Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Something was here, now it was gone

Cain

Something was here, now it is not

Cramulus

Xooxe

Excellent! Thank you Cain.

I'll probably flick through them and buy the ones that are tempting. I can't focus on reading properly from a computer screen.

At the moment I'm reading Madness and Civilization by Foucault, and I don't know whether the translation is dodgy (my copy is published by Routledge, translated by Richard Howard), but he seems to slip in and out of eloquently using generalisations and conjecture to support his narratives. Certain sections I have to read over and over again to try and weed out all of the alternative meanings, just to work out what he's actually attempting to express, because it's written almost as if it were meant to be literature. It's horrible.

Can someone please help me understand what the fuck this means -

QuoteOn all sides, madness fascinates man. The fantastic images it generates are not fleeting appearances that quickly disappear from the surface of things. By a strange paradox, what is born from the strangest delirium was already hidden, like a secret, like an inaccessible truth, in the bowels of the earth. When man deploys the arbitrary nature of his madness, he confronts the dark necessity of the world; the animal that haunts his nightmares and his nights of privation in his own nature, which will lay bare hell's pitiless truth; the vain images of blind idiocy - such are the world's Magna Scientia; and already, in this disorder, in this mad universe, is prefigured what will be the cruelty of the finale.

Cain

Foucault is notoriously hard to understand.  It could be the translators do not have the knowledge to transfer the philosophical context correctly, but I suspect he (and several other post-structuralists) are also to blame.

Fortunately, in this collection, there are no direct works of his, only works by people who have, apparently, understood him.

Golden Applesauce

Only just now noticed this.  Thanks, Cain.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

navkat

Thank you for this.

-navkat
(willing to shut up and learn if yr willing to teach.)

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

BADGE OF HONOR

They're all .pdf.  I downloaded foxit instead of adobe because I got tired of having 50% of my resources tied up unnecessarily.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I love it. Thanks. Btw, most of those pdfs seem to convert cleanly to ascii using pdf2text. I'm using epdfview, since it's the only pdf viewer that seems to work nicely, but it renders very cleanly there.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

I_Kicked_Kennedy

I downloaded, I fapped, I came...

I came 'till I bled.

Cain, do you fully comprehend out indebted many of us are to you?
If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

GreenTeal Alpha.roses

Now there goes 12080400 hours of my life. THANKS CAIN!  :argh!:

:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

LMNO

fuckedafuckedafuckedafuckedafuckedafuckeda  DO WANT STILL.

A.N. Other

I know I can be an incredible idiot, but, um, is there really nothing here? Because I was looking forward to reading something smart.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Cain

This download was killed due to a filesharing crackdown in the UK.  However, I will do something in the next couple of days which will hopefully fulfill all such requirements.