or are you working the juice into the garlic to make the paste?

You can put the garlic in a blender and add some egg yolk to make it a garlic mayo, but the mortar & pestle is really the way to go.  I used about a teaspoon of lemon juice to get the paste going.  It's still an emulsion at heart, but the oil seems to absorb into the garlic somehow.