News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Cramulus

This is fodder for something I'm brewing about the beliefs of "irreligious" people (Church of Google, Pastafarians, Discordians, Subgenii, Cthulhu sect, etc) I'd like to post some variation of this poll in different irreligious forums and see how it compares to our results. I'll tell you my hypothesis later.

If I'm missing poll options, let me know.

Cain

Agnostic, verging on atheism.  I think gods don't exist, but I don't Really Really Truthfully Know (100%) if that is the case.

I also see gods as useful symbols or metaphors, depending on context and deployment.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Aww, no Model Agnostic? ;-)

Actually, you may want to include something along the Jung/Campbell line... "God's may not exist but they're a useful archetype..." or something like it?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Payne

100% my own definition of agnostic, that is to say I couldn't possibly know, but if someone offered proof one way or the other I still wouldn't give a rats ass.

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 21, 2008, 03:34:39 PM

There's an agnostic option - there's already too many options without taking the analytical knife to agnosticism  :p

QuoteActually, you may want to include something along the Jung/Campbell line... "God's may not exist but they're a useful archetype..." or something like it?

I think that falls under atheism. If we make that cut, we've also gotta make a lot of cuts like, "I'm christian but I don't go to church", or "Wiccan with Discordian leanings" etc etc

Elder Iptuous

hooplala

I waver between atheism and agnosticism most of the time.

Sometimes, though...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

while I recognize the technical truth of not ever REALLY being able to KNOW anything, there is not one single thing I can think of that I think is LESS likely than an actual deity actually existing.

there is no God, there are no Gods, you are worm dirt and will not come back, deal with it and get on with your life.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on October 21, 2008, 03:43:23 PM
QuoteActually, you may want to include something along the Jung/Campbell line... "God's may not exist but they're a useful archetype..." or something like it?

I think that falls under atheism. If we make that cut, we've also gotta make a lot of cuts like, "I'm christian but I don't go to church", or "Wiccan with Discordian leanings" etc etc

Agreed.  Its either an atheistic or agnostic position.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on October 21, 2008, 03:43:23 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on October 21, 2008, 03:34:39 PM

There's an agnostic option - there's already too many options without taking the analytical knife to agnosticism  :p

:argh!:

Agnostic is not Model Agnostic

I would also say that neither Jung or Campbell seemed particularly atheistic. They just spoke of symbols, not the nonexistence of deities that might be behind those symbols.

But... point taken. I'll answer other ;-)

Cain

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 21, 2008, 03:46:26 PM
while I recognize the technical truth of not ever REALLY being able to KNOW anything, there is not one single thing I can think of that I think is LESS likely than an actual deity actually existing.

Pretty much.  I can just about accept Deism (Great Architect, Unmoved Mover) as a possibility, slight though it may be, but any named religion or god is getting into the territory of impossiblity of existence.

Cramulus

I want to advise people to steer away from the "other" option if another item on the list is CLOSEST to your beliefs. Like if you're somewhere between atheism and agnosticism, pick one.

I am positive that I cannot offer anyone a box to check which perfectly matches their beliefs. But come on, these boxes are pretty wide.

dr retard

in what category goes:
i am my own god?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on October 21, 2008, 03:55:46 PM
I want to advise people to steer away from the "other" option if another item on the list is CLOSEST to your beliefs. Like if you're somewhere between atheism and agnosticism, pick one.

I am positive that I cannot offer anyone a box to check which perfectly matches their beliefs. But come on, these boxes are pretty wide.

But... but...

what about "All of the Above"? ;-)

Dysfunctional Cunt

I still hold we are the ultimate mindfucks of the gods and they stir shit up then sit back and watch us fuck it up even more! :lulz: