News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Oh look

Started by Vene, October 28, 2008, 02:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vene

Another successful vaccine.
http://children.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20081027/rotavirus-vaccine-a-success-story

"A vaccine against rotavirus, an infectious disease that causes potentially deadly diarrhea in infants, has led to a remarkable drop in hospitalizations and visits to the emergency room, researchers say.

Since it was introduced two years ago, the RotaTeq vaccine has cut the number of new rotavirus cases by 66% to 100%, according to a number of studies."

Kai

Quote from: Vene on October 28, 2008, 02:35:14 AM
Another successful vaccine.
http://children.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20081027/rotavirus-vaccine-a-success-story

"A vaccine against rotavirus, an infectious disease that causes potentially deadly diarrhea in infants, has led to a remarkable drop in hospitalizations and visits to the emergency room, researchers say.

Since it was introduced two years ago, the RotaTeq vaccine has cut the number of new rotavirus cases by 66% to 100%, according to a number of studies."

Excellent timing for who's birthday it is tomorrow.

Hint: the man who saved the children.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Xooxe

Damn, I came here for cupcakes but this is good news.

Iason Ouabache

My daughter got this vaccine a couple of months ago.  No side effects aside from the normal small fever and crankiness and no hospital visits either.  Glad to see that they've got rotavirus under control. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

Fine, since no one has guessed it.

Jonas Salk, the inventor of the Polio Vaccine, and with the help from another european gentlement that perfected it further, Polio is largely extinct in the modern world. It also led to the current understanding of vaccines and a slew of other medications that came along after.

The cautionary tale is this: just because its gone, doesn't mean its gone, so keep giving kids vaccines, because if the standards laps, the epidemic spreads again.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

BADGE OF HONOR

So how come nobody gets smallpox vaccines any more?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on October 28, 2008, 06:21:07 AM
There's no need to.  It was completely eradicated (except for 2 lab specimens) back in the 70's.  If you're worried about catching it you can always go find a cow with cowpox.
    \

Kai

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 28, 2008, 07:23:25 AM
Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on October 28, 2008, 06:21:07 AM
There's no need to.  It was completely eradicated (except for 2 lab specimens) back in the 70's.  If you're worried about catching it you can always go find a cow with cowpox.

Its all around us, and there are still some cases here and there in the world now and then. There isn't the fleas and rats problem needed, however, for it to become an epidemic in this part of the world. People in the US don't live in shit, usually.

Iason Ouabache

I think you've mixed up smallpox with bubonic plague, Kai.  Smallpox has been completely eradicated from nature. 
    \

Cain

Yeah. 

Also, more importantly

Thread fixed

Kai

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 28, 2008, 04:08:59 PM
I think you've mixed up smallpox with bubonic plague, Kai.  Smallpox has been completely eradicated from nature. 

Ah yes, thank you.

Vene

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2008, 04:11:26 PM
Yeah. 

Also, more importantly

Thread fixed
We need cupcakes to administer vaccines instead of shots.  Sure, there's work being done on edible vaccines, but they aren't cupcakes dammit!