News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

What Does An Obama Win Mean?

Started by AFK, November 06, 2008, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Who the hell knows?

I voted for the guy.  I have hopes for what he can do for the US of A, but I still have at least one foot on the ground.  The expectations should be kept in check that he can somehow topple The System.  At the very most, we can hope that he can give it the slightest nudge that might cause it to slightly alter its course.  He's not going to move mountains, he's not going to part seas, and in his acceptance speech, he made that much perfectly clear.  He acknowledge that it is entirely likely that the major policy initiatives he begins, may not completely bear fruit until after his first term, if then.

However, I think it is entirely appropriate to label his Presidency as one of a Transitional nature.  And this isn't solely because of the man and his makeup.  To be sure that is an element of this transition.  The other, of course, is the time.  We are at a transitory moment in our history.  We are at a transition point in terms of demographics.  The baby boomers are retiring and beginning to take the geriatric perch at the top of the American lifespan.  The White Man will soon be in the minority, when compared to all of the other creeds and ethnicitys that make up the American Populous.  We are at a transition point in terms of energy.  It is quite clear that Big Oil's days are numbered.  Unless we go into "Shock and Awe" exploration and drilling, the inventories will dry up in our lifetimes.  It is time to find that next thing that will power our homes and our automobiles.  With just these two huge landmark shifts, it is imperative to have leadership that can help us get from Point A to Point B.  This will be part of President Obama's charge.  And of course, it will be our charge to make sure he keeps his eyes on the road while he is steering.

What is known is that a significant majority of the electorate has recognized this time of transition that we are in, and that it is time for a newer and more modern perspective to guide the way.  The paradigms of yesterday were rejected in favor of the possibilities of tomorrow.  The palpable sense of needing to move on is pervasive.  But equally as prominent is the uncertainty of the unknown.  And so he needs to be as reassuring as he is realistic.  To be as certain as he is seeking.  To be as commanding as he is collaborating.

And so, what does an Obama win mean?  As of now, all we know is that it means a new story will begin to be written and told.  But it does not mean we just sit and watch the events unfold.  He has said he will ask and expect our support in his efforts.  He will make a call for service in the redirection of America's path.  Some will answer, some will not.  But what is clear is what has always been so.  This is OUR future that he is attempting to shape.  This means it is OUR time to make sure we are a part of that.

Because the reality is that when someone asks "What Does An Obama Win Mean?", we will have a big influence on how that is answered.

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

It means the pendulum is swinging back the other way.  Sure, not in the grand, swift movements the other Western countries (aka Yurp) would like to see, but enough to make me happier about a presidency than I've been in more than 10 years.

We'll see how far the swing takes us and into what territory.  I'd like to say, "There's only one way things can look from now on--UP!" but then I've been bitten in the ass by that sort of statement before.

So, I'll tamp down my hope and excitement over the OVERWHELMING win Obama got 2 days ago, and just cautiously sit and watch and listen.  For now.

Suu

Folks are going to anticipate immediate change though, and it doesn't work like that, even Obama himself knows it doesn't work like that and said so in his victory speech.

Part of politics is appeasing the mob, and when he doesn't fix everything within a few days of taking the office, the bumfuck public is going to get ripshit.

He's not going to empower the blacks and minorities like they think he's going to (much like the GOP was hoping to get the womens vote for Palin hoping they had the same idea). I watched the news yesterday and this black punk was on TV like, "I can finally do something with my life now that we got a black president, yo."

It doesn't work like that, asshole. You've had those equal rights for years now, not to mention you're from Providence probably born and raised, not Alabama or Mississippi or some state where the KKK is gonna lynch you for wanting a fucking job, and if anything, you should use him as a role model and strive to be like him rather than expecting him to make things better for you.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Well, that's because people are stupid and don't know how the system works...Obama already built that into his speech on Tuesday night, though, I thought.

AFK

Quote from: Jenne on November 06, 2008, 07:08:07 PM
Well, that's because people are stupid and don't know how the system works...Obama already built that into his speech on Tuesday night, though, I thought.

He did.  And also I think he made that quite clear thoughout his campaign.  I watched and listened to him very carefully since he won the GE.  It's been clear to me when he talks about "Change" it didn't mean acheiving wholesale change in his first 100 days, let alone, his entire 4 year term.  The conversations were about the beginnings of change and the beginnings of solutions.  The economic crisis is going to take time to solve.  Energy transition is going to take time, and indeed, probably isn't acheivable in one 4-year term.  It's about setting wheels in motion.  Patience will be required as he gets started. 

Suu

Exactly but...again. The mob.

Time for bread and circuses to let the politicians do their job unhindered.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bruno

Quote from: Suu on November 06, 2008, 06:51:24 PM
Folks are going to anticipate immediate change though, and it doesn't work like that, even Obama himself knows it doesn't work like that and said so in his victory speech.

