News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Rocks in the head

Started by Vene, October 20, 2008, 09:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Iason Ouabache

:weary:  It's not even brain shaped.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 20, 2008, 11:16:03 PM

I'm rocking MY brain to figure out what kind of rock it is, thinking some sort of feldspar, just by the color.

Which would make it igneous. Igneous rocks can't even contain fossils.  :x
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Vene

I want to take that ROCK, crack their skulls open and show them what real brains look like.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Kai on October 20, 2008, 11:25:01 PM

I'm rocking MY brain to figure out what kind of rock it is, thinking some sort of feldspar, just by the color.

Hmm... Vene, have you ran this past the usual suspects over at CF?  I know that at least 3 pro geologists post there.
    \

Vene

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 20, 2008, 11:33:24 PM

Hmm... Vene, have you ran this past the usual suspects over at CF?  I know that at least 3 pro geologists post there.
I'm done with that place.  They got all pissy when I put this in my signature.  Naturally, I escalated the situation.

But Kai is right, fossils only form in sedimentary rock.  The process that forms metamorphic rock destroys them, and since igneous rocks are made from lava/magma no fossil is going to survive that process.  Now, as for identifying what type of rock it is, beats me.

fomenter

I sent a copy of the pic to a geologist i know, give it a few days and i may be able to tell you what type of rock it is..
- my uneducated guess is that it is the same type of rock creationists have in there heads..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Kai

Quote from: Vene on October 20, 2008, 11:37:34 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 20, 2008, 11:33:24 PM

I'm done with that place.  They got all pissy when I put this in my signature.  Naturally, I escalated the situation.

But Kai is right, fossils only form in sedimentary rock.  The process that forms metamorphic rock destroys them, and since igneous rocks are made from lava/magma no fossil is going to survive that process.  Now, as for identifying what type of rock it is, beats me.

could be beach rounded calciferous coral too (biogenic limestone), it sometimes gets a color like that, but usually with mottling.

There are other reasons that this can't be a fossil. A) soft material seldom fossilizes, and B) when it does it doesn't leave a convex fossil like bone does, it leaves a concave impression. Jellyfish, for example. You can get jellyfish fossils, but they are all impressions, even if some of them have remarkable detail. Same with most insect fossils preserved in sediment. Amber, on the other hand, has the capacity to preserve soft materials better, so leaves, soft cuticle, hair, etc. The coolest insect fossils are in amber.

Never, and I mean never, has any soft tissue been found, either in fossil or preserved some other way, from a hominid older than the ice man.

Iason Ouabache

P.S.  I e-mailed this to Brian Dunning (the dude from Skeptoid) and he freaking loved it.  He said that he is going to post it to his Facebook and Skeptalk. Thanks Vene.
    \

fomenter

one geologists opinion, its a type of quartz its impossible to know for certain w/o chipping a bit apart, but my guess is they are right.
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Kai

Quote from: fnord mote eris on October 22, 2008, 12:55:19 AM
one geologists opinion, its a type of quartz its impossible to know for certain w/o chipping a bit apart, but my guess is they are right.

Yes, igneous rock, often found along with feldspar and mica.

Maybe this is another one of those big lie situations. You say, Its an igneous rock, its composed of quartz and feldspar, volcanic rocks which do not form fossils? They answer with something so far gone outrageous beyond any possible reasoning, a huge lie so they don't have to explain their little one.

fomenter

i don't even get the connection, fossilised brain proves soft tissue can fossilised, proves creation by god ?? whats the point? or even the relationship between these "scientific" non facts??

hmroogp

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: fnord mote eris on October 22, 2008, 02:52:45 AM
i don't even get the connection, fossilised brain proves soft tissue can fossilised, proves creation by god ?? whats the point? or even the relationship between these "scientific" non facts??

1. THIS ROCK IS A BRAIN

2. GOD MAED ALL TEH ROCKS

3. THEREFORE GOD MAED THE WHOLE WORLD WITH HUMANS IN IT ABOUT 6000 YEARS AGO IN 6 DAYS, EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED IN TEH BIBLE, KJV.

Q.E.D.