News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

OHEMGEE GUYS TRUE DISCORDIANS 23 ERIS FNORDLAWOFFIVESFNORD!

Started by Manta Obscura, October 30, 2008, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manta Obscura

Sorry about the misleading title; just thought I should capture the essence of the "True Discordians."

I just got off the phone with a "True Discordian." Apparently I don't "respect the Law of Fives" or some shit. That is what is now leading to my "rise of the Aneristic illusion." I can usually put up with whatever quasi-mystical guilt trips that folks throw at me, but there are those days when someone who puts just one extra teaspoonful of crap in the Crazy Shit Bucket makes the whole thing overflow.

Quick details of my day for background:

1) Wake up, hungover. Get dressed for work.
2) Discover midday that hangover is actually masking sickness. Puke in disgusting office restroom.
3) Continue working, because Big Project is due today.
4) Get bitched at for coming in to work sick, deadline notwithstanding.
5) Eat lunch of crackers and water. Puke up lunch. Marvel at interesting colors therein.
6) Get call from "True Discordian" friend during lunchbreak. Bitch and moan about day, because I'm in a bitching and moaning mood.
7) Get 10 minute sermon about various outdated Discordian memes that make no sense contextually, but are meant to help me "reclaim the day."
8) Tell friend to fornicate himself with stick. Hang up and puke on shoes.

I like the Discordian irreligion, but I hate the Discordian religion. Now I'm not a violent man, but sometimes I dream of all the "TDs" cashing in their fnords for 23 horses which they can then ride to the fifth ring of hell.

Well, that's it. I'm going to go throw up some more and work on my project. Take care.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Jenne

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Perhaps your friend hoped to make you feel better... he may have been screwey on the words, but wasd the thought "OMGZ, you are teh bad" or "Dude! Don't forget the LOL!"

Either way, it was probably the wrong thing to do... ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Jenne on October 30, 2008, 06:34:03 PM
Um...feel better?

Also, you're "friend" is an asshole.

Thanks a lot, and yes he is (in reality, I'm being unfair; he's new to the "faith," and just a little overzealous. I'll feel more compassionate after sleep).

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 30, 2008, 06:37:43 PM
Perhaps your friend hoped to make you feel better... he may have been screwey on the words, but wasd the thought "OMGZ, you are teh bad" or "Dude! Don't forget the LOL!"

Either way, it was probably the wrong thing to do... ;-)

Yeah, you're right, Rat. I feel sort of bad for being an asshole, but ah well.

Cain

If you don't act in perfectly predictable and well known "zany" and "outlandish" ways, then you are clearly not a True Discordian, and must live out the rest of of your life in shameful ignomy, for blaspheming your...uh, creative and unpredictable religion?

Cramulus

hooplala

I'm of the opinion that "True Discordians" are much much worse than rabid fundie christians because they should FUCKING KNOW BETTER. 

One-up your friend in pinealism until he realizes how retarded it sounds. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on October 30, 2008, 07:28:19 PM
Fuck what you know about chaos

Can I laminate my books on chaos theory before fapping over them?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on October 30, 2008, 07:31:45 PM
I'm of the opinion that "True Discordians" are much much worse than rabid fundie christians because they should FUCKING KNOW BETTER. 

One-up your friend in pinealism until he realizes how retarded it sounds. 

RANT

Should fucking know better? If the poor sod just read the PD, I doubt he should know better. It's a book full of catchy memes, the fact that this dude is using them doesn't necessarily mean he's doing it wrong, does it?

I agree that Discordians should relish finding and making new memes, new stories, new books etc etc etc... but thinking for yourself doesn't necessarily mean a rejection of all other memes. Hell, TFY,S! is an old Discordian meme, in and of itself, by saying "TFY,S! n00b" aren't we parroting a meme just as old and hoary as "You're falling for the Aneristic Delusion"? The thing is, they're both USEFUL memes.... useless people simply repeat them ad nauseum and have no actual thought to go along with it...

If the guy was posting 23LOLPINEALFNORD continually here, among Discordians that have stated that's not what they're interested in, I'd say he should fucking know better. But, when I was a n00b Discordian, I was happy just to have something that made some kind of sense to me. After 25 years of dogmatic YOU MUST BELIEVE X EXACTLY, I was fine with people repeating memes about thinking for yourself, or ordering and disordering as you will. I loved the memes, because they gave me a frame of reference UNTIL I had enough information to build my own frame of reference.

Admonish the n00b, for he is a Fool. Laugh at the n00b, for he is a dick, sometimes. Cherish the n00b, for he is the future. But, remember, the n00b is a Discordian, like every man woman and child on this planet. He may still be partly cabbage and partly human, but, at least, he's partly human... and might become more.

Ok, I'm done ranting, Sorry Hoops.

hooplala

Telling someone they aren't 'respecting the Law of Fives' is bullshit, in my opinion, and I will call it bullshit.

People tend to get into Discordianism because they are sick of the rigidity of other paths, but then some get just as caught up in that same idiocy... its pointless.  If you want to be a fundie, be a fundie, but being a fundie in a religion or philosophy actually created to avoid that is idiotic.

It has nothing to do with rejecting the old memes, it has everything to do with not eating that fucking menu.

Come on, Rat.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

And, as for him being a n00b, yes I was a dogmatic fool when I became Discordian.  And fortunately, I had some people who smacked me out of it, rather than finding my idiocy precious.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on October 30, 2008, 08:48:49 PM
Telling someone they aren't 'respecting the Law of Fives' is bullshit, in my opinion, and I will call it bullshit.

People tend to get into Discordianism because they are sick of the rigidity of other paths, but then some get just as caught up in that same idiocy... its pointless.  If you want to be a fundie, be a fundie, but being a fundie in a religion or philosophy actually created to avoid that is idiotic.

It has nothing to do with rejecting the old memes, it has everything to do with not eating that fucking menu.

Come on, Rat.

I agree with everything you said... I'm just pointing out that Day one, or even Year One of finding Eris, doesn't necessarily bring you to a point where you can grok that. You are talking about the Meat of Discordianism... lots of n00bs are still on the Milk. ;-)

And my comment wasn't about smacking or not smacking the n00b, only that 'Should Know Better" and "Worse than Fundie Christians" seems a bit harsh....

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk