News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Alethias

I kinda figure that there are probably elements of the chaos that makes up the universe that are as or more intelligent than humans.  I see Eris as the Chaos of the universe made into an avatar.  Whether there is somewhere a real physical avatar of Eris, or Eris is more or less a metaphoric avataristic figure, I don't really have a clue. 

I don't know how to define the word god.  I don't think christian definitions work, and so far i haven't seen any other one that I can use to measure something perceivable against and say "Yup, that's a god, goddamit."

So do I believe?  Fuck if I know.

Iason Ouabache

Did this thread somehow evolve into a Theism Recovery Support Group?  I fucking love you guys!  GROUP HUG!!!!
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 22, 2008, 10:25:35 PM
Did this thread somehow evolve into a Theism Recovery Support Group?  I fucking love you guys!  GROUP HUG!!!!

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 22, 2008, 10:25:35 PM

My name's Felix, and I've been Godless for two years and one month.

*clap clap clap clap*

Roo

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 22, 2008, 08:22:49 PM
I admit, the need to have some sort of universal meaning/higher consciousness/personal essence/whatever is completely mystifying to me.

Isn't life amazing enough and interesting enough as it is?

The fact that life is really amazing and interesting doesn't explain how it got here, or why each of us is alive at this moment. Even if we just say 'because it is/we are'...even if we just go by the clinical/scientific/purely logical answers, we're still missing an explanation for some experiences and certain feelings (near-death experiences come to mind).

Also, as was mentioned by others, it's nearly impossible to discard the trappings of religion, if you grow up with it. Despite having stopped going to church 10 years ago, I can still walk into a Mass and follow along as if I'd never left.

Personally, I do believe in something beyond this life and in a personal essence, but I have a hard time defining what that is. I do have a sense of spirituality and reverence for Life, but no need to worship a specific diety. In my mind, there is a Force, a Oneness, a Source to all of this...and our physical reality is as small and narrow in terms of What Is, as the Earth is in relation to the universe. Likewise, these particular incarnations are just one tiny piece of all that we are, and just one short life out of many.

Elder Iptuous

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Roo on October 22, 2008, 10:32:11 PM
I admit, the need to have some sort of universal meaning/higher consciousness/personal essence/whatever is completely mystifying to me.

The fact that life is really amazing and interesting doesn't explain how it got here, or why each of us is alive at this moment. Even if we just say 'because it is/we are'...even if we just go by the clinical/scientific/purely logical answers, we're still missing an explanation for some experiences and certain feelings (near-death experiences come to mind).

no.

there doesn't NEED to be an explanation, beyond random chance, and trying to impose one because you're uncomfortable with the idea that you're not special and you have no purpose is just a common human weakness.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Roo on October 22, 2008, 10:32:11 PM

"Why are we here?" has got to be the most inane and pointless question in the history of humanity. Shame that so much time and energy goes into coming up with imagined answers to a question that hardly makes sense in the first place.

I, THE RIGHT REVEREND CAINAD, SHALL NOW ANSWER THE QUESTIONS OF THE AGES

Q: "Why do we exist?"
A: Because if we didn't, we wouldn't.

Q: "Why are things the way they are?"
A: Because if things were different, things would be different. Then we'd still be asking why they were that way.

Q: "Why is there injustice in the world?"
A: Because our (very subjective) notions of justice happen to be at odds with things like bad luck, stupidity, and dickheads.

Sorry Roo, didn't mean to explode on you specifically. You touched on a point that I wanted to spew my bile about; no offense intended.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cainad on October 23, 2008, 12:28:18 AM
"Why are we here?" has got to be the most inane and pointless question in the history of humanity.

quoted for emphasis.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Quote from: Iptuous on October 22, 2008, 07:52:49 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 22, 2008, 07:39:42 PM
... but I do miss the comfort I had around FAMILY who still believe and practice it.

No kidding.  it becomes awkward.  (especially since having children of my own.)  I have a good relationship with my family and we don't frequently butt heads re: religion, but it's unsettling to know that every night when they go to sleep, they are praying that the holy spirit will influence me to return to the flock....

Har!  My mother likes to whine about the grandchildren not going to heaven.  But I refuse to pack the bags for THAT guilt trip.

Eater of Clowns

Cainad - excellently put.

East Coast Hustle - great avatar.

This thread, if somehow it serves no purpose as a poll, at the very least has proven that when you bring up religion shit's going to get fucked up right quick.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Roo

"Why are we here?" has got to be the most inane and pointless question in the history of humanity. Shame that so much time and energy goes into coming up with imagined answers to a question that hardly makes sense in the first place.
Oh, I agree. People ask it all the same. :lol:

Still, I think if you have something happen to you that doesn't make sense and can't be explained in any ordinary fashion...what do you do? How do you explain it to yourself?
It seems like there would be two possibilities. 1) it was a hallucination, brought on by stress/nerves/lack of sleep/whatever, or 2) God did it.
If God is a more socially acceptable answer than hallucinating, you might go with door number two. Or if it was so real that you can't accept the experience as a hallucination, you might choose #2.

Quote from: Cainad on October 23, 2008, 12:28:18 AMI, THE RIGHT REVEREND CAINAD, SHALL NOW ANSWER THE QUESTIONS OF THE AGES

Q: "Why do we exist?"
A: Because if we didn't, we wouldn't.

Q: "Why are things the way they are?"
A: Because if things were different, things would be different. Then we'd still be asking why they were that way.

Q: "Why is there injustice in the world?"
A: Because our (very subjective) notions of justice happen to be at odds with things like bad luck, stupidity, and dickheads.
:lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

This thread inspired me to make a more elaborate rant. Visit "Or Kill Me" for readings.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Roo on October 23, 2008, 02:30:10 AM
Oh, I agree. People ask it all the same. :lol:

Still, I think if you have something happen to you that doesn't make sense and can't be explained in any ordinary fashion...what do you do? How do you explain it to yourself?
It seems like there would be two possibilities. 1) it was a hallucination, brought on by stress/nerves/lack of sleep/whatever, or 2) God did it.
If God is a more socially acceptable answer than hallucinating, you might go with door number two. Or if it was so real that you can't accept the experience as a hallucination, you might choose #2.

I choose #3: your monkey brain is limited and not fully able to understand all of the natural processes of the universe. accept your limitations and move on without resorting to superstition.