News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Comp geeks: alternatives to AVG Antivirus?

Started by Cain, November 16, 2008, 08:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Khara on November 17, 2008, 08:57:40 PM
But wait, has AVG gone out of business or something?  I mean I've used them for years and this is the first problem I have ever heard of, and while it is a dmaned serious one, it is still fixable for them right?  So if you weren't affected by thier fuckup can't you continue to use AVG, they have fixed it right???

Yes, but this is a pretty damn big mistake to make, and I can't get online with any other computer at the moment.  I do not feel comfortable entrusting my security to people who can fuck up like this.  And if my computer were to break, I do not have the money to get it fixed either.

Triple Zero

i did [try to answer your question], most people i know, that run windows, the ones that know their shit and dont have their computer filled with spyware and such, use AVG.

sorry about the Linux remark, i shoulda realized it could cause massive threadjack.

this is the searchlores page about "free windows software", antivirus section: http://searchlores.org/bangla.htm#vireo
naturally it lists AVG as the first choice, but alternatives are Avast, F-Secure and Clamwin. since +Fravia is ill, his site is not going to be updated anymore, so sooner or later these links will die and become outdated, which means, use them as a starting point, and not at face-value.

hope that helps?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

It does, thanks.

It just annoys me that whenever I ask a fucking question about software on the internet, some retard goes "uSe loOniX u fAg", as if that answers my question (it doesn't) and as if I don't already have Ubuntu running on my other (offline) computer.  If I wanted to use Linux on my laptop, which I do most of my internet surfing and gaming on, I would be.

BADGE OF HONOR

I'm sorry, Cain, I don't know any good, free antivirus programs.  :(
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Dr Goofy

There is also PCTools but I know not of it's goodness. The only 2 I ever trusted were avg and avast.