Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins?

Demi-Lich
21 (67.7%)
Tarrasque
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Cainad (dec.)

And by "forever" he means maybe a year or two, save for a hardcore base that HATE HAET HATS 4e forever.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 30, 2009, 10:30:17 PM
The very fact you learned 4e instead of 3.5 will brand you as an annoying newb pretty much forever.   :argh!:

B-b-but when I asked someone about getting into it he gave me the 4e rulebook to look at.   :cry:

I used to own a 3e rulebook and dm guide but I never ended up picking either up.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Golden Applesauce

There's a lot of active games on this site - I used to play there a while ago, but got too busy.  Everything from 2e up to 4e, with occasional other RPGs as well.
http://www.dndonlinegames.com/cmps_index.php

If you want to learn 3.5 (which I strongly recommend) the SRD has just about all of what you need:
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/basics.html

Notably, it doesn't include a lot of material from the DMG [dungeon master's guide].  But not much has changed in the DMG since 3.0... except the magic items, which are all in the SRD.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cramulus

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 30, 2009, 10:19:34 PM
Bump, since I figured this was a good venue for my post.

I've been really wanting to get into D&D recently, for the first time.  I've read through and mostly digested the 4e rulebook with hopefully a solid enough grasp on the material that I could create a decent character and make it through a play session without being too much the annoying newb.  Anyway, I don't know very many people who play and the local hobby shops don't seem to run consistent games.  I was wondering if anyone had tips for how to find more players (like a forum someone know of for that purpose), or if anyone here is starting up a game looking for some players.  I'm in the south coast of MA, seemingly close to many here.

oh man, south coast of Mass? You don't know it, but your area is stupid thick with LARPs which are actually really good.

Seriously, I play two LARPs right on the CT/MA border. MA & NH are the hotspots for LARPs in the USA.

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?

Eater of Clowns

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

PopeTom

Finding a game as a player can be tough.  On the other hand starting a game as a DM is only slightly less tough, mostly depending on the age of your peer group.

Wizards of the Coast have a forum for aid in looking for players.  You might also check to see if your local gaming shop has a posting board for people looking for games.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

The very fact you learned 4e instead of 3.5 will brand you as an annoying newb pretty much forever.   :argh!:

as long as you and your friends are having fun playing there is no wrong RPG system.  Anything else is misdirected nerd rage.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 31, 2009, 01:11:51 AM
But I don't WANNA LARP.   :x

Many LARPers also table top.  For them it is like methadone is to a heroine user.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

The Dark Monk

Quote from: PopeTom on July 31, 2009, 01:17:56 AM

as long as you are in control and are having fun playing there is no wrong RPG system.  Everyone else is immersed in misdirected nerd rage.

Fixed for totalitarian inevitability.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Requia ☣

as long as you and your friends are having fun playing there is no wrong RPG system.  Anything else is misdirected nerd rage.

I never said it was a bad system.  Its just not D&D.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

PopeTom

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 31, 2009, 01:45:53 AM

I never said it was a bad system.  Its just not D&D.

It says D&D on the cover and is printed by the trademark owners.

What is your definition of D&D?
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: GA on July 30, 2009, 11:05:52 PM
There's a lot of active games on this site - I used to play there a while ago, but got too busy.  Everything from 2e up to 4e, with occasional other RPGs as well.
http://www.dndonlinegames.com/cmps_index.php

If you want to learn 3.5 (which I strongly recommend) the SRD has just about all of what you need:
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/basics.html

Notably, it doesn't include a lot of material from the DMG [dungeon master's guide].  But not much has changed in the DMG since 3.0... except the magic items, which are all in the SRD.

Alright, now hopefully I won't find those sites blocked at work so I can read it a bit today.

Quote from: Cramulus on July 31, 2009, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 30, 2009, 10:19:34 PM
Bump, since I figured this was a good venue for my post.

I've been really wanting to get into D&D recently, for the first time.  I've read through and mostly digested the 4e rulebook with hopefully a solid enough grasp on the material that I could create a decent character and make it through a play session without being too much the annoying newb.  Anyway, I don't know very many people who play and the local hobby shops don't seem to run consistent games.  I was wondering if anyone had tips for how to find more players (like a forum someone know of for that purpose), or if anyone here is starting up a game looking for some players.  I'm in the south coast of MA, seemingly close to many here.

oh man, south coast of Mass? You don't know it, but your area is stupid thick with LARPs which are actually really good.

Seriously, I play two LARPs right on the CT/MA border. MA & NH are the hotspots for LARPs in the USA.

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?

No, I don't.   :?

Quote from: PopeTom on July 31, 2009, 01:19:56 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 31, 2009, 01:11:51 AM
But I don't WANNA LARP.   :x

Many LARPers also table top.  For them it is like methadone is to a heroine user.

Now I do.

I appreciate the info everyone.  I'm actually pretty excited to get started, so I hope I can find a game.  I dug through some old stuff and found an almost complete set of dice from about 10 years ago that I used for...purposes I care not to admit here.  It's missing the d12, unfortunately, but there is an extra d20 in there that's really cool.  I have a good feeling about that d20.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

PopeTom

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 01, 2009, 10:51:09 PM
yeah and you can always just add 2 d6es.

Won't swapping out linear probability for bell cure probability make things kind of wonky?
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!