News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was just reading this: http://skepticwiki.org/index.php/Discordianism

Despite the light-hearted nature of the religion, it appears to have a somewhat serious goal of producing a form of enlightenment through upsetting and questioning traditional assumptions.

I read it out loud to Ludwig, who then informed me that "A religion based in being upsetting" is the most concise description of Discordianism she's ever heard.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: ternechto on November 29, 2008, 06:35:13 AM
I believe there's nothing to be gained by anyone knowing what I believe. I know I have nothing to do at the moment and I believe I'll go deeper now.

I believe belief suggests doubt.

I believe contradictory statements mean more sometimes.

I believe anything's possible, not everything's probable.

I believe many people don't care what other people believe. I believe some do and I believe it depends on the person.

What I REALLY believe is I'll never fully understand belief. I believe it's an unnecessary word. Imagine's more succinct, that's what I believe.

I believe I've exhausted the word belief and will now go on to imagine.

I imagine someone has lost interest at this point.

I believe I have.

Dammit!

Not only that, strong beliefs depend on conflict. In the case of strong beliefs, one not only doubts the opposition, but actively chooses to disbelieve it and refuses to think in that way (i.e. refuses to consider the other viewpoint).

Thurnez Isa

how come I can't choose more then one answer  :x
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Messier Undertree

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on November 29, 2008, 07:01:58 AM"A religion based in being upsetting" is the most concise description of Discordianism

:mittens:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ternechto

Quote from: Cainad on November 29, 2008, 03:37:32 PM
Quote from: ternechto on November 29, 2008, 06:35:13 AM
I believe there's nothing to be gained by anyone knowing what I believe. I know I have nothing to do at the moment and I believe I'll go deeper now.

I believe belief suggests doubt.

I believe contradictory statements mean more sometimes.

I believe anything's possible, not everything's probable.

I believe many people don't care what other people believe. I believe some do and I believe it depends on the person.

What I REALLY believe is I'll never fully understand belief. I believe it's an unnecessary word. Imagine's more succinct, that's what I believe.

I believe I've exhausted the word belief and will now go on to imagine.

I imagine someone has lost interest at this point.

I believe I have.

Dammit!

Not only that, strong beliefs depend on conflict. In the case of strong beliefs, one not only doubts the opposition, but actively chooses to disbelieve it and refuses to think in that way (i.e. refuses to consider the other viewpoint).
Indeed. The religion of marketing strategy - brought to you by Environment. Maybe the discordian philo is just to say fuck you to the pepsi challenge all together.

shadowfurry23

Quote from: Cainad on November 29, 2008, 03:37:32 PM

So, do you strongly believe that it is a mistake to hold strong beliefs?
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Subtract Eight!

i read the principia for the first time today i think the line is firm not strongly

discordians, pendantic as ever
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Manta Obscura

Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 17, 2009, 10:53:24 AM
everything is a stage

Consider, then, that not everyone is a star. Some of us are the William Hungs.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Subtract Eight!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Subtract Eight!

: - [ you're right the internet is pure truth

i have a question, do discordians get laid all the time, thats what i hear, im counting on that

Triple Zero

some of them get fucked all the time.
some of them fuck others all the time.
some of them are fucks.