News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

The "I'm Thinking of Making" Thread

Started by Jenne, October 25, 2008, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Welp, I was THINKING of making Butternut Squash Soup, and so I did it.  Very fuss-free.

Butterbutt Squash Soup and Homemade Croutons

1 buttnerut squash
chicken stock
olive oil
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
sea salt
cracked pepper
herbes de provence
celery salt
nutmeg

Ok, I baked that squash at 350'F for about 2 to 2.5 hours, til it was collapsing.  Most recipes say to cut and gut first, but I just put it on a cookie sheet and letter rip.  When I could stick a fork all the way through, it was done.

I let it sit for a while to cool, then just PULLED off the skin.  I cut it in half and scooped the guts and seeds out by hand.  I put the pulp in the blender and poured a can of chicken stock on it.  I pureed that stuff til it could puree no mo.

Into a large soup pot it went, and then I added about 3/4 of the blender-pitcher full of water to the puree.  I had no white wine open (which I would have preferred), so in went some apple cider vinegar, as well as a splash of olive oil.  Next, in went the spices (do this to taste, really), and I basically did a pinch of the herbes de provence, 3 tsp of salt, about 1 tsp of cracked pepper, dashes of everything else.

Let it boil and then bring down to a simmer, and then EAT. 

Homemade Croutons

Day-old (at least!) bread
olive oil
Italian seasonings
salt (I had French Fry salt and that worked well)

Slice and cube the bread the size you want your croutons.  Slather those puppies in olive oil on a sheet or shallow pan, add seasonings.  Bake at 250'F for however long it takes to brown them.

Plop ontop of soup!

The saltiness of the croutons goes REALLY well with the slight sweetness of the soup.  HIGHLY recommended for a chilly day.  I also served with baby field green salad.

Jenne

Oh. My God.

Pork Shoulder Done With Leftover Red Wine

1 incredibly cheap pork shoulder (or butt, or whatever)
1 or so leftover bottles of wine that were past their best
1 ginormous jar of orange marmalade
Few dashes of cumin
Few dashes of sage
salt & pepper

I put that stuff to stew for oh 2.5 hours on 350, then an additional 2.5 hours on 275.  Falling off its fat ridge and sooo tender.  Yum!

LMNO

So, I've got a pound of steak tips.

Suggestions?

Richter

Terriyaki or hosin sauce for a marinade.

It'd be a good thing to grill, but maybe skewer with veggies and broil?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Jenne

K, word to the wise...if you've got no cornmeal, and you want to make corn fritters DO NOT use crushed up Doritos instead.

That is all.

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Jenne

:D  COME TO CLAREMONT (or is it CLAIRMONT? stupid Montclair being so close fucks me up)!

And I love you too, Eve.  In Eve, all things are possible.  :D

Eve

Claremont! Cram-citay has a Clairmont diner that keeps begging me to vandalize their sign to fix spelling. Someday it will happen, I'm sure.

Quote from: Jenne on December 17, 2008, 09:51:34 PM
In Eve, all things are possible.  :D

Except babies. :)

Dr Goofy

Quote from: Eve on December 18, 2008, 05:00:58 AM
Claremont! Cram-citay has a Clairmont diner that keeps begging me to vandalize their sign to fix spelling. Someday it will happen, I'm sure.

Quote from: Jenne on December 17, 2008, 09:51:34 PM
In Eve, all things are possible.  :D

Except babies. :)

Are you sure?

Eve

Sir Squid Diddimus

We has a Clermont here.

guh hyuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

LMNO

Eve