News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Quantum Library

Started by Cain, October 18, 2008, 05:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manta Obscura

I re-read "The Tao is Silent" and "5000 B.C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies" by Raymond Smullyan every year. Every year they teach me something new. If nothing else, Google Smullyan's essay entitled "Is God a Taoist?" It's one of his most searching essays.

Other "quantum" books/poems:

"Sunday Morning" by Wallace Stevens.
"Ulysses" by James Joyce (but dear goddess, is it dense).
"Walden" by Thoreau.
"The Immense Journey," by Loren Eisley.

And if you want a way to take a step back and do a self-mindfuck/revel at the lower limits of human intelligence, pick up a copy of "Chariots of the Gods?" by Erich von Daniken (sp?). Always a good read, if only as a reminder of the shaky foundations of quasi-science.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Triple Zero

hm i haven't read many books multiple times, but yeah i did read THHGTTG about 7 or 8 times (didnt keep count), wanted to call it, but i think it stopped giving me insights about the third time through :) (rereadings 4 through 8 were just for the lulz, apparently)

Honey, I highly enjoyed Siddharta, so that sounds like a good reason to read it again (hey, perhaps in the original German this time, there's a good chance my gf has it)

Wait no, I already borrowed THHGTTG in German for re-reading (aloud, to her), I haven't even yet gotten to the bit where the earth blows up though :) :)

I definitely got some better insights reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for the second time.

I read The Neverending Story thrice as a kid. But if it had given me insights, I guess I'd have picked up on the "Do what thou wilt" inscription on the amulet, right? :)

oh, and the Mystical Qabalah definitely got more insights the second time i started in it, but i still haven't been able to finish it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Honey

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 01, 2008, 11:25:22 PM
hm i haven't read many books multiple times, but yeah i did read THHGTTG about 7 or 8 times (didnt keep count), wanted to call it, but i think it stopped giving me insights about the third time through :) (rereadings 4 through 8 were just for the lulz, apparently)

Honey, I highly enjoyed Siddharta, so that sounds like a good reason to read it again (hey, perhaps in the original German this time, there's a good chance my gf has it)

Wait no, I already borrowed THHGTTG in German for re-reading (aloud, to her), I haven't even yet gotten to the bit where the earth blows up though :) :)

I definitely got some better insights reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for the second time.

I read The Neverending Story thrice as a kid. But if it had given me insights, I guess I'd have picked up on the "Do what thou wilt" inscription on the amulet, right? :)

oh, and the Mystical Qabalah definitely got more insights the second time i started in it, but i still haven't been able to finish it. 

I would just love to be able to read anything by Herman Hesse (others too) in the original German!  I always think something gets lost in the translation of anything.  Some things just don't translate.  Herman Hesse's work is so rich in meaning in English, I can just imagine (barely) how much more rich it would be in the original language.  You & your gf are very lucky I am thinking!

& the guy who wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (can't think of his name, last name starts with P, hhhmmm?)  Well anyway, he wrote another book called Lila which was pretty good too.

Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Triple Zero

Quote from: Honey on November 02, 2008, 09:13:40 PMI would just love to be able to read anything by Herman Hesse (others too) in the original German!  I always think something gets lost in the translation of anything.  Some things just don't translate.  Herman Hesse's work is so rich in meaning in English, I can just imagine (barely) how much more rich it would be in the original language.  You & your gf are very lucky I am thinking!

weeeelllll... i really did try to read "narciss und goldmund" in German, but I think both my German isn't good enough and perhaps Hesse's writing is too archaic or colourful, that I got no further than page 6 over a few weeks.

I think I'll have more luck with the translated HHGTTG, or perhaps Siddharta (which is a bit more "light" story).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hashishi

Hitchikers Guide... Quantum Psychology...

Chaung Tzu. Ive got the complete works, the guy was pretty much an ancient Discordian. Lots of cool parables. I might put up some of his stuff one day when I get off my butt (and am reading it again).
:fap:

Honey

new insights from these:

The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain
Shame by Salman Rushdie
1984 by George Orwell
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

OPTIMUS PINECONE

Al-Ghazali - "The Niche of Light" & "Alchemy of Happiness"

Robert F. Williams - "Negroes with Guns" & "While God lay Sleeping"

ANYTHING by Nietzsche

ALL poetry by James Liddy

G.L. Rockwell - "This Time the World"

James Mason - "Siege"

The Havamal

Jack Spicer - What little we have , all is lovely

Kierkegaard - Again, it's all one addictive dreamy bed
"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley