News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

I AM DOUGLAS QUAID!!

Started by Jasper, October 23, 2008, 03:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

http://www.livescience.com/health/081022-erased-memories.html

Scientists have successfully selected and safely erased specific memories in a mouse's brain, leaving others intact, it was announced today.

The erasure can be done while a mouse tries to retrieve an individual memory, said Joe Z. Tsien, brain scientist and co-director of the Brain & Behavior Discovery Institute at the Medical College of Georgia School of Medicine.

Sholy hit.

Cramulus

CRAZY! and it sounds like they can do this with drugs, rather than with open-brain surgery or whatever. It'll be a while before we can do this stuff to humans, but just imagine the possible hilarious abuses of potential

Jasper

I wonder if it's possible to recover the memories over time.

Elder Iptuous

Eternal sunshine!
:D

ETA.... i think i heard about this on Radio Labs on NPR (love that show!) about a year ago....

Jasper

It's not especially new, but it's news to me.

Anyhow, who wants to bet the Pentagon will seize this technology as soon as it's finished and repurpose it for interrogation coverups?

That is, after all, how they got PEPs.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Felix on October 23, 2008, 05:01:19 PM
It's not especially new, but it's news to me.

Anyhow, who wants to bet the Pentagon will seize this technology as soon as it's finished and repurpose it for interrogation coverups?

That is, after all, how they got PEPs.

I thought they (as in THEM, incl. the CIA) were already able to do this (perhaps less elegantly) since the MKUltra program?...
also, whas PEPs?

Cain

As I understand it, the CIA's methods were brutal and randomized.  People who came through it often couldn't remember vast portions of their life, not just selected portions.  It could take months of electro-shocks, prescribed drug use and other forms of abuse to do what this does so much more easily and painlessly.

It also leaves other tell tale signs, such as incontinence, addiction, shakes and the like, which I imagine this method would not.

Jasper

It's more ethical than beating the living fuck out of people, true.

But, like the PEP, it leaves no traces but still does a potentially awful thing to people.

Iptuous,
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/pulsed-laser-fi.html