News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

NANOWRIMO OPERATION:BRAINSTORM

Started by LMNO, October 08, 2008, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

OK... Working concept and Title:

Doughnutus Illuminatus: The Bavarian Cream Seers

The story of five young people who uncover the Secrets Of The Universe, while working at a doughnut shop.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Suu

Mine:

It's all Geek to Me: 10 Years of Being White and Nerdy

It sounds funnier than it's actually going to be.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

I've decided that I will not be working from scratch, and will find some way to put together everything I have ever written about Discordianism into one book.  Fuck writing from scratch.

I think I will call it "Codename Hoopla".
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Doughnutus Illuminatus: The Bavarian Cream Seers

For thousands of years, the concepts of illumination, enlightenment and magic were the private domain of a privileged few. Secret Societies, Initiatory Religions and obfuscated Occult systems seemed content with providing their great secrets to those few who spent their life separating that which was real from that which was metaphor. This was perhaps done to protect those who were not ready for true enlightenment. Perhaps it was meant to protect those groups from the persecution that the human tribe tends to unleash when its perceptions of reality are questioned. Maybe it was the selfish act of a few, intent on holding a power over the unenlightened.

No matter what the cause, by the end of the Twentieth century, the obfuscation, misdirection and confusing metaphors of competing systems had left this great secret to wallow in the mire created by the popular misapplication of post modern philosophy. The subtle, yet important difference between the outright rejection of objective reality made popular by self-proclaimed postmodernists and the more subtle rejection of belief that what we perceive is objective reality was lost on most of the hairless monkeys wandering around at the dawn of the Technological Century.

All of that is about to change. At least I hope it is, otherwise this will be a very short book.

Ok, there is the BLAT that is my one paragraph synopsis... too wordy? too dry? too lame?

LMNO

Not enough paragraphs.

LMNO
-eyes just slid off the page.

Iason Ouabache

I predict that I will give up before the first week is done with roughly 2000 words written.   :kingmeh:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rabbi LMNO on October 29, 2008, 04:51:02 PM
Not enough paragraphs.

LMNO
-eyes just slid off the page.

2 better than 1?

Iason Ouabache

Ok, finally got a rough idea of what I'm going to write:  The Last Sermon of (Insert Main Character's Name Here)*.  A pastor in a small Midwestern town finally gets bored of his minister duties and starts to troll his congregation.  Hilarity ensues!!  It's roughly an alternate reality version of what would have happened to me if I had gone to seminary like so many people had wanted me to when I was a teenager. 

My main problems are a) making sure that I don't direct steal the plot from "Mackeral Plaza" b) finding the right level of fire-and-brimstone c) making my word count.  Maybe I'll just go the Dicken's route and describe everything in more detail than necessary.

* - I'm still trying to think of a good character name.  I'll probably end up using a name generator and picking a nice boring name.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mine's going to be the typical thinly-veneered autobiographical story of love and heartbreak, except I am adding jumping slugs because I always thought slugs would be funnier if they jumped.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I'm coming to the odd realization that I'm probably going to be writing a good chunk of this on my iPhone. ...

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Oh. Never mind about that anymore.  I thought I'd be doing most of in while in transit, because my schedule looked like it wasn't gonna budge to make room for writing.

But that's not the case.

Anyway, has any one given serious thought to not use contractions while writing this thing?  I'm actually starting to think of how to pad out my word count. 

Eve

No contractions*, and no backspace. Use strikeout or change would-be deleted words to a different color (I use red).

*I'm still using contractions, but have gone without them in previous years. It's actually pretty helpful.

I hit a big road block, and it's waaaayyy too early to get stuck. Uh ohs.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

Damn.  That must take some discipline.

I can't just leave half sentences that lead in the wrong directions.  I gotta delete them.

LMNO

Also re: roadblock.

Start writing about something completely different, like a new chapter with a new character in a new place with a new point of view.  Chances are, your subconscious will do its thing, and the Law of Fives will join the two threads together eventually.