News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

New way to make eggs

Started by Jenne, October 20, 2008, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

So, my husband's aunt was out from Londontowne (along with his cousin), and she cooked for us.  She made these eggs for us this past Summer when we visited over there that he insisted she make over HERE for him so he could learn how.

Ingredients:

tomato paste
habaneros
onions
garlic
eggs
salt
red pepper
black pepper

So, she chopped the habaneros, garlic and onions and sauteed them a bit before adding the tamato paste (about 2 tbsp it looked like, for about 1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic).  Add the salt, red pepper and black pepper to taste.  Then, in the midst of everything, just crack the egg and plop it in...let it fry there in the stuff without turning them over.  They should be sunny side up when you serve.  Usually they eat it with plain yogurt/sour cream and bread.

Critique:  It was an intersting and colorful dish, but not my fave as far as Afghan dishes go.  I would probably keep down the garlic taste (I'm finding my husband's family tends to OVER-garlic, esp his mom, whereas his dad balances it out, and unfortunately,  my husband's been cooking too much like his mother lately--not enough balance for me to hack too much of what he makes without a lot of sour cream or bread).

Kai

Quote from: Jenne on October 20, 2008, 08:56:35 PM
So, my husband's aunt was out from Londontowne (along with his cousin), and she cooked for us.  She made these eggs for us this past Summer when we visited over there that he insisted she make over HERE for him so he could learn how.

Ingredients:

tomato paste
habaneros
onions
garlic
eggs
salt
red pepper
black pepper

So, she chopped the habaneros, garlic and onions and sauteed them a bit before adding the tamato paste (about 2 tbsp it looked like, for about 1 onion and 3 cloves of garlic).  Add the salt, red pepper and black pepper to taste.  Then, in the midst of everything, just crack the egg and plop it in...let it fry there in the stuff without turning them over.  They should be sunny side up when you serve.  Usually they eat it with plain yogurt/sour cream and bread.

Critique:  It was an intersting and colorful dish, but not my fave as far as Afghan dishes go.  I would probably keep down the garlic taste (I'm finding my husband's family tends to OVER-garlic, esp his mom, whereas his dad balances it out, and unfortunately,  my husband's been cooking too much like his mother lately--not enough balance for me to hack too much of what he makes without a lot of sour cream or bread).

Sounds just shy of Huevos Rancheros. Sounds tasty.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

It probably is, Kai--but not as homogeneous in flavor, I think...I may even have forgotten an ingredient, but I doubt it.  I think huevos rancheros is more like scrambled eggs, right?  I haven't had it in so long I forget.  Usually when I have eggs it's an omelet.

Kai

Quote from: Jenne on October 21, 2008, 03:05:02 AM
It probably is, Kai--but not as homogeneous in flavor, I think...I may even have forgotten an ingredient, but I doubt it.  I think huevos rancheros is more like scrambled eggs, right?  I haven't had it in so long I forget.  Usually when I have eggs it's an omelet.

Huevos Rancheros (someone correct me if I am wrong on this) is an breakfast dish, with fried eggs served on a tortilla with spicy salsa and frijoles refritos as toppings. It sometimes includes other aspects but thats the basic gist. I thought it was close to your new eggs.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Jenne

Quote from: Kai on October 21, 2008, 03:42:43 AM

Huevos Rancheros (someone correct me if I am wrong on this) is an breakfast dish, with fried eggs served on a tortilla with spicy salsa and frijoles refritos as toppings. It sometimes includes other aspects but thats the basic gist. I thought it was close to your new eggs.

That sounds yummy.  Hm.  Even if it's not Huevos Rancheros, I think I'll make that!  :D

Raphaella

These egg recipes are great. I'll try them soon, I have been getting egg flats from the market (it's cheaper that way) and I have just been boiling them and adding them to potato and macaroni salad. Boring. I forget sometimes that eggs have a wide range of uses in cooking I need to branch out more.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Kai

Quote from: Jenne on October 21, 2008, 04:05:12 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 21, 2008, 03:42:43 AM

That sounds yummy.  Hm.  Even if it's not Huevos Rancheros, I think I'll make that!  :D

You might google it, there are several more specific recipes online.

I love huevos rancheros. It is the perfect breakfast meal.

Nast

Huevos rancheros = love.

That and chilaquiles. So good!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh my god, huevos rancheros! I think I have all the ingredients, I NEED SOME.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on October 21, 2008, 06:35:58 PM
Oh my god, huevos rancheros! I think I have all the ingredients, I NEED SOME.

I just made some real quick. Wasn't enough time for beans but still so good.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love them. I will cook them every fucking morning when you visit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on October 22, 2008, 09:10:43 AM
I love them. I will cook them every fucking morning when you visit.

Yay!

BTW, PM forthcoming.