News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Add your eccentric food habits/tips/quirks here!

Started by navkat, October 29, 2008, 09:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Jasper on September 21, 2011, 10:41:35 PM
Quote from: Suu on September 21, 2011, 10:00:44 PM
Saute apples and onions together.

Yes. Really.

Confirmed.

I like them sauteed with curry.

Thirded.

Not eccentric, but I put gotchu jang (korean hot sauce - like jalapeno sauce, but fermented or a bit sour) in soups and rice.  Works plain as a dip too, or you can mix it with equal parts mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil and a bit of ginger and garlic to make korean take-away chicken dipping sauce.  Is nommy and kinda funky.
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Bruno

I've recently decided that, if any recipe you're preparing calls for lemon juice, and you have a choice between bottled lemon juice, and powdered yellow gatorade, use the gatorade.
Formerly something else...

Jenne

:x  Ew, sorry, but ew.  I'll take powdered LEMONADE over Gatorade.

Bruno

It worked for some hummus I made once. :shrug:

Also, bottled lemon juice is teh sukkk.

If you have powdered lemonade, that would probably be even better.

Some day I need to test my recipe for hillbilly hummus: peanut butter, pinto beans, and mountain dew.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I like to push the center out of my Reese cups and eat the outside first, saving the middles for last.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on October 29, 2011, 02:19:45 PM
I like to push the center out of my Reese cups and eat the outside first, saving the middles for last.

That is terribly cute.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Quote from: Emo Howard on October 29, 2011, 12:52:05 AM
It worked for some hummus I made once. :shrug:

Also, bottled lemon juice is teh sukkk.

If you have powdered lemonade, that would probably be even better.

Some day I need to test my recipe for hillbilly hummus: peanut butter, pinto beans, and mountain dew.

Hmf.  Sounds like "we're out of hummus ingredients so I'll throw together the shit we have leftover in the fridge..."  Not hummus.  :lol:

Bruno

No.

pinto beans = chickpeas

peanut butter = tahini

mountain dew = lemon juice

mebby thow in some wild onions out the yard for garlic.

By "test it" I mean  to see how awful it is.

Triple Zero

I read about using peanutbutter as a tahin substitute. I did it that way with the first hummus I made, it's really not the same.

It's interesting how sweet, sour and salt flavourings/condiments are quite well represented in the kitchen, but "bitter" is much less common.

There's tahin, hops, certain kinds of soy sauce (if they're not too salty or sweet) ... anything else? I'm always looking for that :) Cause it's my belief that any good sauce or dish or whatever should have at least a bit of these four basic flavours, to balance out a bit.

Emo Howard, I don't think you can sub pinto beans for chick peas. Since it's the majority of the hummus mass, you're not going to get very close, I'm afraid.

Maybe if you mix em up with kapucijners ("marrowfat peas", though I'm not 100% sure they're the same), they taste a bit like a mix in between peas and beans. You'd get a greenish tint in your hummus, though :)

Hm. That's not a bad idea actually, maybe I'll dump some thawed frozen peas into my next (proper) hummus, see what it does :) It would probably make the texture a bit smoother, the taste not affected much if I don't add too many, and hopefully a funky slightly greenish tiny :)

Oh and Howard, don't forget some hot sauce (ok peppers, but you're being ghetto) and shitloads of olive oil plus either water or the liquid from the canned beans, you need some of both to get the right creamy consistency. I wouldn't use too much Mt Dew :)

Wild onions, are they green onions? That's the most fancy quality ingredients in the whole recipe, so def chop those up fine and go for it :) If they're not green stems, but morel like white or red regular onion bulbs, chop them up REALLY fine, and soak em for 30-60 min in a small amount of vinegar (or Mt Dew or lemon juice) to get the sharpest "edge" off, that way you can use them raw in the mix.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

I'm just trying to help those filthy muzzies assimilate into good Amurrican culture.

Juana

Your version of Amurrican culture is gastronomically distressing. Mine just eats a cut of meat a lot of others won't (tri-tip, which is really fucking good).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You can make a tasty dip out of black beans and garlic. Doesn't taste a lot like hummus though. Chickpeas really do have a distinctive flavor.

Sorry you're trapped in Iowa or wherever. Seriously, there's more going on elsewhere, culinarily speaking.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

If you manage to find dried chick peas, you can get a shitload for very cheap, and they keep forever and they're quite nutricious so you'll be ready when the apocalypse comes.

It just takes like five hours (or overnight) to soak them, and then another hour (maybe two?) to boil them to get them ready for hummussication.

And then still, the canned ones are mushier, and create a slightly more optimal creamy consistency.

Canned ones can be found for fucking cheap too, btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

I've made hummus with dried chick peas several times, but I've never tried it with canned. I'll have to give that a shot.

Dried chickpeas are really easy to find around here. I don't know if that's because of the relatively large Middle Eastern population, or if that's just how it is everywhere.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Chickpeas are everywhere here too, AKA garbanzo beans.