News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Manta Obscura

Quote from: YattoDobbs on October 23, 2008, 10:09:13 PM
thanks just when i killed my ego

you had to give me fuel

I shouldn't be so blunt to tell you this, but I'm your Buddhic temptor. Had you not given in to my flattery, you would now be enlightened.

Sorry to ruin your day. Guess we can't all be Buddhas. :D
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

the last yatto

can i keep my I am buddha's brothers tshirt or do i have to turn that in too?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Honey

Honestly I am still very confused by all of this.  1 thing I am sure about is all the good stuff posted ITT!   :)  By Jove! 

The thing, I guess, that still confuses me tho, is which to choose?  I'd like to be able to do this because I think it's for a good & valid reason.  However difficult.  It doesn't help that I've been exposed to so many different religions.  It doesn't help that I began thinking of all of them as being limiting in 1 way or another.  It doesn't help that the way my mind seems to work is such that I often seem to careen off in various directions (frequently randomly) or tangents & stuff & sometimes it doesn't take much to get me going.

& this.

QuoteWhen a trout rising to a fly gets hooked on a line and finds himself unable to swim about freely, he begins with a fight which results in struggles and splashes and sometimes an escape.  Often, of course, the situation is too tough for him.

In the same way the human being struggles with his environment and with the hooks that catch him.  Sometimes he masters his difficulties; sometimes they are too much for him.  His struggles are all that the world sees and it naturally misunderstands them.  It is hard for a free fish to understand what is happening to a hooked one.                            
- Karl A. Menniger

While I can & do appreciate the beauty inherent in all or most religions, like fr'instance there are some ceremonies that seem to me to be fraught with all kinds of meaning beyond words (I think of the colorful simply gorgeous Hindu & Sikh ones especially).  Or the practical & sometimes funny day to day advice provided by the Jewish culture & traditions, including the 'drunken joy' aspect (described so well by Albert Einstein).  Or even just the sacred words of so many religions.  I find I am moved most by the Tao Te Ching, certain translations or philosophical renderings of Jesus' words, the Qur'an, Native American prayers (& more).

& 1 of the best things about Discordia as religion or spiritual practice is the fact that it does not tie 1 down (or hook 1) to a rigid (dogmatic) belief system or to a series of unyielding practices. 

But honestly I'm still quite puzzled.

QuoteWhen it comes to God's existence, I'm not an atheist & I'm not an agnostic. I'm an acrostic. The whole thing puzzles me.
- George Carlin

& I know I haven't answered the poll or the question or whatever & I wish I could do so. 

Leaving it for now. 

& this is 1 of the 'sacraments' or 'gifts' that 'practicing Discordia' has given me.  The gift that keeps on giving, so to speak.  Meaning you can try to express your ideas to others, like a 'communion' or commingling of sorts.  & it's all symbolic or metaphoric, I think, so it doesn't fall apart if there's no consensus or even a sense of cohesiveness.  Like a 'coming of age' rite that you can perform everyday.  Or like aiming for a consummation of sorts?  Something like that anyway.  & when your aim falls far from the bull's-eye or doesn't even make the mark or get close to the target & when people don't give you all kinds of grief just for trying, then, it's like receiving the 'Discordian sacrament' of the 'mercy fuck.'  Or something like that.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on October 23, 2008, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on October 23, 2008, 09:43:07 PM
Quote from: YattoDobbs on October 23, 2008, 09:40:00 PM
first can mean 3 different things based on context
while the later simply is  'not interested'
holy shit! that was almost a complete sentence!
with a cohesive thought wrapped in it!
did you stop trying?!

Shut up.

what are the three things, then?

All in good fun, sugar.
I think a certain amount of interpretive posting adds to any forum.
I was simply referring to another thread where YD said he tries hard at being the designated airhead....

Telarus

I'd agree with irreligious.

That's the best way I can explain Discordia to friends who haven't heard of it, "an irreligious disorganization who are intrigued by Eris, Goddess of Strife and Chaos, and Her doings". They still go WTF, but at least it's for the right reasons.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Manta Obscura

Quote from: YattoDobbs on October 23, 2008, 10:50:22 PM
can i keep my I am buddha's brothers tshirt or do i have to turn that in too?

As long as you wear it ironically, I think you should be okay.

Bu🤠ns

as i understand it, religious means to be bound together in one belief.  so irreligion ties into the "discordians stick apart" aspect.  it flows into the idea of everyone being the sole source of his or her own spirtual authority.  if you believe that we should all worship bacon but take full reponsibility for your perceptions then more power to you.

NOVA

I think Eris represents something.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: NOVA on November 05, 2008, 02:43:58 AM
I think Eris represents something.

:golfclap:

Could you be a little more vague?

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

The Dark Monk

I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Manta Obscura

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Manta Obscura

ternechto

I believe there's nothing to be gained by anyone knowing what I believe. I know I have nothing to do at the moment and I believe I'll go deeper now.

I believe belief suggests doubt.

I believe contradictory statements mean more sometimes.

I believe anything's possible, not everything's probable.

I believe many people don't care what other people believe. I believe some do and I believe it depends on the person.

What I REALLY believe is I'll never fully understand belief. I believe it's an unnecessary word. Imagine's more succinct, that's what I believe.

I believe I've exhausted the word belief and will now go on to imagine.

I imagine someone has lost interest at this point.

I believe I have.

Dammit!