News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Cooking with LMNO

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 01:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

That's exactly how I make it--in fact, I add potatoes too to round out the flavors.  Works well with cabbage, too.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 28, 2008, 02:30:36 PM
The trick is not to blanch them first.

The carmalization matches well with the red pepper flakes, and covering them lets them gently steam so they stay firm and don't get soggy.

If you really want to go nuts, chop up bacon and render it first; remove bacon, go forward with recipe; then add the bacon back in when you add the garlic.  A thick-cut bacon works best for this.

I fucking LOVE brussels sprouts, and I will attest that having previously made LMNO's brussels sprouts recipe, it is my absolute favorite way to enjoy one of my absolute favorite vegetables.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Full disclosure: Finishing off the dish with sherry was ECH's idea.

Thanks, man.  It's a killer idea.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I loves de brussels sprouts

LMNO

Well, I'm back in the kitchen... And it's Sunday morning, and I'm feeling like a bastardized version of Juevos Rancheros.  Please, no comments on how it's not authentic.  I know it's not authentic... but it's tasty.  If you'd like to suggest a different name, please do.

The usual suspects:  Onion, garlic, dried chipotle (soaking in hot water).

Bacon.  (BACON!)

Render that sucker.

That was quick.

Remove a lot of the grease for later.  Leave a teaspoon or so, and toss in the onion.  With heat on medium low, soften and brown with a pinch of salt.

Add this.  Yes, this is just for demonstration purposes.  Of COURSE I toast and grind my own!

Add garlic.  Cook for about 30 seconds.

Add chipotle. 

Bring on the beans!

Mash up most of the beans with a spoon.  It will start getting thick.  If too thick, add some chicken stock to loosen it up.

Can't forget the oregano...

Nor the Nam Pla.

Yes, yes.  It slightly resembles dog food.

Return the bacon, stir, and let cook on low to let the flavors mingle as you prepare the eggs.

Bring a pot of water to a simmer, and add a tablespoon or so of white vinegar.

Crack eggs into a small bowl.

Gently introduce the eggs to the water, allow to poach for 3 minutes (if you like a runny yolk. If you don't... why are you still reading this?).

Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl, and drain off excess water.

I hope you've already washed and chopped your cilantro, because we're ready to plate.

Bean mixture on plate, grated cheese on top (what?  You haven't grated the cheese yet?).

Eggs on top of that, and top with cilantro.  Salt, and extra hot sauce to taste.

Cainad (dec.)

It's not auth-*BLAM*

But seriously, that looks pretty damn good. It's especially attractive after a whole semester of having the same thing for breakfast every single day.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Excuse me sir, but that is some mighty fine and delicious looking bacon you've got there. Nice thick cut, not too meaty, not too fatty.

I crapped. in my chair. again.

LMNO

Once again, women are pleased when they see my thick slab of bacon.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on December 15, 2008, 05:23:23 PM
Once again, women are pleased when they see my thick slab of bacon.

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EmmaE

I have to admit that I was mighty impressed with the bacon, m'self.

I'm printing all of these recipes out and using them.. eventually. They all look delicious.
Understanding requires the risk of insanity.

Kai

I'm sorry, this looks awesome, and to hell with authentic, but its lacking the corn tortilla.

Still looks mighty tasty though.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Yes, you could certainly place a grilled or fried tortilla underneath this.  If I had any lying around, I would have.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on December 15, 2008, 07:09:01 PM
Yes, you could certainly place a grilled or fried tortilla underneath this.  If I had any lying around, I would have.

Anything extra needed for heat or is this good just with the chipotle?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

It would depend on how much heat you like, and how much chipotle you add.  In this recipie (made for 2), a single chipotle was pleasant for Mrs LMNO, and I added hot sauce.

Other heat options:

Fresh Jalapeno/serrano/hanenero in the sautee

Top with pico de gallo

Various and sundry hot sauces

Jenne

Fuck.  Yes.  Thank you for starting this up again, Alphadude--I was missing this like a mofo in November.