News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Let's Talk About The Subgenii

Started by hooplala, November 05, 2008, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Loki on November 05, 2008, 06:44:44 PM
I feel that SubGenius stuff has more personal empowerment focus than Discordia, as goofy as that may sound.  I read somewhere (may have been one of the PD intros, cant remember) that SubGenii take the stuff Discordians use to clean their third eyes and smoke it.  I'd call that accurate. 

SubGeniusism has more mouth-froth than Discordja.

Hopefully that rambling post helped a little.

This is exactly what I got out of reading the SubGenius book.  I really enjoyed the self-empowerment parts of the BotSG.  The bit about the aliens or whatever coming in 1998 is kind of where I lost it.  To me that part is similar to the parts in the PD where it gets lost in its own joke.  I guess, to me, it kind of lessened the impact of the impactful pieces.  Also, I'm stingy and don't want to send money so I like Discordianism in that it's pretty much a freebie after you buy the book. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Cramulus on November 05, 2008, 06:05:19 PM
to be honest, I've never made it through the Book of the Subgenius.

Too preachy, too smug, too condescending, too profiteering for my taste. After reading 30 pages of cramped text about how awesome SubGenii are -- with barely any explanation as to WHY -- I lost interest. I can see how it would appeal to outsiders with superiority complexes. But it lacked the simple, taoist qualities that initially attracted me to Discordia.

I think you may have really hit on it right here.  The simple, Daoist qualities sorta bored me, just like the Dao De Ching kinda bored me.  I like my religions complicated, convoluted, and hard to understand.

The aliens bit?  1. It does get lost in its own jokes, and thats one of the things I like.  I get lost in my own jokes.  2.  We'll see who's joking once 1998 comes around, boyo.

"Fuck you if you cant take a joke".  Its a simple enough statement, but when I first saw it in writing, surrounded by the Stangs ravings, it was like a bomb going off behind my eyes.  It's become my mantra.  The Church has so much more black humor than Discordia, and I've always been a big fan of black humor.  

I smell the hippy every time I read something Discordian (old school Discordian, at least, not so much BIP), and a hippy I am not.  SubGenii seem meaner than Discordians on average, and being a dick myself I can really get behind that.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Faust

Too preachy, too smug, too condescending, too profiteering for my taste. After reading 30 pages of cramped text about how awesome SubGenii are -- with barely any explanation as to WHY -- I lost interest. I can see how it would appeal to outsiders with superiority complexes. But it lacked the simple, taoist qualities that initially attracted me to Discordia.
I actually found that stuff an ironic (but far more bitter then discordian) parody of certain cults. There are some really good peices in it TBOTSG, but they mostly come from a very negative place, so it can really depend on a persons state of mind
Sleepless nights at the chateau

hooplala

Hmm... I don't feel like a hippy, and I'm a fairly mean person most of the time.

Maybe I am a SubGenius . . .

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bruno

Once upon a time, I tried to be a hippie.

It didn't work out.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Faust on November 05, 2008, 07:11:05 PM

I actually found that stuff an ironic (but far more bitter then discordian) parody of certain cults. There are some really good peices in it TBOTSG, but they mostly come from a very negative place, so it can really depend on a persons state of mind

Yes, I'd say that SubGenius stuff is a lot more negative and bitter on the whole.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 07:11:53 PM
Hmm... I don't feel like a hippy, and I'm a fairly mean person most of the time.

I'm a discordian when I am in the mood for lighthearted fun, on the days that the only thing getting me out of bed is my caffeen addiction and the urge to ruin someones day I'm a subgenius.

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Faust on November 05, 2008, 07:14:56 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 07:11:53 PM

I'm a discordian when I am in the mood for lighthearted fun, on the days that the only thing getting me out of bed is my caffeen addiction and the urge to ruin someones day I'm a subgenius.

this

- William Shakespeare

Dysfunctional Cunt

HOLD THE PHONE....

You mean to tell me that all that is required is to be mean and nasty and that makes you SubGenius?

:evil: 

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Yeah, the negativity is core what repelled me.

Most of the time, I think the universe is actually a pretty cool place. It's exciting, dynamic, funny, and awesome. I believe that cabbages are generally well-meaning people until they inherit the curse of Greyface. I get the sense that Subgenii disagree - and they love to fuck over all those people.

Also, humans are flawed beings, and I'm a human so I'm no different. I'm certainly not a hippie by any measure, but I'm generally pretty "I'm okay you're okay". Most Subgenii I've met have been very "I'm okay, you're a piece of shit." I just think it's a waste of energy to be so pissed off and negative all the time. I can get just as much done but with a way lower bloodpressure.

Faust

Quote from: Khara on November 05, 2008, 07:18:38 PM
HOLD THE PHONE....

You mean to tell me that all that is required is to be mean and nasty and that makes you SubGenius?

:evil: 
not exactly, its like saying such and such makes you a discordian, however fluff discordians are generally harmless pests (because of the core presentation of discordianism) and the subgenius fluff is... well its generally far more sinister

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Cramulus on November 05, 2008, 07:19:53 PM
Yeah, the negativity is core what repelled me.

Most of the time, I think the universe is actually a pretty cool place. It's exciting, dynamic, funny, and awesome. I believe that cabbages are generally well-meaning people until they inherit the curse of Greyface. I get the sense that Subgenii disagree - and they love to fuck over all those people.

Also, humans are flawed beings, and I'm a human so I'm no different. I'm certainly not a hippie by any measure, but I'm generally pretty "I'm okay you're okay". Most Subgenii I've met have been very "I'm okay, you're a piece of shit." I just think it's a waste of energy to be so pissed off and negative all the time. I can get just as much done but with a way lower bloodpressure.

The universe IS a pretty cool place.  It monkies that enrage me.  I'm pissed off all the time, but that isnt mutually exclusive with laughing and being amused for me.

- William Shakespeare

Cramulus

yeah but the monkeys are an integral part of that cool universe.

and you're a monkey too