News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 22, 2008, 10:25:35 PM
Did this thread somehow evolve into a Theism Recovery Support Group?  I fucking love you guys!  GROUP HUG!!!!

:lulz: Hey, I answered the original question about what I believe! Then just evolved from there.

Quote from: Cainad on October 23, 2008, 12:28:18 AM
"Why are we here?" has got to be the most inane and pointless question in the history of humanity. Shame that so much time and energy goes into coming up with imagined answers to a question that hardly makes sense in the first place.

I agree on this note. Religious or not, I never cared about this question, or found any point in wasting my time worrying about it. Never really believed that I/we had any "higher purpose" for being here other than just being here.

There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Vene

Well, I picked atheist.  I had to think a little bit about that or agnostic because I don't do 100% belief.  I guess it depends on how significant you think that 0.01% chance is (yes, I pulled that number from my ass).  I basically want to be able to change my mind if I ever get any good data from theists.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Vene on October 23, 2008, 04:17:05 PM
Well, I picked atheist.  I had to think a little bit about that or agnostic because I don't do 100% belief.  I guess it depends on how significant you think that 0.01% chance is (yes, I pulled that number from my ass).  I basically want to be able to change my mind if I ever get any good data from theists.

good data from theists.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I'm not an atheist, but that line seems unlikely to me ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2008, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 23, 2008, 02:34:55 PM
Perhaps I don't understand the "leap of faith", then.

From the above passage, I thought it meant that in the Face of the Absurd, one looks for an irrational "higher step" that tries to stuff the absurd into a coherent, explainable box.

I guess that's not it?

Not as such.  It accepts the Universe is paradoxical and contradictory, and that is how one should approach God.  There is no rulebook, no one way, only you can decide.  Where it differs from Camus is that Kierkgaard still holds that God exists, and that a command from God would transcend all moral codes, either individually crafted or that of the Bible.

the leap of faith thought reminded me of a quote i saw on a book i was binding two days ago.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." -Saint Augustine.

thats a reward?!

kind of scared the shit out of me seeing that it was still used today.  basicly knowing the law of fives and behaving irrationally anyway.  :argh!:

Cain

I think he may have been speaking metaphorically, somehow.  The unveiling of the divine and so on...

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Burns on October 23, 2008, 05:02:20 PM

From the above passage, I thought it meant that in the Face of the Absurd, one looks for an irrational "higher step" that tries to stuff the absurd into a coherent, explainable box.

I guess that's not it?

Not as such.  It accepts the Universe is paradoxical and contradictory, and that is how one should approach God.  There is no rulebook, no one way, only you can decide.  Where it differs from Camus is that Kierkgaard still holds that God exists, and that a command from God would transcend all moral codes, either individually crafted or that of the Bible.

the leap of faith thought reminded me of a quote i saw on a book i was binding two days ago.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." -Saint Augustine.

thats a reward?!

kind of scared the shit out of me seeing that it was still used today.  basicly knowing the law of fives and behaving irrationally anyway.  :argh!:

It can be a pretty awesome reward, if you have faith in sufficiently awesome things.

Goes well with Gandhi's "Be the change you want to see in the world."  You can either actually change the world, or just believe it's already been changed.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Manta Obscura

You know, I've been to a lot of religion forums, and not one of them has been half as intelligent as this one (disregarding the ugly shit-stirring incidents). Quite nice. Although now I'm wishing that I paid attention in Philosophy 101 during the section on Kierkegaard, or however the hell his name is spelled.

Because it seems like the "in" thing to do, I'll elucidate my own choice (I picked the Eastern thing, btw). I was baptised Catholic, raised atheist, converted to Baptist, re-converted to atheist, re-converted to Baptist, converted to Taoist, re-re-converted to Baptist, re-converted to Taoist, converted to Catholic Lite (e.g. Catholic without the guilt complex, and with 50% fewer calories), and then synthesized/converted to what I now tell people is Mytho-spiritualism/Zen Catholic, a sort of bastardized, wishy-washy spirituality that doesn't know what it believes except on Easter Sunday, when I endure the boredom of singing hymns. I'm sort of a belief slut.

Well, that's all. Thanks for reading; it's interesting hearing what everyone has to say.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: GA on October 23, 2008, 06:11:06 PM
Quote from: Burns on October 23, 2008, 05:02:20 PM

I guess that's not it?

thats a reward?!

It can be a pretty awesome reward, if you have faith in sufficiently awesome things.

Goes well with Gandhi's "Be the change you want to see in the world."  You can either actually change the world, or just believe it's already been changed.

It seems similar to Crowley's "Magic is causing change in conformity with Will".

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2008, 05:10:06 PM
I think he may have been speaking metaphorically, somehow.  The unveiling of the divine and so on...

i can see how these would work...it's just spooky in the context of the fundamentalist literature i was binding.  i've always thought of faith as sort of a trust in the unknown rather than a blind belief in what is thought to be known.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Burns on October 23, 2008, 06:22:45 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 23, 2008, 05:10:06 PM

i can see how these would work...it's just spooky in the context of the fundamentalist literature i was binding.  i've always thought of faith as sort of a trust in the unknown rather than a blind belief in what is thought to be known.

Paul claimed it was "the assured expectation of things hoped for, though not beheld"....assured expectation seems to fit blind belief, rather than a simple trust.

the last yatto

how does it not make my point.
THINK IT and it will come

or what some guy in a robe said
ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN

futhor more
And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. Genesis 28:12

:lulz:
Adam was alone in the garden.
G-d noticed this and said "I will make you a helpmate; she will be beautiful,
obedient, compliant and always pleasant and happy."
"Excellent!" says Adam.
G-d says "It will cost you an arm and a leg."
Says Adam "What can I get for a rib?"
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Vene

Actually, scratch what I said earlier.  I believe in fisting Bono.

Cramulus

How many people think that the word "irreligious" describes their views?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on October 23, 2008, 08:55:29 PM

I think its a good word for my views.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cramulus on October 23, 2008, 08:55:29 PM