News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

hooplala

How exactly did emotion come into this?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2010, 08:31:18 PM

Perhaps that trying to twist science to match theology shows insecurity about beliefs and a desperate need for them to be true?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Riffing off of earlier comments. I liked the Asimov quote below cause it seems honest.

Quote from: geekdad on December 01, 2010, 08:56:20 AM
I'm finding this poll hard to answer.

I have found myself to agree with Asimov when he said:

QuoteI am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.
-- Isaac Asimov, in "Free Inquiry", Spring 1982, vol.2 no.2, p. 9

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 01, 2010, 08:37:22 PM

Perhaps that trying to twist science to match theology shows insecurity about beliefs and a desperate need for them to be true?

Where did that happen?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2010, 08:43:20 PM

Where did that happen?

Among humans, usually on Yahoo Answers... I thought Rat's post was a generalized commentary on people.

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 01, 2010, 08:44:36 PM

Where did that happen?

Among humans, usually on Yahoo Answers... I thought Rat's post was a generalized commentary on people.

Ah, my mistake then.  Carry on.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2010, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 01, 2010, 08:44:36 PM

Where did that happen?

Ah, my mistake then.  Carry on.

Oh yes, my comment was not aimed at anyone in particular. Just the tendencies of hairless apes ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

I think to elaborate on Rat's point, everyone is by necessity an agnostic. Some are agnostic Christians, agnostic Muslims, agnostic atheists. No one knows definite about whether or not exists. They either believe or don't believe in something, but since there is no evidence one way or the other, claiming that science backs up your position whether theistic or atheistic is dishonest.

Did I get that right?

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 01, 2010, 09:00:50 PM
I think to elaborate on Rat's point, everyone is by necessity an agnostic. Some are agnostic Christians, agnostic Muslims, agnostic atheists. No one knows definite about whether or not exists. They either believe or don't believe in something, but since there is no evidence one way or the other, claiming that science backs up your position whether theistic or atheistic is dishonest.

Did I get that right?

I agree with that.  I consider myself an agnostic atheist.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2010, 09:14:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 01, 2010, 09:00:50 PM

Did I get that right?

I agree with that.  I consider myself an agnostic atheist.

Applies to everyone but Roger, who knows the Horrible Truth, of course.  :lulz:

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 01, 2010, 06:35:01 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on December 01, 2010, 06:32:34 PM
from where I'm sitting, It makes more sense to think of God as the sum of everything in the universe, sharing a fractal similarity to his component parts...

Wouldn't that just be a fancy whooptiemystikal synonym for "Universe"?

The map would literally be the territory.  Why call it anything other than it is?

ARTISTIC LICENSE!! :argh!:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2010, 06:43:57 PM
Woe to the non-believer, for he shall spend eternity in a Richard Dawkins fan forum, yea even Veganza."
- Hyperclessians 12:2
:lulz:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Phox

Quote from: Hover Cat on December 02, 2010, 02:03:05 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2010, 06:43:57 PM
Woe to the non-believer, for he shall spend eternity in a Richard Dawkins fan forum, yea even Veganza."
- Hyperclessians 12:2
:lulz:

This.  :lulz:

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 01, 2010, 08:25:40 PM

Zeus wasn't omniscient, omnipotent, at all benevolent or existing outside of creation... the dude lived up on top of a mountain.

Zeus was omniscient, in the present tense. I don't remember if he could see into the future, but as 'lord of the skies' he could see everything that was happening in the world of men. Of course, he had to actively use that ability.

As for JHVH being omni-benevolent (rabid A/Theists aside), the bible doesn't say he is "all good" from what i remember. It says quite explicitly that he is all things, and their creator. http://bible.cc/isaiah/45-7.htm

as for being omnipotent, the bible has TONNES of things that God can't do, making his a fairly limited Deity. God can't Lie, be wrong, stop existing, duplicate/create "equal" beings, learn, become "not god", force you to speak and all sorts of other biblical things and logical traps.

but things like this are bound to happen. we just can't admit that IF such a thing as God exists, we have no fucking clue what that thing might be, and have no chance to. so why bother? even Middle-of-the-Road is a bias, a human projection.
Ya' stupid Yank.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Iron Sulfide on December 03, 2010, 09:27:18 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on December 01, 2010, 08:25:40 PM

Zeus wasn't omniscient, omnipotent, at all benevolent or existing outside of creation... the dude lived up on top of a mountain.

Zeus was omniscient, in the present tense. I don't remember if he could see into the future, but as 'lord of the skies' he could see everything that was happening in the world of men. Of course, he had to actively use that ability.

As for JHVH being omni-benevolent (rabid A/Theists aside), the bible doesn't say he is "all good" from what i remember. It says quite explicitly that he is all things, and their creator. http://bible.cc/isaiah/45-7.htm

as for being omnipotent, the bible has TONNES of things that God can't do, making his a fairly limited Deity. God can't Lie, be wrong, stop existing, duplicate/create "equal" beings, learn, become "not god", force you to speak and all sorts of other biblical things and logical traps.

but things like this are bound to happen. we just can't admit that IF such a thing as God exists, we have no fucking clue what that thing might be, and have no chance to. so why bother? even Middle-of-the-Road is a bias, a human projection.

To be fair to theology, God's inability to lie, be wrong, stop existing, create equal beings, or learn is not a limit on God but a limit on the nature of the universe: if God "lied," then what the lie he told would, by definition, be the truth - reality would instantaneously transform itself to his declaration. :P just playing devil's advocate.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.