My oven is going to be on for the next 4 months. What should I put in it?

Started by Bruno, October 29, 2008, 01:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

So yeah, I have this tiny apartment that I heat by just turning on the oven. I figure while I'm at it I should be cooking something. I can't cook in it most of the rest of the year because the house gets too hot. I've actually been looking foreword to cold weather so I could start cooking again.

I'm especially interested in making every kind of bread ever. Specifically, right now I'm looking for a really good pizza dough recipe.

I'm also planning on making some jerky, so suggestions there would be fucking awesome as well. My neighbor is a deer hunter, so there's a good chance I will have some venison at some point.

One of my wacky schemes for after I graduate college is to build a post-apocalyptic themed soup and bread vending machine franchise called "That Damned Reagan" (yes, my avatar is to be the company logo) which will feature mainly soup and bread, and also different variations of beans and rice.

The basic concept is to use only (or at least mostly) ingredients that have a very long shelf life. i.e dehydrated meats and vegetables, grains, legumes, root vegetables, hard squashes, etc. So I'm also looking for soup recipes that could be made with dehydrated ingredients.

But right now I'm mainly focusing on bread. I'd like to be an expert breadmaker by March before it gets too hot to bake.
Formerly something else...

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

:lol:  Roger.  And Jerry, I hope you don't run into any problems re: suits from Reagan's estate for using his face/name.  Otherwise, sounds like a great enterprise.

As for dehydration, any fruits, fruit leathers, veggies would be great.  They can be stored in airtight containers and eaten in the hotter summer months.  Or used in those soups, etc.  We have a dehydrator, and we don't use it half as much as we should.

Bruno

Rodger, Republican bone meal makes excellent focaccia.

Jenne, you're right about potential trouble from the Reagan estate. I should probably talk to a lawyer about it first, and be thinking of alternative names. I should probably also find an artist to draw a picture of Reagan for me instead of using a stock photo that I have no idea who it belongs to.

It never stopped Berkeley Breathed from making fun of him, but of course that was back when Reagan breathed.

Cainad (dec.)

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12753

If you've got something like a dutch oven, this recipe produces some of the most delicious bread evar, and is incredibly easy (no kneading of dough is involved).

Bruno

Somebody on another site recommended a dutch oven. I should look into that. There's a Lodge factory not far from here that sells factory seconds pretty cheap.

The Dark Monk

Carbon monoxide poisoning anyone?

Dutch Ovens - The bane of girlfriends worldwide.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Bruno