News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Golden Apples

Started by Manta Obscura, October 22, 2008, 06:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manta Obscura

Hey gang,

I'm currently reading the book "Gastronaut" by Stephan Gates, wherein he explains how to conduct a number of food-related experiments to elevate food from just a fuel source to something that is fun, exciting, passionate and new. I recommend it.

Anywho, endorsements aside, there's a section on gilding food that I think's rather interesting. For something like $25-$30 per leaf packet, you can buy gold leaf to melt down and cover your food in gold. This raises the obvious motivation to gild an apple (preferably of the Golden Delicious variety, because they are, in my opinion, the most scrumptious) and engrave it with "Kallisti."

To this end, I have a question and a few comments:

Question:
1) Does anyone know a way of preserving organic fruits for up to three weeks? I'm thinking of making an edible display of "Kallisti" apples (as well as a few gilded hot dogs) for a get-together, and I would like to be able to do the work in advance.

Comments:
1) In case anyone wants the book or anything, here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gastronaut.

2) I had a hard time finding gold leaf to gild with. If you want to do it, then be sure to check out a good craft store; most supermarkets don't carry food-quality gilding materials. Although, if you live in the Cincinnati, OH area, I think Jungle Jim's has it.

Well, that's all. Hope everyone's doing well.

~Happiness
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Jasper

I would use a wax fruit, and have it last forever.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Felix on October 22, 2008, 06:33:50 PM
I would use a wax fruit, and have it last forever.

Yeah, I thought of that, but wax fruit sort of takes the fun out of it for me. If its wax, then there's no reason for me to use edible-grade gold, and it would be just like painting something gold. Well, at least in my convoluted interior monologue it seems that way. I was wanting to make something that the party-goers could really participate in . . . namely, something they could eat. That way the production doesn't begin and end with me, but will continue as they digest and eventually expel gold in their leavings.

It's sort of gross, but I think the idea of having gold-flecked shit* is kind of cool.

*(Pardon my French)

Jasper

You're free to curse your bottom off, if you feel the need.

I'd say nobody cares, but inevitably someone would contradict me.

Anyway, do you really need the stuff to last for three weeks?  Why not just do them, then have the party in maybe one week?  Most people don't need a month's advance notice.

LMNO

Why not make it the point of the party?

"Come on over and help me wrap food in gold leaf!"

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Felix on October 22, 2008, 06:48:54 PM
You're free to curse your bottom off, if you feel the need.

I'd say nobody cares, but inevitably someone would contradict me.

Anyway, do you really need the stuff to last for three weeks?  Why not just do them, then have the party in maybe one week?  Most people don't need a month's advance notice.

Unfortunately, yeah. Though spontaneity is a sweet, sweet virtue, the party is set for three weeks from now (a little less, actually; it's on November 11. I've always loved the 11/11 of November, and hope to have a huge shindig in 2011 at 11:11 p.m. on that day). RSVPs and everything. Any future gilding for parties, though, will be done in a more timely manner.

I do like the idea of centering the party around the task, though, LMNO. That would actually be pretty fun.

trippinprincezz13

Unless I'm missing something...If you already have a set date, couldn't you just gild the apples/food a week before the party?
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Manta Obscura

Yeah, I could, but it's really just a time issue. Gilding something large like apples takes a truckload of time, especially if you're doing a ton of it like I'll be. The week before the party, I have a pretty big business trip and a lot of other stuff that will keep me from having any sort of life at home. Same goes for the week before that, only sans the trip and plus a crappy training series that I have to sit in on.

This week is my last one where I get a ton of free time in the evenings until after the party. However, I think I'm just gonna go with the "gild your own apple" theme that LMNO suggested. That will mean that I don't have to do any work beforehand (always a plus; laziness FTW), and I can have the pleasure of seeing a bunch of yahoos hyped up on recreational beverages, myself included, make an ass of themselves as they try to gild apples.

So . . . has anyone else ever tried gilding food before?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Richter

Summer Sausage in wax for the "Hot dog", IMHO.  Shelf stable and all.

For the apples I've got no inspiration other than only gilding the "K" for speed and efficiency.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Dysfunctional Cunt

Maybe use yellow apples and forget the gilding alltogether!!

Otherwise this site http://www.surbitonart.co.uk/acatalog/Gold__Silver_leafs_and_Paints.html has edible gold spray paint about halfway down the page!!!

That would save a lot of time!!!

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Hush, you.  People don't want to hear your FACTS.   :lol:

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Khara on October 22, 2008, 10:28:15 PM

Otherwise this site http://www.surbitonart.co.uk/acatalog/Gold__Silver_leafs_and_Paints.html has edible gold spray paint about halfway down the page!!!

Wow . . . thanks!

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Manta Obscura on October 23, 2008, 04:52:40 PM
Quote from: Khara on October 22, 2008, 10:28:15 PM

Wow . . . thanks!

YW

But you have to post pics after you finish it!!!   :D