Part of politics is appeasing the mob, and when he doesn't fix everything within a few days of taking the office, the bumfuck public is going to get ripshit.

He's not going to empower the blacks and minorities like they think he's going to (much like the GOP was hoping to get the womens vote for Palin hoping they had the same idea). I watched the news yesterday and this black punk was on TV like, "I can finally do something with my life now that we got a black president, yo."

It doesn't work like that, asshole. You've had those equal rights for years now, not to mention you're from Providence probably born and raised, not Alabama or Mississippi or some state where the KKK is gonna lynch you for wanting a fucking job, and if anything, you should use him as a role model and strive to be like him rather than expecting him to make things better for you.

The belief that the south is more racist than the rest of the country is a myth.
Formerly something else...

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on November 06, 2008, 07:50:54 PM
The belief that the south is more racist than the rest of the country is a myth.
True.
I've lived in a decent number of places, and i'd say, for instance, that new jersey was much more racist than texas or alabama or florida...

AFK

Umm, I'm not sure it is possible, or useful, to try to determine what part of the country is more racist than the other.  Racism is everywhere in the U.S. end of story. 

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 06, 2008, 07:58:45 PM
Umm, I'm not sure it is possible, or useful, to try to determine what part of the country is more racist than the other.  Racism is everywhere in the U.S. end of story. 
Point is, there are people that have never been to 'the south' that constantly spout off about how redneck and racist we are.  They are wrong.

That One Guy

Quote from: Iptuous on November 06, 2008, 08:00:26 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 06, 2008, 07:58:45 PM
Point is, there are people that have never been to 'the south' that constantly spout off about how redneck and racist we are.  They are wrong.

That's a perception thing, though. Racism is either overt or covert. In the south, it tends to be perceived as a bit more overt than in the north. Confederate flags as part of the state flag? The south. Racism? Everywhere.

Just look at Boston in the 60s and the whole busing issue. It was arguably worse in Boston than it was in many places in the deep south, and for a LONG time there has been an undercurrent of covert racism in this town. The discrimination was (and to a lesser degree still is) present in an unacknowledged way, but was/is definitely present. Irish vs. Black has been a long-standing conflict in Boston and it's really only in the last 10 years or so that that has started to shift. And Boston, the capital of Mass,  is in the heart of the "liberal elite" of New England.

Does that mean everyone in Boston (or anywhere else for that matter) is necessarily racist due to where they are or where they're from? No.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Suu

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on November 06, 2008, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 06, 2008, 06:51:24 PM

I needed an example. I've also lived in Florida where there is still things called desegregation because the blacks still choose to live in a certain part of the city, and I've also done my fair share of time in Alabama where they publish KKK rallies in the fucking Dothan Eagle.

Not saying that the rest of the country isn't racist, far from it, it's just much more pronounced down south, because a chunk of people (not ALL of them) down there still think they're fighting the Civil War.

I just don't see it up here in Rhode Island like I did down there. Christ. It's a matter of perspective.

East Coast Hustle

I have been all over the US and the most racist place I have ever spent time in is Southern Michigan, followed closely by New Hampshire.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

I think I can start trusting southerners when they stop referring to The Civil War as The War of Northern Aggression.  But it's true that us *REDACTED* [STATE] liberal elite are in no short supply of racism.  Count a few of my family among them.  If you want to examine ignorance as a regional phenomenon you'll have to take an in-depth look at the entire fucking world.

Unfortunately, much of Obama's time is going to be spent dismantling the engine of stupidity elaborately built in the last 8 years by our administration and their blind engineers.  I do think you're on to something with it requiring the support of the American people.  If anyone can kick us into action it's this guy.  My personal favorite part of his election night speech was to the effect of "To those of you whose support I have not yet earned...I will be your president too."  And I do think this is genuine.  This is a guy with a lot of ambition and no short supply of ego, but he's very much all business and very much interested in getting people to understand and listen to one another.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 08, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
I think I can start trusting southerners when they stop referring to The Civil War as The War of Northern Aggression. 
In that case, I think you're going to be waiting until we start referring to it as 'The First War of Norther Aggression'.  :wink:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 08, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
Unfortunately, much of Obama's time is going to be spent dismantling the engine of stupidity elaborately built in the last 8 years by our administration and their blind engineers.  I do think you're on to something with it requiring the support of the American people.  If anyone can kick us into action it's this guy.  My personal favorite part of his election night speech was to the effect of "To those of you whose support I have not yet earned...I will be your president too."  And I do think this is genuine.  This is a guy with a lot of ambition and no short supply of ego, but he's very much all business and very much interested in getting people to understand and listen to one another.
Are you saying that you think Obama will be able to be a unifying force , or just that he desires to be?  Because some of the policies that he supports, i can't see being anything other than very divisive.