News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Let's Talk About The Subgenii

Started by hooplala, November 05, 2008, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on November 06, 2008, 03:13:44 AM
Perhaps there's hope for me yet.

Unless someone kills you.  Then you're just dead.  Like poor little Uday, who was just trying to have a good time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 06, 2008, 02:47:24 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 10:26:37 PM
Roger . . . ?

Hellooo?

(I'm not letting this thread drift to the bottom)

Nothing.

When the rubber hits the road, the Subgenius is about Slack™.  What is Slack™, you ask?  Forgoing all the cutesy church jokes, Slack™ is the art of enjoying the ride.  Doing what you WANT to do, with the pitifully short time you have on this mudball, rather than spending your life doing something you hate, and dying miserably after a miserable life.  Wasting your life being unhappy is the ONE true sin, and those who do so will be dropped down the chute into hell, where mean cops give you tickets and bill collectors bang on the door and everyone says they're happy, but they're really not, and they KNOW it, and they have huge puncture marks all over their backs and weird growths on their genitalia and...

...oops.  I started off talking about Slack™, and wound up talking about Phoenix.  My bad.

But you get the point.

THIS

this I dig a whole lot

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on November 06, 2008, 03:21:06 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 10:26:37 PM
Roger . . . ?

Hellooo?

Nothing.

When the rubber hits the road, the Subgenius is about Slack™.  What is Slack™, you ask?  Forgoing all the cutesy church jokes, Slack™ is the art of enjoying the ride.  Doing what you WANT to do, with the pitifully short time you have on this mudball, rather than spending your life doing something you hate, and dying miserably after a miserable life.  Wasting your life being unhappy is the ONE true sin, and those who do so will be dropped down the chute into hell, where mean cops give you tickets and bill collectors bang on the door and everyone says they're happy, but they're really not, and they KNOW it, and they have huge puncture marks all over their backs and weird growths on their genitalia and...

...oops.  I started off talking about Slack™, and wound up talking about Phoenix.  My bad.

But you get the point.

THIS

this I dig a whole lot

Yeah, rebuking the heathen is really just a sideline, but it's funnier, so it gets more space in the book.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 06, 2008, 03:14:50 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 06, 2008, 03:13:44 AM
Perhaps there's hope for me yet.

Unless someone kills you.  Then you're just dead.  Like poor little Uday, who was just trying to have a good time.

History has proven you can't keep a Salazorian down.  Even after cutting them into pieces.  They multiply.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on November 06, 2008, 03:21:06 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 05, 2008, 10:26:37 PMRoger . . . ?

Hellooo?

Nothing.

But you get the point.

THIS

this I dig a whole lot

yes. i find it a lot harder that it sounds, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Faust on November 05, 2008, 07:23:00 PM
Quote from: Khara on November 05, 2008, 07:18:38 PM
HOLD THE PHONE....

You mean to tell me that all that is required is to be mean and nasty and that makes you SubGenius?

:evil: 
not exactly, its like saying such and such makes you a discordian, however fluff discordians are generally harmless pests (because of the core presentation of discordianism) and the subgenius fluff is... well its generally far more sinister

Sinister fluff....  there has to be a meme in there somewhere.

Still being fairly new to the whole Discordian idea, I also haven't got a lot of info on the SubGenius either so does anyone have a link to the download mentioned??

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

Quote from: Khara on November 06, 2008, 03:41:56 PM
HOLD THE PHONE....

You mean to tell me that all that is required is to be mean and nasty and that makes you SubGenius?

not exactly, its like saying such and such makes you a discordian, however fluff discordians are generally harmless pests (because of the core presentation of discordianism) and the subgenius fluff is... well its generally far more sinister

Still being fairly new to the whole Discordian idea, I also haven't got a lot of info on the SubGenius either so does anyone have a link to the download mentioned??

Which download?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Hoopla on November 06, 2008, 03:50:33 PM
HOLD THE PHONE....

Which download?

Now that I read it again, it was the Principia Discordia that was referred to.  Damn! 

Payne

HOLD THE PHONE....

Which download?

Possibly the mention someone made to downloading the PD.

Which is not the BotSG, or course.

Or is it?

AFK

Quote from: Payne on November 06, 2008, 04:28:13 PM
HOLD THE PHONE....

Which download?

Possibly the mention someone made to downloading the PD.

Which is not the BotSG, or course.

Or is it?

a joke, wrapped in religion, wrapped in someone else's joke? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I find the Discordians and SubG's very similar in their philosophy. The Discordians use absurd memes and models that poke fun of the Newage, Hippie, neoPagan movement, in an effort to provide a philosophical set of ideas. The SubG's use absurd memes and models that poke fun of the Fundamentalist, Money Grubbing, Cult groups, in an effort to provide a philosophical set of ideas.

