News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

What does everyone here think of Transhumanism?

Started by Doktor Loki, November 05, 2008, 08:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

You DO realize that a tension headache is caused by physical conditions, namely vascular flow...right? And its also important, the message being "stop whatever you are doing to make it happen or your arteries are gonna pop.".

Also, theres a religion that addresses suffering pretty well. Has some good tools for dealing with it too, if you're interested.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Vene

Dammit Kai, quit taking my responses.  :argh!:

I have no issue with body modification, but pain is there for a reason.  Especially when you consider that people who can't feel pain tend to die before age 25 (link).

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Roo on November 05, 2008, 11:17:27 PMBut if I get a headache, it hurts. Is that not pain? Is that *only* psychological? If so, why does it feel the same as if someone hit me on the head?

Wut
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Roo

Quote from: Kai on November 05, 2008, 11:29:55 PM

You DO realize that a tension headache is caused by physical conditions, namely vascular flow...right? And its also important, the message being "stop whatever you are doing to make it happen or your arteries are gonna pop.".

Also, theres a religion that addresses suffering pretty well. Has some good tools for dealing with it too, if you're interested.

:oops: bad example. Shit. okay, pain=physical. suffering=psychological. check.

yeah, I'm interested. PM me so we don't jack this thread.

Roo

Quote from: Nigel on November 06, 2008, 12:06:07 AM
Quote from: Roo on November 05, 2008, 11:17:27 PMBut if I get a headache, it hurts. Is that not pain? Is that *only* psychological? If so, why does it feel the same as if someone hit me on the head?

Wut

I'm blaming it on the fact that I haven't had dinner yet.

Kai

Quote from: Roo on November 06, 2008, 12:07:48 AM

Its not going to jack the thread.

Its called "Buddhism".

Roo

Quote from: Kai on November 06, 2008, 12:09:04 AM

Its called "Buddhism".

*facepalm*

Forget it. I was hoping you'd come across something I hadn't already tried and rejected.

Kai

Quote from: Roo on November 06, 2008, 12:13:21 AM

Its called "Buddhism".

*facepalm*

Forget it. I was hoping you'd come across something I hadn't already tried and rejected.

You do realize that the only way to stop psychological suffering is to change your mind so that it doesn't become attached to or averted from anything, and is firmly fixed in reality, in the present moment. Its the *only way*. If you're looking for something easy, it doesn't exist.

Roo

Quote from: Kai on November 06, 2008, 12:17:46 AM

Its called "Buddhism".

*facepalm*

You do realize that the only way to stop psychological suffering is to change your mind so that it doesn't become attached to or averted from anything, and is firmly fixed in reality, in the present moment. Its the *only way*. If you're looking for something easy, it doesn't exist.

Of course. But I keep an eye out for things to make it easier. Every now and again, I find something.

Kai

Quote from: Roo on November 06, 2008, 12:32:22 AM

Its called "Buddhism".

*facepalm*

Of course. But I keep an eye out for things to make it easier. Every now and again, I find something.

Make what easier?

Roo

Quote from: Kai on November 06, 2008, 12:38:32 AM

Its called "Buddhism".

*facepalm*

Make what easier?
Detachment and acceptance.

Kai

Quote from: Roo on November 06, 2008, 12:42:15 AM
Quote from: Kai on November 06, 2008, 12:38:32 AM

Its called "Buddhism".

*facepalm*

Make what easier?
Detachment and acceptance.

Become a fundie.

Cramulus

I don't think eliminating "pain" is a core part of the transhumanist movement.

There's a cool series about some Posthumanists in Transmetropolitan #7.
(post-human always sounded like posthumous to me)

So this sect of people in Transmet have download their consciousness into a cloud of nanobots and let their bodies die. They're still human, but their bodies are amorphous pink clouds. One of the main characters is pissed because she thinks her boyfriend is killing himself, but really he's just being downloaded into a cloud.

Here's Spider Jerusalem explaining how the movement got started:

spider calls them "post biological" humans.

Since people ITT might be interested, I uploaded the whole comic. There's some really good discussion in there, and it's pretty short.  If you're interested, check it out here: http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/discordman/bin/transmet%207/

Golden Applesauce

H+ intrigues me, mostly because physical limitations suck.  We can only hold about 7 items in working memory at a time.  Can't really multitask.  Our productivity drops dramatically when we get tired, cold, or hungry.  Good enough for hunter-gatherers, not good enough for me.

Essentially, I just want to be able to read every book in a library simultaneously, and remember as much as I want to - stuff that computers can already do.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.