News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

WARNING: D&D TALK

Started by Cramulus, November 14, 2008, 04:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins?

Demi-Lich
21 (67.7%)
Tarrasque
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 13, 2009, 08:35:49 PM
Quote from: GA on May 31, 2009, 10:10:52 PM
This reminds me, I should run a D&D game on here.  Anybody interested?

ETA: 2^10th post! w00t!

I'm interested, but it must be version 3.5 or earlier!

I consider the new 4th edition to be an unabashed attempt to rip off all of the loyal players who had just shelled out Hundreds of dollars for version 3.5...

Any updated version of anything can be seen as an attempt to rip off those who bought the previous version, however...

<---- $500+ in 3.0 and 3.5 sourcebooks

so yeah, I'm getting my goddamn money's worth out of that shit.

Cain

You could have just, you know, stolen them from online.

Maybe not the core books, but certainly most of the supplementary ones (I mean, why would you need two books for psionics, unless your aim was to fuck over your fanbase?)

Cainad (dec.)

Yeah, I could do that now. Already have, actually.

Back then, I was a naive, internet-clueless little twit.

Cain

Ah.

I downloaded pretty much all of them for a friend.  Now, whenever I go around his place, I am pretty much guaranteed an ice cold beer or three.  For life.

8)

Also, that means if GA does want to plan a game, I am more than happy to provide possibly missing source material.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

GA, you can be my Dungeon Master any day!!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Scribbly

Hrrrrrm...

Well, I'm working on a thieves guild campaign using a different system (Anima) for my home group over the summer. I can't help but wonder if you guys might also get a kick out of it.

Of course, I'd have to finish building the damn city first.

If I taught myself DnD 3.5 well enough to give it a shot, would anyone be interested in a play by post? Though... I have no idea how you handle rolls in that sort of thing. Honor system I guess?
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on June 14, 2009, 12:25:48 PM

Maybe not the core books, but certainly most of the supplementary ones (I mean, why would you need two books for psionics, unless your aim was to fuck over your fanbase?)

Physical copies of books help a lot for in person gaming, since their easier to pass around and flip through.

For online gaming I pirate everything though, even the stuff I own (I have a copy of Mutants and Masterminds 2E I never even opened because the bookmarks in the PDF are so nice).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

True.  This is why work printers and knowing other peoples access codes is highly encourged.

Triple Zero

I own one 3.0 PHB and have been doing with that since ages :) Having a DMG (be it 3.0 or 3.5) might have been handy later on when I went to make some adventures or putting together higher level characters, but that's it.

Usually when we play with a group we play some sort of mish mash between 3.0 and 3.5 allowing people to kind of pick stuff depending on what books they own or what version character they prepared. Yeah it's not entirely strict and you often get an advantage from it as a player, but it works and it's fun. We specifically do it this way so that people that do not want to don't have to buy new rulebooks, and whoever wants to join in can use the new ones. It's a kind of loose group that comes together every once in a while and plays a single-weekend campaign, so that works best.

As for the supplementaries, people just throw them all in a large stack and see what we got. If you need to prepare a character you can use a PDF, and if you cannot do without the supplementary rulebook you should have picked a different prestige class or make better notes on your character sheet (which is IMO always preferable to using a rulebook, having a few things specific to your char ready on a few pieces of paper is much easier than browsing a book every turn)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

That sounds like a good idea...

....anyway, going back to my rant about 4e, the only upside that I can see about Fourth Edition is that we could potentially use it to generate clean energy by setting up an electric turbine powered by Gary Gygax spinning in his grave!
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

PopeTom

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 16, 2009, 01:50:58 AM
That sounds like a good idea...

....anyway, going back to my rant about 4e, the only upside that I can see about Fourth Edition is that we could potentially use it to generate clean energy by setting up an electric turbine powered by Gary Gygax spinning in his grave!

You've been ranting about 4th edition?

I hadn't noticed, let lose with the nerd rage already.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Golden Applesauce

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I own the 4ed PHB, but only because one of my relatives got it for me as a birthday present a while back.

Pros: It's pretty damn balanced.  Fighters finally got on par with the other classes.  Oh, and spell levels finally make sense.  If I played 4th ed, I'd never have to tell a young wizard who just made 2nd level that he doesn't actually get 2nd level spells until 3rd level.

Con: They accomplished this by making every class the same.  Every single class has the essentially the same sorts of abilities - the difference is that "combat oriented" classes are more likely to roll against Armor than Reflex or Will.  I say "combat oriented" in quotes because now 95% of every classes abilities are variations on attacks.  Even the so-called "Utility" abilities are more likely to be things like tactical movement or buffs.  And in doing this they took out a LOT of the customization available, which was one of my favorite things in 3/3.5 .  4ed might have more streamlined combat, but you can't lay awake for hours on end reading through the books and coming up with clever spell and ability combos in the same way any more.  Since I tend to spend more time alone in my room than actually playing, I like systems where the preparation is in itself fun.

Quote from: Cain on June 14, 2009, 12:25:48 PM

Surprisingly, WotC released most of the 3.5 core stuff, plus the Expanded Psionics Handbook, Epic Level Handbook, Unearthed Arcana, and a few others into some kind of weird pseudo-public domain thing ("Open Gaming License") so other companies could make 3rd party expansions more legally.  (It's hard to design monsters without referencing copyrighted mechanics.)  http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html is the version I use, since it has hyperlinks.  It's so awesome to be able to click on a spell and get the full description in a new tab, or check out the exact stats of the monster it summons, or figure out what "fatigued" does, and which book it was in, rather than paging through stacks of rapidly deteriorating "hardcover" sourcebooks.

Also the 3.0 psionics sucked hairy goat balls.  3.5 finally made the various psionic classes make sense.  (I am told that in 1st and 2nd ed, psions were like unto tiny gods if they rolled the right special abilities or something.)
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cramulus

In 2nd edition, our party psionicist was trying to prove to us that he was more powerful than our entire party combined. We disagreed.

In the next room, there was an adult gold dragon, the hook for the adventure we were returning from. The psionicist bet us he could kill the dragon singlehandedly. No way, we said, our whole party couldn't take that dragon.

The psionicist gave himself immunity to acid, teleported into the dragon's stomach, drove a +2 spear out of his belly, then teleported back to us. Then he teleported the spear back into his hands. He repeated this until the dragon was dead.

At this point, my paladin changed careers. For several reasons.  :p

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cramulus on June 16, 2009, 04:44:54 PM
In 2nd edition, our party psionicist was trying to prove to us that he was more powerful than our entire party combined. We disagreed.

In the next room, there was an adult gold dragon, the hook for the adventure we were returning from. The psionicist bet us he could kill the dragon singlehandedly. No way, we said, our whole party couldn't take that dragon.

The psionicist gave himself immunity to acid, teleported into the dragon's stomach, drove a +2 spear out of his belly, then teleported back to us. Then he teleported the spear back into his hands. He repeated this until the dragon was dead.

At this point, my paladin changed careers. For several reasons.  :p

There's a reason modern teleportation spells don't let you teleport inside of living creatures.   :lulz:
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.