News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

TUNA?

Started by trippinprincezz13, October 16, 2008, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippinprincezz13

So, half an hour before I leave work yesterday, my boss calls me:

"Do you like tuna?"

WTF?? "Uh...yea?"

Short story short, one of our clients caught a 100lb. blue fin tuna and brought a bag of meat each for me and my boss. Definitely a good $30-40 worth in my bag alone. Two good sized steaks and a bunch of belly meat, which the client said was good for sushi (he was just cutting it off and eating it with wasabi).

Now I like sushi, but have only had in restaurants with someone else preparing it. But I would assume that what the client said is relatively safe assuming I eat the right parts and not a chunk of raw fat or something like that?

Sushi aside, the only fish I've cooked other than various shellfish is baked haddock. I'm gonna be poking around on the internet, but does anyone have good recipes for tuna steaks? I'm pretty clueless on this one.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

LMNO

It's a little old now for sushi.

However, you can still sear it ultra-rare.

Cut a steak about 1.5" thick

Season with salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.

Get a pan over very high heat.

Oil in the pan.  Get it to the smoking point.

Steak in the pan, flip after 1 minute, take off heat after another minute (maybe two).

Serve with soy, ginger, and wasabi.

Richter

I came into some a few months back by the same method  :mrgreen:

Main thing I noticed was there is a definite "light meat" and "dark meat"  to the tuna.  The white meat is easily the most worthwhile bit.  

Cutting and eating it as sushi is my preffered method too.
Other people were obsessed with having it cooked though, so I just seasoned it lightly with lime juice and pepper before cooking QUICK in sesame oil
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: LMNO on October 16, 2008, 03:18:34 PM
It's a little old now for sushi.

However, you can still sear it ultra-rare.

Cut a steak about 1.5" thick

Season with salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.

Get a pan over very high heat.

Oil in the pan.  Get it to the smoking point.

Steak in the pan, flip after 1 minute, take off heat after another minute (maybe two).

Serve with soy, ginger, and wasabi.

Yea, I would have preferred to have it yesterday but as soon as I got home from work we went fishing (lol) then straight to the bar for his brother's 21st birthday.

But I'll try going with the ultra rare/seared method instead. From the sound of it, I'm guessing minimal seasoning is the best way to go, especially if there's going to be soy/ginger/wasabi on the side. Speaking of which, what is/are the best brand(s) of soy sauce to look for? La Choy and Kikoman are the perfect ways to ruin any meal with their sodium content (and this is coming from someone who LOVES salt). I have two half-decent seeming ones at home that my mom gave me. Sadly, the best soy sauce I think I've had is the one that comes in the little packets with a panda on the front when you get take-out.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Richter on October 16, 2008, 03:23:47 PM
I came into some a few months back by the same method  :mrgreen:
Always a wonderful thing  :mrgreen: Yesterday was a random free-food extravaganza for me yesterday. My mom brought a bunch of cherry/yellow/striped tomatoes from her garden to my work, the tuna from the client, then when I went to drop my boss's portion off at his house, his wife gave me a bunch of corn muffins and chocolate chip cookies (and was trying to offer me some of the tuna before I told her I got my own, lol).
Main thing I noticed was there is a definite "light meat" and "dark meat"  to the tuna.  The white meat is easily the most worthwhile bit.  
The meat I got seems mostly dark, with some light/white meat on the smaller chunks.
Cutting and eating it as sushi is my preffered method too.
Other people were obsessed with having it cooked though, so I just seasoned it lightly with lime juice and pepper before cooking QUICK in sesame oil
That's similar to what my boss told me he usually does with it, except mixing the lime juice with a little bit of sugar.

Dammit, I want sushi now :(  But seared will have to do.

Jenne

Ooh, I love it when you get serendipitous quality tuna!  We did just just this same thing over the summer...got some sushi-grade tuna and made tuna rolls and then used the rest for tuna steaks...I think I did a ginger-garlic-blood orange marinade for that one.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Jenne on October 16, 2008, 06:10:17 PM
Ooh, I love it when you get serendipitous quality tuna!  We did just just this same thing over the summer...got some sushi-grade tuna and made tuna rolls and then used the rest for tuna steaks...I think I did a ginger-garlic-blood orange marinade for that one.
:lol: I originally read that as ginger-garlic-blood-orange marinade and was thrown off for a second there. That sounds pretty good though too. Mmmm blood oranges.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For added deliciousness, serve with a blend of tamari and balsamic vinegar, and some minced green onions. Yum!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

as for soy sauce brands, try San-J's wheat-free organic tamari. best soy sauce for under $20 a bottle.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that's the kind I usually get, but I'm out so I couldn't check.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

wheat is added to most soy sauce to speed up the brewing process.

what-free tamari is not only edible for your Gluten-allergic friends, it tastes better because the longer brewing time allows it to develop a deeper flavor without being as salty.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 17, 2008, 12:23:14 AM
as for soy sauce brands, try San-J's wheat-free organic tamari. best soy sauce for under $20 a bottle.
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 17, 2008, 05:36:52 AM

what-free tamari is not only edible for your Gluten-allergic friends, it tastes better because the longer brewing time allows it to develop a deeper flavor without being as salty.

Thanks! I'll take a look for it next time I'm out. Doubt they'll have it at the Market Basket, but Shaw's and Hannafords usually have a better organic selection. Few other specialty(expensive) grocers relatively close I can check if not. Actually I think there's a Wild Oats(?) a few towns over. There used to be an Asian grocery store about 15 minutes from me, but apparently it got turned into a Fudruckers.

Boyfriend went out 4-wheeling with his mom yesterday and didn't get back til late so we didn't do the steaks. Definitely tonight. Did slice up some of the belly meat for sushi. Just served on a bed of cooked/cooled white rice. With wasabi and soy sauce on the side. Delicious! Had our friend come by from next door for some. My boyfriend doesn't really like sushi, but he loved this.

Iason Ouabache

I just had tuna steaks last night.  Just find a good marinade, like a good soysauce or peanut based one. Cook them until medium rare.  Serve with your favorite type of starch.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Dysfunctional Cunt

I didn't know this but it explains a couple of "tasting like" issues I have had when trying to make a recipe I have had elsewhere!!!

Thanks!

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Khara on October 17, 2008, 04:24:16 PM

I didn't know this but it explains a couple of "tasting like" issues I have had when trying to make a recipe I have had elsewhere!!!

Thanks!

Same here. Overly salty soy sauce definitely kills a good recipe, even when I've tried reducing the amount of soy sauce I added. Also, a lot of recipes I've seen called for both "thick" and "thin" soy sauce. I 1) didn't know there was a "thick" soy sauce before this and 2) have yet to find any anywhere. There's only one grocery store near me that I think might carry something like it because they have a lot of specialty foods. Otherwise I'm going to have to hunt down an Asian mart or order online.