News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Winter Holiday

Started by Iason Ouabache, October 27, 2008, 10:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Santa was a Communist though.  Dressed in red, gave out everything for free and lived in a cold foreign country in the north.

Also have Traditional Values Campaign Against Xmas (on the basis that Paganism is the true traditional value system).

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2008, 01:26:22 PM
Santa was a Communist though.  Dressed in red, gave out everything for free and lived in a cold foreign country in the north.

:lulz:

This is great.

Also have Traditional Values Campaign Against Xmas (on the basis that Paganism is the true traditional value system).

This is also good; much better than my idea. The motto for the campaign could be: "Christmas: the most Magickal Time of the Year."
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

That One Guy

meh. I always just go with the Solstice.  UUs don't have ANY official holidays, so everything I celebrated growing up was an appropriation of someone else's thing, and I never really saw the point of celebrating anyone's birthday that I don't actually know.

Thumbing my nose at the longest night of the year always seemed like a more appropriate celebration than any of the other conveniently close holidays - even New Years always seems like it's at the wrong time to me. I'd put it some time in March, when the start of spring begins to be felt, the snow starts melting, and it actually FEELS like a new year, or on the solstice itself as a good point to start fresh with getting the shortest day of the year out of the way at the start.

All these deep-of-winter holidays are just appropriations of the pagan solstice celebrations anyway, so why not go back to the source?
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Cain

Quote from: Manta Obscura on October 28, 2008, 01:34:01 PM

:lulz:

This is great.

This is also good; much better than my idea. The motto for the campaign could be: "Christmas: the most Magickal Time of the Year."

Yours have merit as well.  Basically, we make Xmas look as unchristian as possible, through various methods, then we put up signs saying "Winterval (or winter holidays) in [town] 2008 - Sponsored by the Discordian Society" and stuff like that.  I know Winterval and tEh wAr oN cHrIsTmAs are huge bugbears over here as well, so that would really rile people up.

hooplala

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 27, 2008, 10:08:36 PM
Ok, I'm pissed that Discordianism doesn't officially have a winter holiday like everyone else (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Samhain, Yule, Solstice, Saturnalia, Festivus, Chrismukkah, Hogswatchnight, etc.).  I suggest we do something about this.  I want a lame excuse to recieve presents and spend time with my horrible family.  Who's with me?

Also, let's have a war on Christmas.  The secularists aren't doing a good enough job at it so far.  Their trolling skills are almost non-existant.

Yes there is.  Moosemas.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

A friend found a copy of the Moosemas book at an occult store in Ottawa... if there's anything in it which wasn't posted I shall do so.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cramulus on October 28, 2008, 09:28:55 PM
oh yeah, Moosemas!

Ratatosk re-discovers Moosemas

Last year's Moosemas day celebration
Excellent!  Now, the options are to spam this meme everywhere and make it a major Discordian holiday... or we do something else. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Golden Applesauce

I think I'm going to run with this War on Christmas idea.

Step 1 will be a press release to the student newspaper.
Step 2 will be PosterGASM the fuck out of my college.

I think I'm going to go with the idea that a consumerist holiday distracts people from the eternal gods, and promote Saturnalia as the healthy alternative, in terms of Christian theology.

Maybe we could have students teach the professors to celebrate?  Reversal of roles and all that?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

nostalgicBadger

It's kind of hard to be anti-Christmas without also being a little cliché. Christmas alternatives are kind of cliché, especially anything inspired by Seinfeld. I'm almost thinking that the most surprising thing we could do would be to actually acknowledge and celebrate Christmas, albeit with some original Discordian traditions.
meh.

Mangrove

I think we should celebrate the day that AKK taught us all the true meaning of Discordianism.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

BADGE OF HONOR

Man, you really have a grudge against him, don't you?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

nostalgicBadger

meh.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 05, 2008, 08:11:37 AM
Man, you really have a grudge against him, don't you?

You should actually check out his board, he's pretty hilariously insufferable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."