News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Let's Talk About The Subgenii

Started by hooplala, November 05, 2008, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on November 05, 2008, 07:19:53 PM
Yeah, the negativity is core what repelled me.

Most of the time, I think the universe is actually a pretty cool place. It's exciting, dynamic, funny, and awesome. I believe that cabbages are generally well-meaning people until they inherit the curse of Greyface. I get the sense that Subgenii disagree - and they love to fuck over all those people.

Also, humans are flawed beings, and I'm a human so I'm no different. I'm certainly not a hippie by any measure, but I'm generally pretty "I'm okay you're okay". Most Subgenii I've met have been very "I'm okay, you're a piece of shit." I just think it's a waste of energy to be so pissed off and negative all the time. I can get just as much done but with a way lower bloodpressure.
the thing is, the way the book presents itself is that its ironic self importance (which is exactly the same and as laughable as regular self importance), I think it can be a very positive tool for people with low self confidence, but only inconjuntion with other material... or them using common sense to see where the meaning ends and the joke beggins
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Loki

Quote from: Cramulus on November 05, 2008, 07:25:48 PM
yeah but the monkeys are an integral part of that cool universe.

and you're a monkey too

EXACTLY.  And we SubGenii are ALL ABOUT jokes that are in bad taste, you see?  Mankind is a dirty joke, and even though I'm slightly offended, I'm still laughing.

And I'm a hairier monkey.

Quote from: Faust on November 05, 2008, 07:26:22 PM

the thing is, the way the book presents itself is that its ironic self importance (which is exactly the same and as laughable as regular self importance), I think it can be a very positive tool for people with low self confidence, but only inconjuntion with other material... or them using common sense to see where the meaning ends and the joke beggins

It helped me with that.  I would interject that part of the whole point, though, is that the meaning and the joke can't be easily seperated.

Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 07:31:36 PM
Still waiting for Roger's take...
Me too.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

hooplala

Roger . . . ?

Hellooo?

(I'm not letting this thread drift to the bottom)

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on November 05, 2008, 06:05:19 PM
to be honest, I've never made it through the Book of the Subgenius.

Too preachy, too smug, too condescending, too profiteering for my taste. After reading 30 pages of cramped text about how awesome SubGenii are -- with barely any explanation as to WHY -- I lost interest. I can see how it would appeal to outsiders with superiority complexes. But it lacked the simple, taoist qualities that initially attracted me to Discordia.

:|
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 10:26:37 PM
Roger . . . ?

Hellooo?

Nothing.

When the rubber hits the road, the Subgenius is about Slack™.  What is Slack™, you ask?  Forgoing all the cutesy church jokes, Slack™ is the art of enjoying the ride.  Doing what you WANT to do, with the pitifully short time you have on this mudball, rather than spending your life doing something you hate, and dying miserably after a miserable life.  Wasting your life being unhappy is the ONE true sin, and those who do so will be dropped down the chute into hell, where mean cops give you tickets and bill collectors bang on the door and everyone says they're happy, but they're really not, and they KNOW it, and they have huge puncture marks all over their backs and weird growths on their genitalia and...

...oops.  I started off talking about Slack™, and wound up talking about Phoenix.  My bad.

But you get the point.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on November 05, 2008, 07:19:53 PM
Yeah, the negativity is core what repelled me.

Most of the time, I think the universe is actually a pretty cool place. It's exciting, dynamic, funny, and awesome. I believe that cabbages are generally well-meaning people until they inherit the curse of Greyface. I get the sense that Subgenii disagree - and they love to fuck over all those people.

Also, humans are flawed beings, and I'm a human so I'm no different. I'm certainly not a hippie by any measure, but I'm generally pretty "I'm okay you're okay". Most Subgenii I've met have been very "I'm okay, you're a piece of shit." I just think it's a waste of energy to be so pissed off and negative all the time. I can get just as much done but with a way lower bloodpressure.

Then you both, you and Dr Loki, missed the point.  So do hundreds of bobbies who THINK they got the joke, but laughed at all the wrong parts and are STILL miserable despite their "inclusion" in the "joke".  As "Bob" says, "You may think this is all a joke, but you'll NEVER get the punchline".

All the hate and negativity?  Well, there's two takes on that, and both are equally correct.  Some Subgenii hate humans, and want them all gone.  Some just need to remind themselves how messed up things ARE, so they'll see the pitfalls ahead (those usually just want to enslave the humans).

The Good Reverend Roger

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 06, 2008, 02:47:24 AM
Roger . . . ?

Hellooo?

Nothing.

When the rubber hits the road, the Subgenius is about Slack™.  What is Slack™, you ask?  Forgoing all the cutesy church jokes, Slack™ is the art of enjoying the ride.  Doing what you WANT to do, with the pitifully short time you have on this mudball, rather than spending your life doing something you hate, and dying miserably after a miserable life.  Wasting your life being unhappy is the ONE true sin, and those who do so will be dropped down the chute into hell, where mean cops give you tickets and bill collectors bang on the door and everyone says they're happy, but they're really not, and they KNOW it, and they have huge puncture marks all over their backs and weird growths on their genitalia and...

...oops.  I started off talking about Slack™, and wound up talking about Phoenix.  My bad.

But you get the point.

HAIL YES.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on November 06, 2008, 03:10:04 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 06, 2008, 02:47:24 AM
Roger . . . ?

Hellooo?

Nothing.

But you get the point.

HAIL YES.

That's the whole "Or Kill Me" thing.

Because the only way to stop a Subgenius from doing what he wants to do and saying what he wants to say is to kill him.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman