News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

So you want a Revolution...

Started by Adios, October 09, 2008, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Revolution indeed. What kind of revolution? Against whom?

Here we all sit blaming Bush. Blaming the government. Blaming Wall Street. Blaming <insert favorite target>.

Do you want to know who is really to blame?

Look in a freaking mirror. That's right.
The American people are to blame. Apathy, indifference, greed, self indulgence. The "As long as I have everything I want then everything is fine so leave me alone" attitude has caused this. The American people overall are so lazy they want to know everything that is going on and what to do about it in a 30 second sound byte. God forbid they have to read and research the facts to formulate their own opinion, they want to be told what their opinion is by a slick slogan.

On second thought this country does need a revolution. This revolution needs to start with each individual turning off American Idol and actually re-educating themselves. That's right, looking up information. Comparing 'he said/she said' with the facts. You see, the facts are there, they just get buried under tons of hyperbole and false denial or deliberate distortion. Here's a genuine sad fact. We expect to be lied to and we don't care enough to actually do a fact check.

So revolt. Against the inclination to expect someone else to fix things. Against the knee jerk reaction of a slick slogan. Against apathy.
Revolt against the ability to insulate yourself from the outside and convincing yourself that everything will be alright.
But when you have your knee jerk reaction to revolt against the government first remember exactly who it was that allowed the government to become what it is. That is where your revolution needs to start.

Or kill me.

Footnote:
Now I stole the tag line from TGRR in response to Xentor Trying to nail Roger for using it when I posted this at MW. Any fine points to help polish it up for other sites would be appreciated.

navkat

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on October 09, 2008, 08:34:58 PM

Here we all sit blaming Bush. Blaming the government. Blaming Wall Street. Blaming <insert favorite target>.

The American people are to blame. Apathy, indifference, greed, self indulgence. The "As long as I have everything I want then everything is fine so leave me alone" attitude has caused this. The American people overall are so lazy they want to know everything that is going on and what to do about it in a 30 second sound byte. God forbid they have to read and research the facts to formulate their own opinion, they want to be told what their opinion is by a slick slogan.

On second thought this country does need a revolution. This revolution needs to start with each individual turning off American Idol and actually re-educating themselves. That's right, looking up information. Comparing 'he said/she said' with the facts. You see, the facts are there, they just get buried under tons of hyperbole and false denial or deliberate distortion. Here's a genuine sad fact. We expect to be lied to and we don't care enough to actually do a fact check.

So revolt. Against the inclination to expect someone else to fix things. Against the knee jerk reaction of a slick slogan. Against apathy.
Revolt against the ability to insulate yourself from the outside and convincing yourself that everything will be alright.
But when you have your knee jerk reaction to revolt against the government first remember exactly who it was that allowed the government to become what it is. That is where your revolution needs to start.

Or kill me.

Footnote:
Now I stole the tag line from TGRR in response to Xentor Trying to nail Roger for using it when I posted this at MW. Any fine points to help polish it up for other sites would be appreciated.

No matter how you revolt; you're still in prison.

So you mise well do what *I* do: do drugs and put glitter on everything.

Eve

You say you want a revolution, well, you know, we all want to change the world..
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Elder Iptuous

TL;DR
Could you sum it up in a sentence?
:wink:

AFK

Or kill me.

Footnote:

:mittens:

An outstanding rant Rev. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Manta Obscura

Or kill me.

Footnote:

Great rant, Rev. You hit the nail on the head and didn't back down or cut any moral slack.

Concerning your footnote request to help you "polish": this is pretty solid as it is. The one thing that I would change/add would be to address the demographic that "Wants to change things, but doesn't know where to begin." That's an argument I hear from a lot of people who try to justify their inaction. To address these folks, you might want to add another paragraph saying that the problems are big and they should just start SOMEWHERE. Or you could provide links at the end of your rant that connect to good, action-oriented groups that want change, so no one reading your rant will have an excuse of "not knowing where to start." A link to here or to the Wiki would be a good one to include.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Bruno

Quote from: Iptuous on October 24, 2008, 02:29:27 PM
TL;DR
Could you sum it up in a sentence?
:wink:

Revolution: The act of going around in a circle, eventually winding up back where you started.
Formerly something else...

Ari

There will be no "awakening" unless people start to figure out that the "thoughts" they had are just another presentation of their precious ego; becoming conscious of your own unconsciousness is a process that can only unfold within yourself - and by yourself.

I agree with most your of your bit, dear Revered Asshat. Yet I foresee that you will reach only those who already have [had] the means to enlighten themselves - the vast majority of unaware fucktards out there will dispose of this with a smirk, not knowing where to begin their quest. My criticism might not find an ear here though, since I have no[t] [yet] eloquent means of expressing how to achieve this precious state of being that will allow the individual to blow away the prison walls and create a new even more personal and comfortable prison state of being.

tl;dr - FFS wake up.
パンクビッチ

Elder Iptuous

East Coast Hustle

shut it, Iptuous.

Planeswalker is enlightened and we are not. Listen to his wisdom.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ari

Quote from: Iptuous on October 25, 2008, 12:53:32 AM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 25, 2008, 12:18:45 AM
tl;dr - FFS wake up.
I clearly winked...  :|
That tl;dr attitude will sooner or later prevent you from unfolding your true potential Iptuous. But do not listen to me, and for your own sake - stop listening to yourself.

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 25, 2008, 01:44:50 AM
shut it, Iptuous.

Planeswalker is enlightened and we are not. Listen to his wisdom.
Nobody here has been eating pure wisdom with a spoon, especially not me. But there is a difference between those who actively work on reaching an enlightened state of mind in themselves and others, and those who just jerk around a bit because it is hip and fun: one group actually has a chance of getting somewhere while the other is just another form of puppet. One that is holding its own strings, which can be seen as a feat - or delusion.

There are planes to be walked,
I'll be back tonight.
パンクビッチ

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: planeswalker on October 25, 2008, 09:38:30 AM
Nobody here has been eating pure wisdom with a spoon, especially not me. But there is a difference between those who actively work on reaching an enlightened state of mind in themselves and others, and those who just jerk around a bit because it is hip and fun: one group actually has a chance of getting somewhere while the other is just another form of puppet. One that is holding its own strings, which can be seen as a feat - or delusion.

I'll be back tonight.

you're right, of course.

but it's never too late to drop your bullshit enlightenment trip and join the rest of us tragic hipsters who are actually having fun (which is, of course, actually getting somewhere).

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

navkat

Enlightenment = FAIL.

1. Isn't there an episode of Bullshit! on that topic somehwre...?
2. You're gonna feel like an asshat when you die and you realize on the way out that there are no other "planes," You're just wormfood.

But what ever blows yr skirt up...

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: navkat on October 25, 2008, 03:42:38 PM
You're gonna feel like an asshat when you die and you realize on the way out that there are no other "planes," You're just wormfood.

Adios

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 25, 2008, 01:55:19 PM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 25, 2008, 09:38:30 AM

I'll be back tonight.

you're right, of course.

but it's never too late to drop your bullshit enlightenment trip and join the rest of us tragic hipsters who are actually having fun (which is, of course, actually getting somewhere).