PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

My Country

Started by Adios, November 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: Iptuous on November 06, 2008, 06:48:08 PM
also good points.
I'm guessing the immigrants denied the right to be directly involved in the political process also take the time to become informed (to whatever extent they can)  This is qualitatively different from the kids who are voting based on some emotional plea and a pithy phrase.  I've talked to some and they can't give any valid reason why they are voting the way they are voting. (assuming that validity is based on reasoned decisions about the impact of likely policies implemented)  And this was from 'both' sides mind you.

as an aside, who was it that had in their sig "it's not enough to have the right to be wrong; you must exercise it!"
If someone walks into the booth and randomly pulls the levers, i don't see how this could possibly be doing any good for the system, and can definitely see where it would be hurting the system.

It does good the way anything that's a publicly demonstrable usage of your rights does.  It's a reinforcement that the system is in play.

Also:  there are enough checks and balances built into what becomes a referendum and who is running for office that truly, any decision made in that voting booth is sanctioned by a large majority already.  That's why when you believe opposite to that referendum on the ballot that is so repugnant to you, it dawns on you who you actually live around and what they truly believe.

And that is FINE.   It's part of the process, and I think a truly beautiful aspect of it is that you don't have to pass an IQ test or know every piece of leg out there in order to be a part of it...you can be Joe Sixpack (ugh, I have to stop using that reference), and you can have a bare minimal knowledge base of what is going on and stilll participate it.  Freedom for All, Equality for All, Rights and Liberties for All.  It's fantastic.  And it's seldom used to its fullest, more's the pity.

AFK

as an aside, who was it that had in their sig "it's not enough to have the right to be wrong; you must exercise it!"
If someone walks into the booth and randomly pulls the levers, i don't see how this could possibly be doing any good for the system, and can definitely see where it would be hurting the system.

No, actually it is good for the system.  The fact that someone has the right to enter the voting booth is the important piece.  Political literacy is a separate issue.  The fact that any U.S. citizen can go in and throw the levers at random is a plus.  Because it also means that every other U.S. citizen has that same ability.  Any form of voter discrimination will ultimately leave out "informed" voters.  Placing limits on voting may weed out the "undesirable" voters but it will ultimately leave out some that one would deem "desirable".  If, for example, you say only people who've had 4 years of college can vote, you are going to eliminate bright people who happend to be in hard times and couldn't afford college, but who would've ultimately succeeded in college.  So maybe with that barrier you've eliminated some dopes who would just throw levers at random, but you've also eliminated well-meaning voters.  

So having the random schmuck is good because it means you aren't discriminating against the well-intentioned.  And the more of those you have, the more they make up for those who don't take it as seriously.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

:x

Cramulus,
Randomocrat

Elder Iptuous

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
No way am i saying that we should have some kind of discriminant to determine whether anyone is fit to vote!
That's not at all what i'm saying.  I'm just talking about the campaigns to urge 100% participation and the stigmatizing of not voting, even if you are not able to make an informed decision.  They don't seem to lead to anything but pandering as far as i can see.
And, of course, that is only a natural outcome, and i can't expect anything else.  It was just a comment and a query on this communities value assessment of the situation.
I'm pretty conservative in some political senses, (in fact i'm sure some here would consider me a political luddite) but i'm not the type to impede participation.

AFK

Don't misunderstand.  I am not suggesting you are for discrimination.  I am simply pointing out why it is good that you have someone excercising their right to vote in a way that seems detrimental.  The point is that it is symbolic of the fact that discrimination isn't occurring. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.