News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

My Country

Started by Adios, November 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Has made me proud.

Not because I think Obama can fix everything.
Not because racism is cured.
Not because everything is suddenly rose colored.
Not because a black man was elected.

I am proud because differences were put aside. Because hope was chosen over desperation. Because people came out in record numbers and made a difference and left their apathy at the door. It seems to me that Americans took a baby step yesterday towards taking our country back.
I doubt that Obama will be a miracle worker. He will face ups and downs like any other. This isn't about Obama. It's about Americans finally standing up. It's about just a few of the scales falling off of our eyes. My sincere hope is we will realize that for changes to work we have to work them.
Yes I am aware of the anti gay legislation that passed and that disgusts me. I am focusing on the bigger picture and have some optimism that the youth movement this election developed will grow and prosper and with it bring change. The change will come slowly and painfully, but it can come.

My country did not elect a black man, they elected a man who is black.

I feel hope for the first time in a long time. Just a small stir of it.

The Dark Monk

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on November 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM

The part I disagree on.
The black voters voted for a black man. Something like 96% of black people voted for him, with over 60% saying it was racially motivated.

America - Still has broken legs, crawling in search of a way out of the well.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Adios

43% of whites voted for him.

hooplala

Has made me proud.

Not because I think Obama can fix everything.
Not because everything is suddenly rose colored.
Not because a black man was elected.

I am proud because differences were put aside. Because hope was chosen over desperation. Because people came out in record numbers and made a difference and left their apathy at the door. It seems to me that Americans took a baby step yesterday towards taking our country back.
I doubt that Obama will be a miracle worker. He will face ups and downs like any other. This isn't about Obama. It's about Americans finally standing up. It's about just a few of the scales falling off of our eyes. My sincere hope is we will realize that for changes to work we have to work them.
Yes I am aware of the anti gay legislation that passed and that disgusts me. I am focusing on the bigger picture and have some optimism that the youth movement this election developed will grow and prosper and with it bring change. The change will come slowly and painfully, but it can come.

I feel hope for the first time in a long time. Just a small stir of it.

I feel the same way, and I'm not even American.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Dark Monk

It's the culture of the black community I think.
43% of whites voting for him is a decent example of equality, as much as it's rearing it's head in this election.
It means a maximum of 57% voted for McCain just because he was white, which is would be completely tremendous if they all voted for him simply because he was white, but I simply don't know the numbers. I'll look up more on racially motivated white votes towards a white president.
It just seems to me, experiencing california in all it's robust strong willed black and latino cultures, that these people voted for him not on politics or for change, but simply because he was black.
Racism or favoritism because of skin color isn't just for white people.
In fact, it has been so ground in so cal culture that being white is uncool, and you see decent folk allowing terms cracked at them or getting pushed around because of that.
Maybe it's just a so cal thing.
~MIAB~

hooplala

Dude.  I would have voted for him just for being black, and I'm as cracker as they come.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Dark Monk

I wouldn't lol, I don't care about skin color at all.
And have you seen a picture of me? I make Casper look tan.
~MIAB~

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I voted for him because I heard he was going to make America half-black.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dr Goofy

I doubt that! But the major thing about this election I like is the young people actually showed they were not apathetic and rose to the occasion.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Dr Goofy on November 05, 2008, 07:42:43 PM

I doubt that! But the major thing about this election I like is the young people actually showed they were not apathetic and rose to the occasion.

Amen, Dr. I had to wait for an hour and a half to vote yesterday, and I was actually glad about it. It shows that people are taking an interest in their world.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Payne

Yeah, the ONLY thing that could really be considered victory in this election is the implicit empowerment of people who have felt disenfranchised in the past.

Young people, black people, first time voters. They can see now how much say they really DO have, at least between one evil and a lesser evil.

Hopefully they'll remember that.

Now they need to be shown that political will and power isn't exercised purely through a vote. If they were willing to stand in lines for hours to put their mark next to a name, surely they should be willing to sit in a comfy chair and write an angry letter or two?

I don't hold much hope for that, but having been surprised by the turnout and the demographics of that turnout, I have to admit that anything is possible.

The Dark Monk

~MIAB~

Elder Iptuous

so, is the consensus here that political participation is a good thing as an end unto itself?

Adios

Quote from: Iptuous on November 06, 2008, 12:15:13 AM
so, is the consensus here that political participation is a good thing as an end unto itself?

I think it is indeed good to be active in the political process of your country.

Eater of Clowns

I do think Obama is just a democrat, I do think he's just a politician, but there's something else at work here.

Obama inspires people, particularly people of my generation.  He's an incredible orator and has a demeanor that'd suit him in asking "And how does that make you feel?"  For the last eight years, since I was 14, we've seen this fucking jackass in the White House who couldn't string a sentence together and frequently highlighted the worst America had to offer.  What was there to be proud of in this country?

It's my hope we'll see an increase in national pride from the youth, leading to increased civic engagement because of a greater affinity towards our countrymen.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.