Discordians are told not to believe anything.
Sub Geniuses are told to COMPLETELY BELIEVE things so absurd that it's unlikely that anyone would truly believe it.
It's two different ways to model "Think For Yourself".

I think both systems attack the Ego. Discordian philosophy slowly erodes the foundations of the Ego like the waves of the ocean against the cliff, while the Sub Geniuses either pump the ego full of helium until it pops, or points and laughs at your ego until it crawls off to hide in shame. I don't think the SubG stuff is negative, its parody... if you take the parody seriously, it sure seems negative.

IMO, I find the BiP to have a more bleak outlook than anything I've read from the SG presses. But, tha's entirely IMO.

Another interesting difference between the SubG and the DIscordians is media. We can collect all the known Discordian works and we'd probably have a few hundred documents, a couple videos, a little audio here and there...

The library of Sub Genius material is HUGE. Audio, Video, Radio Shows, Documents, Pranks Claymation etc etc etc. Not to mention Devivals, X Day, etc etc. Gigs of material, and thats just the stuff that's made it to digital format.

They may have a similar philosophical basis to Discordians, but something tends to push lots of creative output. Maybe its due to having a single Figurehead (Stang) that was so active for so long, versus Discordians that had two founders, one of which went off to live a normal life, the other became a hermit and lost several, if not all, of his marbles. The closest thing Discordianism had to a 'leader' was probably RAW and he was far more interested in his own ideas and philosophies than in maintaining a active national scene as Stang has.

One of my SubG friends said that it was because the Sub Genius is intent on putting his fist in the face of the Norm to find Enlightenment, while the Discordian is busy sticking his fist up his own bum to find Enlightenment.

My personal categorization goes likethis:

The Erisian sees the Cabbage and hopes it will become Human.
The Discordian sees the Cabbage and figures it might become human, or might not... but either way it will be good for some laughs.
The Sub Genius sees that Cabbage and makes Cole Slaw.

And, in some sense... they all see the Cabbage and know that they're looking in a mirror.  :fnord:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Is Mark Mothersbaugh still with the CoSG?  I recall reading somewhere that he left. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 06, 2008, 05:53:54 PM
I find the Discordians and SubG's very similar in their philosophy. The Discordians use absurd memes and models that poke fun of the Newage, Hippie, neoPagan movement, in an effort to provide a philosophical set of ideas. The SubG's use absurd memes and models that poke fun of the Fundamentalist, Money Grubbing, Cult groups, in an effort to provide a philosophical set of ideas.

Discordians are told not to believe anything.
Sub Geniuses are told to COMPLETELY BELIEVE things so absurd that it's unlikely that anyone would truly believe it.
It's two different ways to model "Think For Yourself".

I think both systems attack the Ego. Discordian philosophy slowly erodes the foundations of the Ego like the waves of the ocean against the cliff, while the Sub Geniuses either pump the ego full of helium until it pops, or points and laughs at your ego until it crawls off to hide in shame. I don't think the SubG stuff is negative, its parody... if you take the parody seriously, it sure seems negative.

IMO, I find the BiP to have a more bleak outlook than anything I've read from the SG presses. But, tha's entirely IMO.

Another interesting difference between the SubG and the DIscordians is media. We can collect all the known Discordian works and we'd probably have a few hundred documents, a couple videos, a little audio here and there...

The library of Sub Genius material is HUGE. Audio, Video, Radio Shows, Documents, Pranks Claymation etc etc etc. Not to mention Devivals, X Day, etc etc. Gigs of material, and thats just the stuff that's made it to digital format.

They may have a similar philosophical basis to Discordians, but something tends to push lots of creative output. Maybe its due to having a single Figurehead (Stang) that was so active for so long, versus Discordians that had two founders, one of which went off to live a normal life, the other became a hermit and lost several, if not all, of his marbles. The closest thing Discordianism had to a 'leader' was probably RAW and he was far more interested in his own ideas and philosophies than in maintaining a active national scene as Stang has.

One of my SubG friends said that it was because the Sub Genius is intent on putting his fist in the face of the Norm to find Enlightenment, while the Discordian is busy sticking his fist up his own bum to find Enlightenment.

My personal categorization goes likethis:

The Erisian sees the Cabbage and hopes it will become Human.
The Discordian sees the Cabbage and figures it might become human, or might not... but either way it will be good for some laughs.
The Sub Genius sees that Cabbage and makes Cole Slaw.

And, in some sense... they all see the Cabbage and know that they're looking in a mirror.  :fnord:

These characterizations remind me of those two Zen schools of thought. I think the one was called Rinzai, and the other Soto.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 06, 2008, 06:13:00 PM
Is Mark Mothersbaugh still with the CoSG?  I recall reading somewhere that he left. 

When I took the MLA class on the SubG's, Mark was still one of them... so unless he left in the past year, I think he's still in. (Whatever in or out of the church means for SubG's ;-) ).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson